SureFire L5 vs L6

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
After having my L6 for a couple weeks and then receiving my L5 today (thanks to Dan at Tactical Warehouse for both), I was able to do some quick and dirty testing in the back yard. I've done no runtime tests on either, just strictly "lighting up stuff" testing. For me, the L5 will stay. The difference in performance and size does not warrant keeping both, in my opinion. Besides, with the KL5 I can slap and E2C on that and use it as a componant piece to my UBH or L4 body.

For those fellow CPF'ers who are not in a position to 1) afford to purchase both the L5 and the L6 or 2) only want to purchase one of these lights or 3) have been asking for a justificaton in costs differences between the L6 and the L5, my recommendation is to get the L5 and never look back.

chris1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the opinion. I have an L5 (& an L4 and just about every other SF!), and have been thinking about the L6. I don't want to knock these new lights, but the excitement level is just not nearly what is was with the A2 and L4. From what I have seen and read here, the difference in brightness from an L5 to an L6 just does not seem all that much. I almost never carry my M3 with me, the L6 is somewhat longer than that. In addition, there is a huge jump in price from the L5 to the L6. I'm sure one day I may buy one (so long as it's not retail from SF's site!!!), just so I don't have that "gap" in my model lineup! But I just don't see the hurry. There is a difference in brightness and throw between my L4 and L5. I'm sure that there is a visible difference regarding these factors with and L5 and L6, but I can't help feeling a little "let down". I would have thought the difference would be more along the lines of 6V incandescent compared to a 9V. In other words a difference and increase in performance which one could truly appreciate. For $250, it's just not there right now. Just my thoughts here.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Let me put it this way.... if I had my L5 before my L6, I'd be extremely dissappointed right now. I would have felt ripped-off and that I was taken for a ride. Interestingly enough, after using my L6 for a bit, I then fired up the L5. My initial thought was along the lines of "What the hell's going on?" I had to check and double-check to make sure I was comparing the 2-lights. There is a slight difference in throw, but not enough to justify the difference in price. I've heard there's a difference in runtime too, however I didn't test that.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Second that! I really want an KL6 for my M3 and the price is beyond my imagination and I will wait. I love my L5 but the clickie is not as smooth as the SW02. f

mporter

Newly Enlightened
Based on what you guys are saying I must have either a dim L5 or a really bright L6 cause my L6 is way brighter and whiter than the L5 and has far better throw. Or you have the opposite examples. Can you show beamshots?

And doesn't it make sense that Surfire would boost the output on the L6? There is a lot more mass in the L6 head to heatsink the LED.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mporter said:
Based on what you guys are saying I must have either a dim L5 or a really bright L6 cause my L6 is way brighter and whiter than the L5 and has far better throw. Or you have the opposite examples. Can you show beamshots?

And doesn't it make sense that Surfire would boost the output on the L6? There is a lot more mass in the L6 head to heatsink the LED.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my L5 today too, beamshots to follow.

I pretty much agree with Ray, just realize that the KL6 will run longer (almost 2x as long) from 1 extra SF123. That is it's main advantage.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Sean, ditto! AND it can be run from an M4 body to further increase the runtime AND it should have more effivient electronics. I like my L6.

Another point to consider: all depends on the SGF inventory you already have. If I had an M3, M4, M6 lying around I'd probably buy the L6 for the simple reason of being able to swap bodies.

bernhard

mporter

Newly Enlightened
Since it seems I may have an especially bright L6, I'm now thinking I want to get a second M6 plus an extra M6 battery carrier. Then, when walking at night, I could carry the following in my coat pockets:

1. M6 body with L6 head -- an M6/L6. Long runtime very bright LED with good throw.

2. M6 with 500 lumens bulb. Gives me maximum throw and beam quality for weight and size.

3. Backup M6 battery pack. This would allow a quick change for either light.

This setup would be very modular. As the M6's batteries get low, you can put them in the M6/L6 and get a lot more use out of them.

Would the L6 body and switch be easy to sell? Perhaps along with the head from the second M6?

mporter

Newly Enlightened
After playing with the M6/L6 combo some more I have come to the conclusion that, for longer continuous use, like when walking at night, I like the L6 better. The smaller diameter handle, based on the M3 body, is easier to hold.

And the L5 is even easier to hold.

Here's another Surefire combo for night walking:

1. A2 -- in LED mode, it's just enough light to see to walk but retains night vision. But, you also have instant good incandescent throw available

2. L5 -- for general walking when more light is needed.

3. M6 -- for the occasional really long throw needs.

4. M6 battery carrier -- to mitigate the 20 minute runtime of the M6.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, $90. But have you ever tried to replace batteries in an M6 outside at night in freezing weather?

But, since I am now a F-L-A-S-H-A-H-O-L-I-C, I don't need a practical reason. I only need enough headroom on my credit card.

[ QUOTE ]
V8TOYTRUCK said:
I think that extra M6 battery carrier is around $90! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Anyone have an idea of how long the KL6 would run before dropping out of regulation on the M4 body? It might make a nice (and expensive) option for my M4

Thanks!

Byron

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
DON'T PUT THE KL6 ON THE M4 BODY.

It is not intended to run at 12 volts and there may be issues. You are better off just getting the L6, it's less expensive that way.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
didn't Don say that the KL6 could be run from an M4 body since it was a buck converter, which is basically the reason why it is more efficient than the KL5?
WARNING: speculation and non-confirmed info from the mind and memory of a dummy!
bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I don't know what the upper limit is on the KL6 driver is and I understand that it should not be considered a "12V" light as this might imply hooking it up to an automotive system that can see 15 volts at times. However I did ask PK if the KL6 would be OK on 4x123 and he said yes. The KL6 is real nice on the M4 body, IMHO. It looks and feels good in use. I have no idea what the run time would be.

Lithead

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
However I did ask PK if the KL6 would be OK on 4x123 and he said yes. The KL6 is real nice on the M4 body, IMHO. It looks and feels good in use. I have no idea what the run time would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, now I have to go dig up the $$ for an M4 body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

My name is Ray and I am a flashaholic.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lithead said:
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
However I did ask PK if the KL6 would be OK on 4x123 and he said yes. The KL6 is real nice on the M4 body, IMHO. It looks and feels good in use. I have no idea what the run time would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, now I have to go dig up the $$ for an M4 body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

My name is Ray and I am a flashaholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bigger question is, where are you going to get an M4 body from?

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Sounds like it is safe to put the KL4 on a 12 volter. But can my charge card handle the discharge? That is a question only I can answer.... Them things is X-pensive!