Streamlight Green LED lights NV safe?

joe_flashlight

Newly Enlightened
Please see this page: http://www.streamlight.com/huntsafe1.htm

I thought that human eyes were the most sensitive to green light and the least sensitive to red light. If so, why does Streamlight list a green light as being night-vision safe (they are obviously referring to human night vision, not a NVD)?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Streamlight: False advertising/information?

I don't know for a fact that human eyes are most sensitive to green, though I have heard that on numerous occasions. Even if we assume that's true, though, it doesn't necessarily mean that green light will destroy your dark-adapted vision. I think the idea here is that if your eyes are more sensitive to green, a pure green light will be more visible than a white light, assuming equal total photons, so you could use fewer total photons and still have equal or even greater visibility.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Streamlight: False advertising/information?

My guess is for the same reason the A2 with green LEDs is suitable with night vision equipment at least their web sight states that

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Streamlight: Information?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just thought I'd take my trash out.

bwcaw

Enlightened

I have heard that the military uses green filters on some lights instead of red to preserve night adapted vision. (not sure what green light does for your nvd devices) Personal experience would suggest that green does help preserve your dark adapted vision, although it is not as good as a red light.

joe_flashlight

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies. Empath, I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was accusing Streamlight. Rather, I meant to ask whether or not it could be considered false advertising (that was not neccessarily intentional on Streamlight's part).

Subject changed; my apologies.

Tomas

Banned

It's very simple: If you or your buddies are using NV equipment (or the 'bad guys' are), you want to use green lighting because it is next to invisible to the NV detectors and won't cause your buddie's NV gear to "bloom" and won't turn you into a becon for the bad guys to triangulate on.

It has nothing at all to do with 'human dark adapted vision' but with electronic 'night vision' equipment.

As to human vision, the best focus and most sensitivity and accuracy is in the yellow-green area of the spectrum.

Look at any decent chart of how the rods and cones and such respond to various wavelengths of visible light and you will find a 'crossover point' where two of the sensors in the eye are both at about 2/3's of their maximum sensitivity - that point, that exact wavelength, is the one place where the human is most sensitive. Period. Sort of a hideous chartreuse.

At any other wavelength you are down to only one sensor type picking up well, and the overall sensitivity is reduced from that peak point.

Dark adapted vision is a whole different thing, and has been well discussed before on CPF. Red light below a certain frequency (above a certain wavelength) affects one set of sensors only and does not deplete the chemicals in the other two, allowing human vision to dark adapt.

That's the short form.

We see best in white light because all sensor arrays are in use, and that also allows us to discern color accurately.

Anyone here old enough to remember the Pickett slide rules that came in either the standard white or the 'high tech' "ES" green? The ES rules were more accurate (really!) because their background color was that precise crossover point of max vision sensitivity and didn't include the blue and red reflections that the white rules did. This allowed the eye to monofocus on that one narrow band of color without having the out-of-focus red and blue rays fuzzing up the image of those fine hairlike lines. It also allowed the human vision system a more relaxed view because it wasn't constantly "hunting" (dithering) for focus red-green-blue-red-green-blue ...

I had several Pickett ES models, including the classic 1010ES model (I was a Pickett aluminium rather than Post bamboo user).

Anyway, use green lights to be less visible to Night Vision Equipment. Use red lights to protect dark adapted vision. Use charteuse lights for highest vision accuracy.

It's been too many years to try to remember all this stuff.

T_sig6.gif