It's LEDs, Not LED's

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same goes for any plural acronym, there is no apostrophe.

That is all.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Keep in mind we have many none native English speakers on CPF, I prefer to overlook all grammar and spelling errors, my own included. - Norm

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind we have many none native English speakers an CPF, I prefer to overlook all grammar and spelling errors, my own included. - Norm

That thought process is the only reason my brain doesn't explode all over my keyboard...

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thread starter is correct when talking about >1 LED = objects (plural). But sometimes not when talking about the behaviour of one, for example:

Note that the LED's current increases with lower resistor value.
Would be a correct sentence I think - apostrophe included. To be used when you meant "the LED his/hers/its current" where apostrophe-s is short for "his/hers/its" (or something along those lines anyway).

As for grammar Nazis: I try to pay attention to what I write (spelling included), as making too many mistakes makes me look stupid, which makes me depressed, which makes me want to kill myself. :hairpull:

.... just kidding! Other than that: who gives a @#*%?

Last edited:

buds224

Enlightened
As for grammar Nazis: I try to pay attention to what I write (spelling included), as making too many mistakes makes me look stupid, which makes me depressed, which makes me want to kill myself. :hairpull:

.... just kidding! Other than that: who gives a @#*%?

LOL, I know what you mean though. 95% of my edited posts are made up of grammar corrections and no change to the actual information. I do have an auto-correct feature in my head that helps me get through reading some posts.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I see that punctuation for acronyms all over the web, etc.

I see it as a way to distinguish between the acronym itself, and its plural, vs a new acronym, which could be confusing.

Another example is for items at are often referred to by a nominal size, such as 35" diameter tires are often referred to as 35's, and AA cells are referred to as AA's, and so forth. Its such a common usage that it would surprise me if it became an alternative way of expressing it.

I do cringe a little when I see it, but, I have decided that the context is always able to make it clear as to what is being communicated, and, for me at least, as long as we know what we mean, HOW it is expressed is OK.

When I receive communications from work, etc, I see what, to me, initially looked like code. A series of abbreviations and so forth that was confusing.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED isn't an acronym; it's an initialism. An acronym can be spoken as a word, such as radar or laser. I'm not sure what grammar says about initialisms. Seems like a lot of initialisms are written without the periods after each letter. i.e. CIA, FBI, ATT, etc.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
So long as we understand each other, I see no reason to quibble over variations in language that do not otherwise obfuscate the message.

Latest posts