Access to the Gym

Tomas

Banned
There were some comments made about the escalators and handicapped access and the ADA, etc. in another (humorous) thread. Some of that pushed some of my buttons and I wrote a quick response.

I thought better of that - hijacking a humorous thread for another purpose - and decided to give my comments their own thread. I deleted them in the other thread and copied them to this one.

Here's the pic that started it (and yes, it IS ridiculous to have escalators like this).

america.jpg

According to the sign to the right of the escalators, handicapped access is at another entrance ...

(My wheelchair won't fit on an escalator well at all ...
wavesmile01.gif
)

My memebership in a local health clup is a part of the 'perks' provided to all senior members of the HMO that handles my healthcare (that's "senior" as in "old" not "senior" as in "higher rank").

They have some qualified PT's there that will even work with handicapped members to ensure that what is done is safe and healthy.

The gym/healthclub is fully accessible, because "handicapped" covers many things. When my mum was recovering from a broken ankle she was handicapped - but still needed proper exercise. I'm handicapped, and use a wheelchair, but can walk for short distances and use the gym to increase my ability to do that safely. I see many handicapped use the pool, the upper-body exercise machines, play wheelchair basketball, etc.

Some people ask (stupidly) "If the can use the gym, why do they need special parking places? They get all the best ones, close to the building!"

The answer is that some of those folks are there to exercise what functions they have remaining, and are limited in their ability to cover long distances. Others can cover the distances, but in wheelchairs, and need parking spots that ensure the ability to get in and out of their vehicles, even those with ramps that magically grow out of the side.

In my apartment building we have 6 apartments with tenants in wheelchairs. We have other people in wheelchairs who visit relatives and friends who happen to live here.

Some TAB (Temporarily Able Bodied) folks living here complain about the "reserved" parking spots for the handicapped - there are some at each of the three main entrances. They complain that the best spots are taken by the handicapped. They especially complain when it is cold or raining.

None of them, however, are willing to trade places and be forced to use a wheelchair to get a better parking spot.

Handicapped parking is noticable, one of the usual complaints is it takes up the best parking spots. Personally I didn't used to use the handicapped spots, even though I could, if other suitable spots were available (like an end slot so no-one could park next to me and prevent me from returning to my car).

Thing is, I found out another reason - actually mentioned in the ADA guidelines - why the slots are close to the doors: To keep those in wheelchairs or with limited mobility from having to pass behind all those parked cars in the lot.

After several times of nearly getting backed over by some mom in a stationwagon with 2.3kids and a dog, or some joker in a jacked-up 4X4 (and actually getting hit once). I decided that I needed to park in a place where a guy in a wheelchair didn't have to fight with parking lot traffic. Not because I couldn't do the distance, but because I was invisible ...

Sorry about getting carried away here. Thing is, if things like this aren't mentioned when they pop up, in the regular forums where they do, many of the TAB people are never exposed to any of the rationale behind some of the ADA requirements. Many of those requirements are designed to cover as many different handicaps as possible, and may not (usually don't) cover a particular handicap perfectly. They are writen that way so there won't be 2 million different rules depending on handicap.

Even the handicapped often only see the rules as they relate to their own particular needs, not in the wide-as-possible-use way they were written.

Take care,
T_sig6.gif

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Tomas,

Disabilities come in many forms.

FWIW, I fully understand and appreciate your viewpoint. On my end, my mother underwent openheart surgery for valve replacement etc. She has the wheelchair / disabled sign to hang on her car mirror. I had ocassion to drive her around and used the disabled spots. She was with me (I refuse to use the sign if she is not with me in the car). At one place, I parked, hung the sign, go out and before I could even walk around the vehicle to open her door, I took some incoming flack from a couple of know it alls. Saying nothing, I walke her into the store. It simply was not worth my while to deal with them.

My uncle is a DAV. Even though he lost a kidney in Korea and has had several operations related to service in Korea and several doctors have issued statements to the effect, he refuses to use the disabled spots, he says that he can walk and by god someone else can use the spot. And man oh man, you ought to see him go off when a TAB parks in one of the disabled spots and looks around to see if they've been spotted, he cuts them NO SLACK.

We all march to our own tune eh...

Lighthouse

Saaby

Flashaholic
FIrst off I take offense to being called "Temporarily Able Bodied." I feel it's a mockery to me "You may be able to walk now but you just give it a few years." If I am not to mock you for being handicapt I expect the same respect back. I hope I've simply just misread it and somebody can put me in my place.

Anyway lets look at it from a different perspective. My parents, bless their souls, can be ignorant at times. I like to give benefit of doubt to everybody (Which is ironic seeing as how I ranted above, but that's the exception here). When somebody that is seemingly able bodied parks in a spot, my parents will usually comment (That is, looks able bodied but has sticker). I usually say nothing because, as has already been mentioned, disabilities are not all immediately apparent. Take somebody with serious respiratory problems that can walk fine from a handicapped spot to a store but once there gets a cart. Guess what I'm saying is we're not all know-it-alls.

Same thing with smoking too. My parents mock smokers, I realize that most of them want to quit and they need support (if they want it) not people mocking them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing that makes me upset about handicapped spots is seeing cars without stickers in them!

I do have a question about the above picture, are the handicapped spots at the front of the building at the bottom of those stairs, or around by the door that they could actually use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering if this "gym" is attached to a strip mall or other stores that are not shown in the picture. I guess that would be the only logical reason for the escalators...funny that they should be placed in front of the gym.

Tomas

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
FIrst off I take offense to being called "Temporarily Able Bodied." I feel it's a mockery to me "You may be able to walk now but you just give it a few years." If I am not to mock you for being handicapt I expect the same respect back.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will find that term. "Temporarily Able Bodied" in common use, especially by people who yesterday were mountain climbing, motorcycle riding, skydivers and today view the world from a powered wheelchair.

It is not a term of derision, but a recognition - usually after the fact - of the frailty of the human body. It's a recognition that it doesn't always just happen to "the other guy."

It is not mocking the ablebodied, but suggesting that being classed as ablebodied can change in an eyeblink, and totally unexpectedly.

I can calmly and honestly say that it was not "aimed" at anyone, nor is it derogatory.

I also use that term as a recognition that, as Robert Burns wrote so many years ago, the best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley.

When I went to bed one night, captain of my world and caregiver to my ill mother, I didn't expect my next waking to be as a half paralyzed invalid struggling to regain some control of the English language.

Sudden. Unexpected. Drastic.

By the time things were again somewhat normal I'd lost my house, my car, my company, many abilities, and the ablebodiedness I'd for so long taken for granted. At age 53 I was starting over from zero. With no back-ups.

TAB? Yup. For any of us, disability can come with our next breath.

So welcome, frail human, to the real world.

T_sig6.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
What irritates me is when handicapped individuals use TAB facilities. I will see a person with handicapped plates drive by an open handicapped parking spot and take up a spot that *I* could use! They can use our stuff but we can't use theirs? The same with smoking and non-smoking sections... non-smokers sit in the smoking section and ***** and moan while I have to sit on a waiting list 'cuz I can't sit in the non-smoking section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif My understanding from this thread is that being handicapped is not something that you can just turn on or off when it's convenient... so why do some do it? I've seen the criteria for handicapped plates... it's amazing what qualifies nowadays. It's no wonder that TAB's get pissed. Granted, we don't know what any given person's disability is... but in some instances... one really does have to wonder... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
Actually Saaby.. YOU ARE temporarily able bodied.. One day you must die... like all of us... and your body will definitely not be abled.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I didn't say he necessarily was mocking, just that the term itself sonds derogatory. I almost didn't say something but I'm glad I did because this part has come true:

[ QUOTE ]

I hope I've simply just misread it and somebody can put me in my place.

[/ QUOTE ]

because now I can leave this thread (well, when it's done) without any disgruntlement

Negeltu

Enlightened
And I didn't say that you said he was necessarily mocking you.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good times! We can all be friends.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
The same with smoking and non-smoking sections... non-smokers sit in the smoking section and ***** and moan while I have to sit on a waiting list 'cuz I can't sit in the non-smoking section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Sasha, I thought you quit smoking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Peter

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a bit of an abstract from the original post but I find this weird. From my personal observations: Why is it that a person who will park at the end parking lot of a crowded mall rather then one of the many unused handicapped spots, will use a handicapped bathroom stall often willingly because it is furthest from the door even when others are available. Anybody else notice this?

Tomas

Banned
Glad you were re-gruntled, Saaby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

====

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen the criteria for handicapped plates... it's amazing what qualifies nowadays. It's no wonder that TAB's get pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've seen the requirements from some other state then. Don't blame the handicapped for making the rules, blame the local politicians ...

TYPE OF DISABILITY:
Please check the appropriate condition(s) that apply:

Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.

Is severely limited in ability to walk due to arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.

Cannot walk without the use of an assistive device.

Uses portable oxygen.

Ability to walk is restricted by lung disease to such an extent that forced expiratory respiratory volume, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter per second, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air at rest.

Impairment by cardiovascular disease.
Check the American Heart Association Standard that applies:
Class III PLEASE SEE INSTRUCTIONS ON REVERSE
Class IV PLEASE SEE INSTRUCTIONS ON REVERSE

Has a disability resulting from an acute sensitivity to automobile emissions, which limits or impairs the ability to walk. The applicant's physician shall certify that the disability is comparable in severity to the conditions listed above.

I hereby certify that I am a licensed physician, as defined in WAC 308-96A-306 (1) and I certify (or declare) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of Washington that the foregoing is true and correct.

Those are the legal requirements in this state. They are pretty clearly defined, and appropriate. If one has a fairly severe mobility problem one can get a placard if the doc signs the forms.

There are two classes of placard: temporary and permanent. Temporary are for a maximum of 6 months in one month increments and "permanent" are for five years, at which point a person has to be re-examined and re-apply.

All persons authorized to use a placard are issued a special ID card with the placard serial number(s) on it. Any police officer or parking enforcement person can demand the card be shown.

Unauthorized use of a placard is a $500 fine, parking in a handicapped spot without authorization is a $250 fine, neither fine may be excused by a judge, but may be reduced by a maximum of 50 percent.

The only defense is presentation by the person ticketed of a placard and ID valid at the time of the infraction to the judge. (In case they forgot it, for example.)

Maybe in other places they issue parking placards for hangnails or mental deficiencies, but not here.

T_sig6.gif

Tomas

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
This is a bit of an abstract from the original post but I find this weird. From my personal observations: Why is it that a person who will park at the end parking lot of a crowded mall rather then one of the many unused handicapped spots, will use a handicapped bathroom stall often willingly because it is furthest from the door even when others are available. Anybody else notice this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice it ALL the time, Geepondy. It's not always farthest from the door, but it's the biggest so we can get our wheelchair's in there with us.

I usually notice this when I have an urgent need (yeah, my body doesn't work right anymore) to use the facilities and find eight vacant stalls I cannot use under any circuimstances, and the one handicapped accessible stall being used by some able bodied person who's only half way through reading his newspaper ...

Yes, that has caused disaster.
fart.gif

T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Don't blame the handicapped for making the rules

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I did. But it is still up to the individual to decide whether they want it or not. And to be honest, some of these things that qualify for a handicapped placard scare the snot out of me that these people are even driving to begin with. Edit added... "Is severely limited in ability to walk due to arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition."... I'm sorry... but I don't want this person behind the wheel of a car on the same roads as I am. They put MY life at risk!

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe in other places they issue parking placards for hangnails or mental deficiencies...

[/ QUOTE ]

So you DO know the AZ laws...

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Tomas's comment about being invisible in a parking lot will hopefully make me more aware.

I guess what I notice most is there are jerks out there of all physical condition and we are more likely to notice the abusers than the majority.

I was aggravated when my Father-in-Laws 30 member Church was required to put in handicap parking, a wheelchair ramp and a handicap bathroom when they have not had a handicapped person come to the Church ever, not one time in 20 plus years. If they had come they could have helped them up the two stairs and then added better access. They have had the handicap access for about 5 years now and you guessed it, there are two open parking spots by the front door every week and they have never had a handicapped person come to Church. This is a very small teaching Church that doesn't advertise.

That really isn't the worst thing as I drift off topic...

When he cut a large limb off an Oak tree that had grown to cover their sign he was fined for cutting a tree without a permit. His defense that it's private property didn't matter. The ordinance says you can't remove a tree or trim any limbs larger than X size in the city without a permit, and that includes your yard at your home or a business.

I could get handicap parking because of my son but I won't. I know if I did Saaby's folks would make fun of me when I got out of the car if they ever came to FL.

I think the ADA is a good program that in some respects has run amuck. It's like abortion, both sides try to take ground even when they know it's not necessary or supported. They do it to avoid any potential future erosion of their position.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah, she's got a nicer van than I do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Actually Tomas... that doesn't scare me at all. Because her van is built for her with controls that are made specifically for her. I have a very good friend who drives all over the place... he's paralyzed from the waist down. His car is outfitted with hand controls and he has been trained to use it. I have no problems whatsoever with that. I have problems with people who are "severely limited in ability to walk due to arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition" because their doctor writes them a note and they get a placard and get in some big-*** tank of a car without any training at all. THAT scares me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Latest posts