Want to make this light brighter-m952 kit 01

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered 2 of these off local auction site. I Was wanting to know a way to make these brighter. I didn't know if you guys could recommend different led or something. Also wondering how good of a deal I got. 2 of them brand new for $100. Thanks.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there's a few options. To keep it simple you could use this LED drop in, Malkoff Devices MD10. If you would like to keep using an incandescent lamp then this is where is gets more complicated. First you will need two high quality 17500 Li-ion cells such as then ones sold by AW, a high quality Li-ion charger and either of these lamps. Lumens Factory HO-M3 or EO-M3.

There is one other LED drop in but it's slipping my mind at the moment.

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
Don't really care, just want to make it brighter. Led sounds better. Let me know my other led drop in options. Thanks

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
Well there's a few options. To keep it simple you could use this LED drop in, Malkoff Devices MD10. If you would like to keep using an incandescent lamp then this is where is gets more complicated. First you will need two high quality 17500 Li-ion cells such as then ones sold by AW, a high quality Li-ion charger and either of these lamps. Lumens Factory HO-M3 or EO-M3.

There is one other LED drop in but it's slipping my mind at the moment.

Ok I got another m952v I'm looking at that is 150 lumens. For $200.

What at would that mall off drop in make the Lumens on the m952xm07? And how much does that cost. I think I can get that light for around $70

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
Cool. Yeah he said he would sell me 4 of these lights (M952XM07 / FM63KIT) for $200.
I want to get one or 2 as bright as I can then I figure I can sell the other 2 and pay for led upgrade and initial purchase. What do you guys think?

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
You should have no problem selling the other two lights at a reasonable price.

Is there any other options? I fell like $90 is pretty steep for one light bulb. Just out of curiosity when i go to sell these (m952xm07) what is a good asking price?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this thread discussing the M952 or the M962? The above Malkoff link is for an LED assembly seems to be intended for the M962 light. Maybe there's a difference between the M951 and M952 that I'm not aware of.

The stock Surefire LU60 collar works reasonably well with Malkoff's M60 and M61 series of engines. I recently bought an Oveready LU60 for use with my M951, and it fits the M61 very well.

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
Is this thread discussing the M952 or the M962? The above Malkoff link is for an LED assembly seems to be intended for the M962 light. Maybe there's a difference between the M951 and M952 that I'm not aware of.

The stock Surefire LU60 collar works reasonably well with Malkoff's M60 and M61 series of engines. I recently bought an Oveready LU60 for use with my M951, and it fits the M61 very well.

i need to know where to find a led upgrade and how to do it for a m952xm07.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M952 uses the LU60 adapter collar to accept a P61 incandescent lamp assembly. You can run a Malkoff M60 or M61 series drop-in in the stock LU60 without worry. Nailbender and Vinh drop-ins do not fit into the LU60. My only other drop-in isn't overly suitable for weapon mounting, but fully awesome in other ways.

Alternatively, the Oveready LU60 P60 adapter allows a person to run practically any P60 sized drop-in in the M95x series light. I just learned (or re-learned) that the only difference between the M951 and M952 is the picatinny mount interface.....dual thumbscrews (951) or ARMS QD throw lever (952).

I have tested my Oveready LU60 with my two Nailbender assemblies and one Vinh, and reliable activation is achieved as long as the external spring is used. It works great with my Malkoff engines without external springs or wrapping material.

You got an awesome deal on these, so my recommendation is to spend some more to be able to run any high performance LED assembly.

If you go the upgraded LU60 route, you have many choices.

Last edited:

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
Ok so it's around $40 for the over ready then 20-80 for a good p60 led. Is this correct? Also, wanting to know a good asking price for a brand new m952xm07 stock. I have 4 of them and will only be upgrading one.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i need to know where to find a led upgrade and how to do it for a m952xm07.

How do you plan to use the light? At what maximum distance do you want to be able to illuminate something?

Do you want the light pattern to be floody with a huge hotspot to light up an entire large room? Do you want it to be able to throw a small spot of light a long distance? Do you want a mixture of these two attributes?

Do you want it to have a low output mode in addition to full output?

Once these questions have been answered, educated recommendations can be made.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so it's around $40 for the over ready then 20-80 for a good p60 led. Is this correct? Also, wanting to know a good asking price for a brand new m952xm07 stock. I have 4 of them and will only be upgrading one.

You are correct. The Malkoff M91 series and any M61 drop-in with HO or SHO appended to the name are intended for use with three CR123s. This makes them far from ideal for your light. Lucky for you, this also basically eliminates all options that cost over $59.

Nailbender and Vinh's offerings provide significantly more output from two CR123s than Malkoff's products. The Malkoffs make up for this in craftsmanship and built-in heat sinking.

The general consensus is that for weapon mounted use, Malkoff, Nailbender, and Vinh (as long as the electronics are potted) are the three best options.

I think I paid $200 for my M951 with XM07 tailcap/tape switch roughly a year ago and considered it a very fair price. Prices seem to have come down on these recently, so $150 may be more in line with today's market.

Last edited:

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
I just know I want it to be brighter (65 lumens) going off of reviews I have read and watched. Id like it to be bright if it were Ever used at night. I would probably want in between floody light and a straight beam. This is not for a home defense weapon so really just bright enough for outside. So I don't think it can be TOO bright.

Different out puts would be nice but not completely necessary.

So any more combos or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
I just know I want it to be brighter (65 lumens) going off of reviews I have read and watched. Id like it to be bright if it were Ever used at night. I would probably want in between floody light and a straight beam. This is not for a home defense weapon so really just bright enough for outside. So I don't think it can be TOO bright.

Different out puts would be nice but not completely necessary.

So any more combos or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any dumb questions. New to the flashlight world. I have a p60 high output lamp assembly. I just really need one that will hold up to a recoil of an ar15. Thanks for all your help

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Locating one that's brighter than 65 lumens won't be a problem. The ones I've mentioned range from 325 (Malkoff M61 cool XP-G2 version) to 700-ish (Nailbender neutral XM-L2). Compared to a P61, the Malkoff is damn bright, and the Nailbender XM-L2 is simply unreal.

Since you're looking for a flood/throw combination, you'll want to choose an Orange Peel reflector, sometimes referred as OP.

The Nailbenders have a deeper reflector than Malkoff, so they produce a smaller diameter spill light area and significantly brighter hot spot. My only Vinh is a reflectorless mule, so not comparable. The beamshots I've seen lead me to believe they will be similar to Nailbender's.

Here's a thread from last year in which I helped someone choose a drop-in http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...commendation-for-P60-drop-in-for-weapon-light. You may find the information in it useful.

I've fired countless rounds with various Malkoffs attached to 7.62X51 semi-auto rifles and a 12 gauge shotgun. I've also personally tested my two Nailbenders on the shotgun, and trust them completely.

I agree that for outdoor use, it really isn't possible to have too much output. I've decided that my primary outdoor AR should use the Nailbender XM-L2. The massive output and deep reflector (though really not that massive when compared with MT-G2 and SS-50/90s) allows it to deliver significantly more light on target at 100 yards than my brightest Malkoff M61 SHO.

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
Locating one that's brighter than 65 lumens won't be a problem. The ones I've mentioned range from 325 (Malkoff M61 cool XP-G2 version) to 700-ish (Nailbender neutral XM-L2). Compared to a P61, the Malkoff is damn bright, and the Nailbender XM-L2 is simply unreal.

Since you're looking for a flood/throw combination, you'll want to choose an Orange Peel reflector, sometimes referred as OP.

The Nailbenders have a deeper reflector than Malkoff, so they produce a smaller diameter spill light area and significantly brighter hot spot. My only Vinh is a reflectorless mule, so not comparable. The beamshots I've seen lead me to believe they will be similar to Nailbender's.

Here's a thread from last year in which I helped someone choose a drop-in http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...commendation-for-P60-drop-in-for-weapon-light. You may find the information in it useful.

I've fired countless rounds with various Malkoffs attached to 7.62X51 semi-auto rifles and a 12 gauge shotgun. I've also personally tested my two Nailbenders on the shotgun, and trust them completely.

I agree that for outdoor use, it really isn't possible to have too much output. I've decided that my primary outdoor AR should use the Nailbender XM-L2. The massive output and deep reflector (though really not that massive when compared with MT-G2 and SS-50/90s) allows it to deliver significantly more light on target at 100 yards than my brightest Malkoff M61 SHO.

ok so any output selection on the LEDs should work woth my m952

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. There aren't that many current drop-ins available that output less than 100 lumens.

As long as the electronics are sealed with epoxy (potted), the LED assembly should be basically recoil proof.

Trod7308

Newly Enlightened
Yes. There aren't that many current drop-ins available that output less than 100 lumens.

As long as the electronics are sealed with epoxy (potted), the LED assembly should be basically recoil proof.

i guess I meant output "modes". variable outputs. I really like how the steam light protac hl has 3 different modes(hi, hi/strobe/low and hi/low. Do inhave that option?