removal of the lens-retaining ring on a KT5 bezel?

Mr HG

Enlightened
Please!
What is the best method for removing the lens retaining ring on my KT5 Bezel. I dont wanna destroy it, I just need to remove the pyrexlens to get access to the reflector.
There is always the option to send it to SFCS but the bezel itself is in such a bad shape. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Therefore I would like to try to remove the retaining ring myself.

Thanks,
Henrik

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: removal of the lens-retaining ring on a KT5 be

I believe you will find that if you heat the bezel to 170 F (I don't know the conversion in C) that the thread locking goo will soften or break down to the extent that you will be able to unscrew the bezel cap. A strap wrench will help if you need extra grip. If the cap is squeezed too hard, you are actually flattening it and causing the threads to bind in the flattened areas. A lighter grip at the outside end is sometimes more effective.

Mr HG

Enlightened

Thanks
I'll try to heaten up the sucker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif 170 is about 75 degress celcius, so boiling water should be more then sufficient.
The ring itself it threaded/screwed into the bezel right?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Yup! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr HG

Enlightened

It worked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But as I thought the reflector is "f.u.b.a.r" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
So what should I do, find a replacemet one that I can fit with some modification or sell it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Latest posts