x3t maglite dropin module

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
a while ago, i made a 5w dropin for the maglite with a v2t luxeon, and really loved it.
sure, making it was a lot more work than just using a regular heatsink, but i could drop it into any dcell maglite body i wanted, and get a better runtime, or better size, or increased brightness, etc.
the design worked extremely well, but i thought it had a little room for improvment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dsc00020.jpg

here is a top view. the led is perfectly centered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dsc00012.jpg

here is a pic of the module fromt he top without a head. the led is recessed down inside and the shroud has three purposes.
to protect the led. to help redirect light rom the sides and throw it in a forward flood. and to facilitate a large gripping area (this thing is tight!)

dsc00021.jpg

here you see the module fully inserted. you can see little "steps" which help provide enough grip to pull it back out of the body. it is also knurled in a very aggresive fasion.

dsc00023.jpg

here it is next to the old one. you'll notice it is a lot bigger. this helps improve surface area for killer thermal transfer.
also, you'll notice that both of them aren't perfectly polished. they are both very smooth, but taking it in and out of the maglite body create that effect, and polishing them up would reduce the diameter so that it isn't in as tight. it probably wouldn't hurt to reduce the diameter a little, but theres no real reason to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dsc00024.jpg

here is a picture from the backside. you'll notice that the solder blob is the pos connectoin, and the stalk is the neg connection, just like in a regular bulb.
robust electrical grounding is accomplished via a screw, and wrapping the wire around the base of the "bulb" several times.

dsc00025.jpg

here is the last picture, proving that the led is fully recessed, and able to stand on end if necessary.

i'm insanely pleased with the way this turned out! being an x3t, it is scarily bright, and stark white. it's from the same batch of x3t's as are in the mr-x.

i'm currently running it in a 2d mag with 3-123's, but other possible combinations are as follows:
2d mag running 3 123's
2d mag running 6 aa's
4d mag with 5 c's
5d mag running 5 d's
5d mag running 6 c's
6d mag running 6 d's
also the colors can be switched out at leisure
also, if the light gets damaged, dinged, the switch stops working, etc, i can just drop the module into another maglite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thermal goo can be applied to the heatsink to further transmittance, but even without it it should work better than most heatsinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i really wish i had a lux meter! running in a 6d maglite, this thing could potentially be the brightest single led flashlight ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
i wish i had more lights to compare it to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif it blows away everything else i have.

i actually finished this last night, but couldn't test it becaues the only stock mag i had was a 3d maglite, which doesn't work that well with any combonatoin. my 2d that i was using had the switch assembly break apart, so i was at a loss. finally it occured to me to switch switch assemblies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I LOVE versatile light, especially one with such HUGE sink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
nice work roth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The everled on steroids with it's guts (electronics) removed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

You guys are going to force me to buy a lathe if you don't stop it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT is not an everled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif
everled drives its led conservatively, while roth drives his liberally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
now now shifty, i could put this in a 4d maglite and run it conservatively /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (but i won't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

jtice

Flashaholic
Very nice work Roth.

I especially like the knurling. Adds a nice touch, and will make it alot easier to swap it out.

Very good use of a X3T. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks ticey

had the thing laying around for months trying to decide which mod to put it in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

going to bed now...goodnight everyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started another thread with the topic of running the X3T on 6 cells. It was said that the X3T should be left to being run with only 5 cells, or 7.5 volts to protect the LED. Are you worried that you may damage this X3T running it direct with a 9 volt battery setup?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally Roth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I really like the aggressive knurling you've made. This will make a nice quick and easy drop in for someone. Are you keeping it?

Orion.... it is called overdriving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but with the amount of heatsinking, it should be ok. And also, Roth is fearless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hotflash, i'm not 100% sure yet.
i really want to keep it, but i really want to be able to pay car insurance too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

orion, as with all lights, overdriving will reduce the life of the led. measures can be taken to insure that this isn't as much as a problem, heatsinking, not using it for as long at a time, etc. being a t bin (low vf), it means that i'm pushing it harder than 9v would be pushing v bin for instance.
running this at 9volts will cause the led do dim faster than running it specs, but i also get more brightness out of it. what's great about this mod is that i can run it at just about any level i want! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
if i do end up selling this, then whoever buys it can determine the level of drive they feel appropriate. i have about 8 minutes total runtime on it so far, using slightly depleted 123's, running probably somewhere around 8 volts.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Frothy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You forgot some possible battery configurations, though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2d mag running parallel stacks of 123's (2x3x123)
2d mag running 2 Pila 150S Li-ion rechargeables (2x150S)
2d mag running parallel stacks of Pila (2x2x150S)
3d mag running 6 "robot wars" 1/2-D NiCd

Granted, these might require either a resistor or some form of regulation circuit to keep from incinerating the emitter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Like maybe... a Magic Resistor (MR) circuit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Well, here ya go Roth... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
for this type of thing, fitting a converter in would have been impossible

the switch assembly could be modded though, with a resistor, or even a converter if necessary.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif ack, another X3T. I'm gonna have to go kick myself some more for missing the sale on them.

Nice work Roth!