My identity is living it up in Great Britain

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm staying at nice hotels, ordering merchandise on-line...just having a grand time in the UK! Or my twin is.

Luckily, my twin was only using one credit card...expensive tastes you know. Happily, that credit card is issued by a very dynamic organization. They notified me through their fraud division. Wanted to know if I was really jetting around the ponds and enjoying the best the world had to offer.

I let them know that, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't left CST since May. They wiped out all the fraudulant charges and killed the account for me. I'll call them in a few days to find out what they might tell about their investigation.

So, I'm killing all of my other accounts just to be safe...or paranoid as it were. Ya know, it's not really paranoia if they are really after you. Yes, I do all the normal stuff and some extraordinary stuff to be careful about identity theft. In this case it wasn't identity really, just a credit card number. I never would have predicted it could happen to me but there I was, in a swanky hotel outside London, ordering up parts to complete my robot...girl robot. This is going to be the best prom ever! NOT!!

As I gain information and knowledge about this occurance that is not generally known I'll post it. This has turned out well but I thought it may be good to tell you guys about it and see what you have to say.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope they catch the guy. And then give you five minutes alone with him just before they lock him up for 20-30 years.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak,

You might want to get ahold of These credit bureaus to see if this joker has opened any other accounts in your name.

Equifax 1-800-525-6285
Experian 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union 1-800-680-7289

Identity theft really Pi***s me off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Any idea how he got your C.C. number?

If necessary, the number to the Federal Trade Commission:
1-877-438-4338

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Silviron. I have a feeling that you might be able to deliver my message of discontent more potently than can I. So if I get that 5 minutes I'd like to send you some first class tickets on the perps personal credit card to fly out and assume the role of guest speaker.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
tiktok 22-

Thanks. Good information. I have to admit I didn't do that tonight but will in the morning. I'm trying to narrow down the source and have a suspicion but I want to see what the fraud division might reveal. I would say one of the expenses way very telling.

- Jeff

Tomas

Banned
As an additional safeguard see if you can convince the credit bureaus to set a flag to require stronger-than-usual ID checks when granting credit (they supposedly offer this to folks who have recently experienced something like this).

You might also wish to consider asking your card issuers to flag the individual accounts to request an ID check when the card is used - some will do this, others just laugh. Rudely.

I'm not sure how this would affect mail-phone-internet ordering where there is no physical presence, but ...

One last item: GO HERE: FTC Identity Theft home page (Hint for all the rest of us: Bookmark that page!)

T_sig6.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

I hope it gets straightened out? This is scary.

Wilkey

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This happened to me also...they had paid a big cell-phone bill and paid for hotels with it. I discovered it when my bill came. I called the CC co. and explained that, while I would love to travel, I haven`t been out of Florida in ten years or so. They asked me if I had my card or if it had been stolen...it was still sitting in my wallet. And they removed the charges and issued me a new cc card and account number. They said they would investigate it...I called a couple months later to see what they found out...but discovered they would not tell me anything one way or another. Guess they keep these things secret.

A friend of mine realy is having a fight...he started dating a lady and moved in with her. He kept an apartment for himself as he did not like feeling tied down. But he started to recieve mail at her address as he was there more than at his place...after 5~6 months they broke up.

To help pay the mortgage payment the lady took on several room mates and began dating some other guy/guys. Any way after many months my friend recieved a CC bill then another from a differant company. The total charges being just short of $20,000. He called the credit card companies and explained that he didn`t have any c card with these companies.

Whomever had done the identity theft had pulled the CC applications and other info on my friend out of the mail box at his x-girlfreinds and filled them out. They then made purchases...and here is the big problem...THEY MADE SEVERAL PAYMENTS...and...called the companies to ask for credit limit increases. And they did! With the new high limits they bought neat stuff from Best Buy...Home Depot...and had a ball.

After they ran the cards up to the limit they called the C card companies and put in a change of address...to my friends place. The C card companies are not willing to eat it...and my friend has had to hire an attorney to fight this.

I`m not sure you should close all your accounts...it could/will hurt your credit score.

Ken

Mutie

Enlightened
It happened to us last year. All three credit bureaus have a special division for this and will send you a free credit report of your account to review. Make sure you get them and check for other stuff. Also activate the fraud alert or whatever they call it so that any new accounts have to be verified by you before they are granted.

Your case sounds more like someone got ahold of your CC number. In our case whoever it was had our SSN's and names and opened new accounts. I ripped the issuer a new one for opening 2 accounts at different addresses than either of our employment addresses and our home address all of which are listed on our credit report. We have been buying our home since 1990. Their response was well people move. Which is true but in our case it seems like a sale would have shown. Very sloppy of the granter.

All the charges were dropped and the stuff removed. But I'm still paranoid from that and none of the computers I use have our names, SSN's or addresses on them anywhere. Well my work computer has my real name but there are 2 or 3 pages of identical ones in the phone book and I'm not listed.

Good luck and I really hope they catch the guy.

Mutech

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just a few tips:

1. Never throw away personal information or CC applications. Shred or burn them.

2. Never put your SSN or drivers licience number on your checks. For that matter, I never put more than my address. If somebody wants to see my I.D., to cash a check, then so be it.

3. If you shop online, make sure you have up to date patches and a secure browser. There is a lot of info on this topic here at CPF. Just search.

4. Never give personal info to telemarketers or somebody claiming to help you over the phone.

5. Never reply to e-mails asking for personal info. Again, there are theads here at CPF covering the topic.(can you say Ebay?)

6. If you have an ATM card, never give out the pin number. If possible, use it only at facilities that issued that card. Not a no name machine in a convenience store.

These jokers generally do this out of opportunity. They're not targeting anyone specifically. If you make it difficult for them to acces your info, they'll usually move on to easier prey.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info, Tom.

Wilkey -

I think this is straight now but I'm going to be even more vigilant especially of on-line purchases.

Ken -

Twenty grand? Sheeeeee*t! Makes a person want to pay a visit. Of course, the legal route is best but still... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Also, I should have said stop the other accounts and get re-issued cards. Thanks.

Mutech -

"People move?" Well, alrighty then. Yes, sloppy granter. Glad to hear you got your deal handled.

Thanks for the good words, all.

- Jeff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
. If you have an ATM card, never give out the pin number. If possible, use it only at facilities that issued that card. Not a no name machine in a convenience store.

[/ QUOTE ]

And take a quick look at the machine before you scan your card through it. While I think there have been cases of the entire machine being made up, the one I know I have heard at least 2 different cases of was where they attach their own reader just below the real reader. That way as you swipe your card down through the real one, you also pass through theirs. It runs to a recorder in back and they can clone as many cards as they want. Then it's just a matter of looking over your shoulder or guessing at your pin number.

The ATMs that I've seen where you scan the card instead of putting it in the slot all have only one reader head. You can see it if you peek into the slot. On one side you'll see a bit of spring or something to press the card up against the reader head on the other side. Looks like like a tape deck head. If your ATM has one of those, and another one stuck on just below the main slot, you probably shouldn't run your card through it.

This is by no means a common way to do it, but it's happened and you should keep an eye out.

The most common way it happens is they go dumpster diving at restaurants or businesses and find the receipt carbons or something like that.

Kirk

Enlightened
Icebreak,
Did the bad guy have a counterfeit credit card? If not, what hotel or store or ??? just allows you to give them a card number and not show a real piece of plastic? Or were all the transactions over the phone or internet?
Another gripe I have is when I write a check at the local grocery store and show them my ID, the clerk says "We don't need to see your license; you're in the 'system'". No, foolish person, my ACCOUNT is in your system. How do you know it's me writing the check and not some thief? Then they look at you like you've got 2 heads or something. Go figure.
Kirk

Bill.H

Enlightened
American Express is doing something new now, the clerk at the store said they are the only ones who do it. When you/they swipe your credit card, you have to go to the keypad (where PINs are entered for ATM/debit cards) and put in your zip code. Not a great security thing, but it should help in cases where someone gets their hands on the physical card.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the folks at the local mall have all been given new training in credit cards. I had to show my ID for all 4 purchased I made there the other day, while 2 weeks ago I wasn't asked for my ID once. The first purchase I made was a Radio Shack and they have never needed my ID before, I didn't think anything of it, but i was buying electronics parts and as I walked on carrying my bag of switches and batty holders I thought perhaps it was some new policy of getting further info on people that were buying bomb parts or something. The only things my parts were destined to kill were a few AA batteries in a new flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif the guy behind the counter took me by surprised by asking me what I was working on and I was daydreaming or something and replied with a very generic "oh, nothing too interesting, just stuff" or something like that and I though perhaps he though i was being evasive and so took more of my info than usual. but then as I visited the book store and the hallmark store I got asked at all of them, then finally buying some new underwear on the way out I asked the clerk about it and it was new training they had all just had about it.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kirk -

I'm not sure about the counterfeit thing. I believe one was definitely over the phone. Some of the others could have been internet. I'll PM you the vendors. It may not be wise for me to publish them to world.

Count me in for being two-headed. I politely ask some pointed questions from time to time myself.

Bill.H -

Not the greatest method you've described AE using but the effort is good. ZC might not be a key field but it's something most people have memorized and if there is any hesitation in the answer maybe that raises a flag. I like it.

James -

Maybe the retailers are now more sensitive to the idea that some individuals think this is the season of thieving. I hope they continue with these policies. It benefits the consumers which, in turn, benefits the stores.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
we closed out our PayPal credit card account 5 monthes ago, I'm still getting bills, it's taken legal action to get various credit card companies to stop sending us applications, Credit Card companies are not our friends. and we NEVER put SS Numbers on anything that don't actualy legaly require it (it's illegal for companies to demand a SS number to provide a service) NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. and remember, most credit card numbers are stolen from web sites.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some things I have done to try to prevent identity theft.

Shred all sensitive documents
Only have 1 credit card with alerts that are sent when spending exceeds my set limit.
Not storing CC numbers on googles ''autofill'' or AOLs ''Wallet''

I don't remember the member name, but when I lost my wallet and made a post here a while ago, he alerted me of the three credit agencies so I could file a fraud alert. Thanks again!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a lot of experience with credit card fraud, both on the retail side (as a loss prevention/fraud investigator for a major Dept. Store) and the law enforcement side. I had a nack for spotting counterfeit cards, and helped break an international fraud ring operating out of Hong Kong. Even had the Secret Service doing surveillance on the bad guys.

Anyways, from my viewpoint, the credit card companies, unless it's a HUGE loss, could care less about the whole issue. The loss is insignificant to the amount of money they make.
To protect yourself:
--SHRED everything!
--get a P.O. Box, it's more secure than any outside-the-house box
--Have only two credit cards: One for online use and one for regular purchases. Track everything, and keep receipts to conduct a monthly self audit. American Express is the most secure credit card (the real AMEX, not the "blue" card).
--NEVER give up your credit card to a point where it's out of your possession (i.e. restaurants). This is how most numbers are taken to be used on counterfeit cards.
--Always sign the back, it's in your use policy. "C-ID" or "see ID" is not acceptable, adn stores if theya re following the use agreements should not acept those cards.
--If your ATM card is also a Visa or MC check card, GET RID OF IT, and ask your bank for a ATM card only.

--dan