Battery Disposal

TheFlash

Newly Enlightened
While playing with my seven (7) Surefires last night (still amazed at how I went from none to seven so quickly), I thought of a question to ask my fellow forumites:

What is the best way to dispose of old/drained CR123 batteries?
(e.g. Just throw 'em away, go to a special recycling center, etc. ???)

I'm not a 'tree hugger', but since they are Lithium batteries, they could pose an ecological threat...

Thanks,
Mike

2watt

Newly Enlightened
From what I've heard, NiCads are hurtful to the environment whereas the Lithium aren't. I found this in sales of new cell phones. New Lithium-ion batts are environmentally friendly.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
another related question:
I am alway wondering what would happen if the almost dead cells will short out in the garbage, meaning discharging the remaining energy in a short circuit.
will my garbage burn? is this a real risk or am I just paranoid?
bernhard

2watt

Newly Enlightened
I sometimes put 9v batts in a film container or put tape over the contacts. Normal 123s or c/d cells-- I think would be very hard to short out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hm ... depends on what else is on the garbage ... think of steel wool ... electric bass strings ...
bernhard

Kristofg

Enlightened
Aren't there any containers to collect old batteries in at the electronics stores? Every store here has such a special container and you just dump your used batteries in there so that they can be recycled as a certain amount of them contain heavy metals and are very bad for the environment.