Fenix TK75 Question

AA#5

Newly Enlightened
I have a new TK75. I know that the light dims to the lower power after some time on the turbo (2900 lumen) mode to protect it from overheating, but mine does that after only 35 seconds on turbo. On the second try, it dims after only 8 seconds. Is the light defective?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
What cells do you use? Starting voltages?
Assuming nothing is wrong with the light, its Turbo mode is very much dependent on the HEALTH of the cells that you are using. Anything less in voltage/current required by it will shorten the time it stays in Turbo mode, stepping down to a less power-hungry High mode much earlier, and eventually in the lower modes only.

Last edited:

RCTPAVUK

Newly Enlightened
Can you record a video?
What kind of batteries do you use (brand, capacity,) what type of charger, charge levels on batteries and how many are in the carrier?

AA#5

Newly Enlightened
What cells do you use? Starting voltages?
Assuming nothing is wrong with the light, its Turbo mode is very much dependent on the HEALTH of the cells that you are using. Anything less in voltage/current required by it will shorten the time it stays in Turbo mode, stepping down to a less power-hungry High mode much earlier, and eventually in the lower modes only.

I'm using Orbtronic 3400 Mah. Sometimes I use the Orbtronic 2600. It stays the same time in turbo mode with both.

AA#5

Newly Enlightened
Can you record a video?
What kind of batteries do you use (brand, capacity,) what type of charger, charge levels on batteries and how many are in the carrier?

I'm using the "Soshine" rapid charger & I've tried recharging all four batteries. It still only stays in turbo for 30 seconds.

AA#5

Newly Enlightened
Batteries should be fine, in this case I don't trust the charger.

Well, I'm returning the charger & getting a better one. Also, I just looked in the manual & it says "The light will enter the "High" mode after 15 minutes on the turbo mode. Therefore, the stated runtime is accumulated." I'd be happy with 15 minutes, but not 35 seconds.

357mag1

Enlightened
I'm using Orbtronic 3400 Mah. Sometimes I use the Orbtronic 2600. It stays the same time in turbo mode with both.

Do you have a meter so you can actually check voltage on each battery? I would not play with Li-Ion's without a voltmeter to verify voltage readings.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Maybe the batteries are too cold. Mine will run over 20 minutes in turbo when the light is warm. After the light sits in my truck over night at 30 degrees, it will step down after 5 secs. After a little run time in high to let the batteries warm up, it will then run turbo for extended periods.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
AA#5,in which temperatures have you tested your TK75? Does it behaves the same indoors while it´s warm?

AA#5

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a meter so you can actually check voltage on each battery? I would not play with Li-Ion's without a voltmeter to verify voltage readings.

No, the charger is supposedly made by Orbtronic & it only has green indicators when the batteries are fully charged.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I've used it outside when it's 50 - 75 degrees. It rarely gets colder here in CA.

Then the issue is not caused by cold environment which otherwise impairs the performance. It sounds like either your 18650 batteries are defective or simply not fully loaded. Do you have a set of extra 18650 batteries that you can try your TK75 with? It would also be interesting if you could try to recharge the batteries you have in another charger to exclude the possibility of your charger maybe not charge as it should.

AA#5

Newly Enlightened
Then the issue is not caused by cold environment which otherwise impairs the performance. It sounds like either your 18650 batteries are defective or simply not fully loaded. Do you have a set of extra 18650 batteries that you can try your TK75 with? It would also be interesting if you could try to recharge the batteries you have in another charger to exclude the possibility of your charger maybe not charge as it should.

Ironically, I spoke to a person at "The Fenix Store" & she suggested it was probably a battery issue. I told her I've chatted with knowledgeable people on this forum & some have said the same thing. I returned the Orbtronic/Panasonic batteries and the cheap charger & ordered a Fenix charger that has a display of voltage, etc. along with four Fenix batteries - exactly the ones recommended in the manual that came with the TK75. I really like the TK75 & don't want to return it unless I'm sure it's defective, so I'm going to charge the batteries & try them as soon as I get them.

There is something that bothers me about the charger: On the website, it said it is an Orbtronic charger but when I got it it says "Soshine" on it. It looks just like the website photo. It was rather cheap, compared to the Fenix which is $39.95. I'd rather pay more for a decent charger.

By the way, the Fenix Store is offering 10% off on everything.

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
AND... I would suggest that you get a meter (Harbor Freight has one for about 5 bucks) so you can check each battery's voltage separately.

I've a TK75 and have never had it on turbo long enough for it to step down.

AA#5

Newly Enlightened
AND... I would suggest that you get a meter (Harbor Freight has one for about 5 bucks) so you can check each battery's voltage separately.

I've a TK75 and have never had it on turbo long enough for it to step down.

I thought the Fenix charger has a meter on the display.

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
I thought the Fenix charger has a meter on the display.

It could be, still, a meter to check voltages is a cheap investment and an easy way to check batteries ... fresh out of the charger, or out of the light, or in a drawer after storage or whatever.

I am interested to hear the outcome of your dilemma and what is going on.