4 Sevens Maelstrom MMU-X3 DOA?

AndrewKelley

Newly Enlightened
After a long time away from flashaholism, I'm getting back into lights. Can't believe how much things have changed in six or seven years. One of my first new additions is the 4 Sevens Maelstrom MMU-X3. Beautiful looking light. The only problem is that either the light, or the two TrustFire 26650s I bought for it, are DOA. This is my only light that uses that battery, so I'm not sure which is the culprit. I made sure the batteries are fully charged. They show ~4 volts on my multimeter (essentially the same reading as other known-good rechargeable lithium ion cells). But no joy with either one. Should I suspect the lights or the batteries? Suggestions? Similar experiences?

Thanks,Andrew

Last edited:

y260

Enlightened
I'd like to say the Trustfire batteries are the problem but you do have two of them and you say they appear to measure the correct capacity. Perhaps the batteries aren't the right height? Is their some sort of reverse polarity protection on the MMU-X3? I know with my SRT7, trustfire batteries don't work because the batteries are too short.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a long time away from flashaholism, I'm getting back into lights. Can't believe how much things have changed in six or seven years.

Welcome back Andrew! Six or seven years away from flashlights? That means you broke off before I even started with the serious flashlights addiction, and look at my collection now! Holy; the development since the last 5 years is impressive, so I really understand that you are impressed. In fact; I consider to take a long pause very soon. But it's not easy: I have said that several time before...

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something like a paperclip, or wire will work.
1- Remove the tailcap.
2- With the battery installed.
3- Place one end of the wire and touch the negative of the battery, and the other end of the wire to the exposed silver part of the body.
Not sure if I understand. Would I use a wire to make this connection?

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure you know this light does not have a clicky tailcap, and you are sure the tailcap is screwed all the way down. Not trying to sound negative, but sometimes it is something simple.

AndrewKelley

Newly Enlightened
Just make sure you know this light does not have a clicky tailcap, and you are sure the tailcap is screwed all the way down. Not trying to sound negative, but sometimes it is something simple.

Thanks. I figure that I'm missing something obvious, hence my post. However, I did try screwing the tailcap all the way down. No luck. Will try the wire-to-body test tomorrow morning when I can dig some wire out of my toolbox.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paper clip or any conductive metal will do. You don't really need a wire. Just connect the edge of the body to the negative side of the battery.

AndrewKelley

Newly Enlightened
Something like a paperclip, or wire will work.
1- Remove the tailcap.
2- With the battery installed.
3- Place one end of the wire and touch the negative of the battery, and the other end of the wire to the exposed silver part of the body.

OK, tried that. No dice either. (Tried with a couple of different batteries, just in case.) I also tried wiring up my multimeter in circuit between the negative terminal and the flashlight body. There is a current draw (~3 amps? I have an analog meter that is hard to read precisely). However, no light out the front.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you have to send it back to your dealer for an exchange. Sorry that it's DOA!! For what it's worth the MMU-X3 is an awesome light.
OK, tried that. No dice either. (Tried with a couple of different batteries, just in case.) I also tried wiring up my multimeter in circuit between the negative terminal and the flashlight body. There is a current draw (~3 amps? I have an analog meter that is hard to read precisely). However, no light out the front.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does suck, but better to have a DOA light, which can easily be replaced, than to have it fail later when you are counting on it. Talk to your vendor, and they should take care of it for you.

AndrewKelley

Newly Enlightened
I received a new light today. Works fine with my batteries, which confirms that the old light was the problem.

I must say that I'm impressed. Talk about a wall of light!

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. Much appreciated.

tonkem

Enlightened
Beamshots and pics would be appreciated. :)

I received a new light today. Works fine with my batteries, which confirms that the old light was the problem.

I must say that I'm impressed. Talk about a wall of light!

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. Much appreciated.