Fenix LD22 Question ... ?

Dr.444

Enlightened
Hey :eek:

Does anybody knows the low mode Problem with Fenix LD22 is fixed with XPG-2 Update or not yet ?

& yes i search the forum & i know that it works fine with eneloops , i'm asking about alkalines !

valravn

Newly Enlightened
i can only tell you about the LD20, but that one does that when the battery voltage is still very high. (very new batteries). seems the driver is lazy ;D
seems it cant properly limit the current when voltage is a bit too high.. :( (I got the xp-g2 r5 version of it cause i dont like the sideswich of the 22)

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an LD20 too and I think Medium is nearly as bright as High when using fresh alkalines or lithiums. Don't remember what happens to low.

I don't think Fenix are planning to fix anything because for them this is probably by design and not an issue. For the actual users it depends on preferences and priorities: users who see this as an annoying issues because they plan to use alkalines (why?) or lithiums most of the time, then my recommendation is getting another light!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
alternatively you could get the ThruNite Archer 2A. it outputs some "272 ANSI lumens" on 2xAA :eek:

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Hey :eek:

Does anybody knows the low mode Problem with Fenix LD22 is fixed with XPG-2 Update or not yet ?

& yes i search the forum & i know that it works fine with eneloops , i'm asking about alkalines !

Actually I was just enjoying this light a few minutes ago. Its an awesome piece of engineering, as is my Fenix TK41 and TK50. I have this problem that each are my favorite light when I pick them up. All three are that good.

To answer your question, no, the LD22 with XP-G2 has the same problem with low mode when using fresh alkalines. Same with my TK41 U2 model, and my TK50. As I understand it, the issue is not with the specific emitter any particular light is using, but with the boost circuit Fenix uses and how it handles the relatively high voltages of brand new alkaline batteries.

And yes I know that you know it works fine with Eneloops and you're asking about alkalines but.... jeez, get yourself four eneloops and a decent charger and all your (LD22 related) problems will be solved!

Seriously, they really are awesome technology and worth the investment. Four Eneloops beat alkalines in almost any plausible scenario involving this light. And in any scenario where they don't, you're probably not missing Low mode in the preliminary stages of the alkaline batteries' life.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I was just enjoying this light a few minutes ago. Its an awesome piece of engineering, as is my Fenix TK41 and TK50. I have this problem that each are my favorite light when I pick them up. All three are that good.

To answer your question, no, the LD22 with XP-G2 has the same problem with low mode when using fresh alkalines. Same with my TK41 U2 model, and my TK50. As I understand it, the issue is not with the specific emitter any particular light is using, but with the boost circuit Fenix uses and how it handles the relatively high voltages of brand new alkaline batteries.

And yes I know that you know it works fine with Eneloops and you're asking about alkalines but.... jeez, get yourself four eneloops and a decent charger and all your (LD22 related) problems will be solved!

Seriously, they really are awesome technology and worth the investment. Four Eneloops beat alkalines in almost any plausible scenario involving this light. And in any scenario where they don't, you're probably not missing Low mode in the preliminary stages of the alkaline batteries' life.

Well done a man with a bit of common sense,was not rocket science to work it out.:thumbsup:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The issue with the Fenix design (and others I might add) is that in most cases even with new alkaline batteries, the battery voltage is pretty much below the forward voltage drop of the LED (Vf).........and therefore a boost circuit suffices.

I never use alkaline batteries but I do like to keep my 2x AA glove box light in my truck with 2 Energizer L91 lithium batteries and those guys have an even higher start voltage than a new alkaline. The reason I pick the L91's over Eneloop is that this is a light that is only used in an emergency and not very often and so I didn't want to put the Eneloops in it and have to wonder where they stood say 6 months to a year down the road.

The 2x AA is just in a sort of weird spot with the input voltage vs LED forward voltage drop. Best just to use Eneloops in 2x AA lights. I seem to remember that there are some lights that this isn't affected by such as those that will run up to 4.2v but that requires a buck/boost sort of circuit and those don't seem to be as efficient from what I've seen.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem you describe seems limited to Fenix's 2AA lights. All my 1AA and 4AA Fenix lights work fine with lithium cells. I don't entirely understand Fenix's persistence with this setup, as Foursevens lights get pretty good runtimes using a boost/buck circuit that allows a much broader range of voltage inputs. This is especially disappointing in their CR123 lights. I would buy more if RCR123's worked with all modes.

There's several things Fenix needs to remedy on their lights to make them just about perfect.

- input voltages

- o/p reflectors

- tail standing (honestly, how hard is this)

- better clip design (I have to modify mine to be comfortable)

- recessed mode changing side button (so it sits flush with body)

- factory holsters (they're really a waste of resources. Supply a good neck lanyard instead)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem you describe seems limited to Fenix's 2AA lights. All my 1AA and 4AA Fenix lights work fine with lithium cells. I don't entirely understand Fenix's persistence with this setup, as Foursevens lights get pretty good runtimes using a boost/buck circuit that allows a much broader range of voltage inputs. This is especially disappointing in their CR123 lights. I would buy more if RCR123's worked with all modes.

There's several things Fenix needs to remedy on their lights to make them just about perfect.

- input voltages

- o/p reflectors

- tail standing (honestly, how hard is this)

- better clip design (I have to modify mine to be comfortable)

- recessed mode changing side button (so it sits flush with body)

- factory holsters (they're really a waste of resources. Supply a good neck lanyard instead)
I agree with you on most of your list but:
O/P: I think that's a preference and I have to say my Fenix all have SMO and nearly all have pretty clean beams, several with not even the sligthest artifact. I have to admit what you find acceptable is also personal but I only got one Fenix light where the beam artifacts bother me. A good quality SMO reflector and proper alignment should solve the problem. I could definitely live with a ligth OP too if it didn't affect throw too much.

- better clip design: honestly I find the clips on the TK and PD series excellent. Never had a problem with any of them, never came off! The one on my LD20 is pretty solid too. The only one I find flimsy is the one of the LD10! Maybe you are used to another standard when it comes to clips?

- recessed mode changing side button: you've been very lenient I'd discard it all together! :D

Last edited: