Fenix LD12 G2 14500's?

D4N

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I bought an Led Lenser P5E recently and didnt realise that it was the eco model at only 25Lumens not 100 as the normal one is.

Then i found out on here i shouldn't use rechargables. So after more research i bought the above one.
also ive seen various people talking about 14500 batteries vs AA. Firstly can i use those in the Fenix and if so what are the benifits?

ive not received it yet but i have seen some good reviews.

i really like the focus sustem on the Lenser but i know you guys on here are not big fans. "Overpriced"

Hopefully it will serve me well and i can add more to my collection over time.

thanks
dan

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
the light is unregulated with 14500, ~direct drive, and loses all modes. light is really bright and happy but 1 mode is uncool.

i'd stick with the LED LENSER. that's quality made in german :thumbsup:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some may not like one mode, but is it still safe voltage/heat wise for the light? And how bright does it make it?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't have a lightmeter. selfbuilt reviewed the light. you could ask him to measure it ;)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
i might give it a try as its so cheap.

what do you think?

I think you should spend some time reading the battery section, particularly the "smoke and fire" sub-section :)

D4N

Newly Enlightened
Oh ok its as bad as that.

i think ill just stick with the AA's in the Fenix then. :D

I was looking at the Qurk Foursevens range but didnt like the rotating bezel idea.

Doesnt it move whilst in your pocket?

i supose it cant be that bad as a lot of poeple on here seem to like them.

ill see how i get on with my fenix then maybe try a quark.

ive read that with the Quarks you can interchange the pieces. Is thtis true and to what extent are they interchangable?

sorry for all of the questions.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark can be legoed and so can Fenix lights. The difference is that I think for the Quark you can easily get a body 2xAA or 1xAA body. For Fenix lights is not that easy. I've seen LD20 and LD10 bodies for sale but never a LD22 or an LD12 body.

With a Quark you can buy a 2xAA and get a body for 1xAA and use the same head with 1xAA/14500 or 2xAA (not 2 14500). The big plus of the Quark is the voltage range: you get all the modes with a 14500. With a Fenix LD10/LD12 you only get all the modes when the 14500 voltage goes down and the battery is nearly depleted. So if you really want to use the light 14500, the Quark would be your best choice.

Make sure to stay away from the XXFire brands. There are several brands making 14500s and I remember reading good reviews of AW and Nitecore ones but if you do a few searches you'll find more realiable brands.

D4N

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much Labrador72.

Ill see how i get on with the Fenix. To be honest i prob don't even need 125 lumens from the Fenix.

But hey the heart wants what the heart wants :)

I did loo at the Quark but i don't like the ui.

D4N

Newly Enlightened
I think if i had the full power P5 I would have been happy.

When i looked at the manual the contact points are different. The Eco version just has a small piece of silver metal, where as the full power version has a copper spring. Either way i love the focus system.

Are there any other manufactures out there that have a similar system?

D4N

Newly Enlightened
Well I received my Fenix today.

It's a really nice bit of kit.

Seems really good around the house. I'll see how it performs in day to day use.

So far very impressed, but then for £40 I should be. :D