TM26 issues, problems? Post here.

Foot Hill

Newly Enlightened
tebahudu.jpg

1st one I used for about three weeks and the switch developed an intermintant problem,
Would not turn off (with full press) from low (3L) and about one every 8-10 times would go straight from 3L to 540 (medium) after full press to turn off

Supplier was great and sent out a replacement and I was to send back damaged one one I received new one so I'd not be without a light
WELL... Second light was bad straight out of the box with only half illuminated power button :(

Not sure what to do next (besides return both lights)
I LOVED this light! Just don't want to be the guy with three tm26 issues. 😜

RCTPAVUK

Newly Enlightened
Who is the supplier? Maybe you could ask them to check the next replacement on subject of damage, malfunction, etc...?
What are the serial numbers of both lights?
When did you get them (bought, and got a replacement?)
Could you post photos of the light(s) showing the problem?
Are these new models (3800lm, white OLED?)

Foot Hill

Newly Enlightened
Who is the supplier? Maybe you could ask them to check the next replacement on subject of damage, malfunction, etc...?
What are the serial numbers of both lights?
When did you get them (bought, and got a replacement?)
Could you post photos of the light(s) showing the problem?
Are these new models (3800lm, white OLED?)

Supplier..amazon

Before placing my brand new eagletac 3100mah batts in the second light I noticed the contacts looked like batteries had been installed. Maybe China?

vu7ysumu.jpg

This photo shows the blue button during flash, notice how its missing around 9:00 position?
The pic doesn't show it as good/bad as it looks in real life. The button appears off-center to the left and sticks down quite often. I have tried to move and turn button hoping to align, with zero improvement.

The other light (my first) just does not turn of all the time from low with a full press, then sometimes while pushing down full press to turn off from low will instead jump straight to 540lumens. 8|
Real life situation.. Using light at 3lumens to read my 3year old daughter goodnight story. Then went to turn off (full press) WHAM! Straight to 540 lumens!! Daughter says "why did you do that daddy? It hurt my eyes!"
But mostly it works fine. About every 8-10 times.

a6urazyh.jpg
off center button

edera7e2.jpg
intermentant switch problem

Both are 3500 with blue oled display.

RCTPAVUK

Newly Enlightened
There's a reason why I don't shop via Amazon, but let's keep it topic oriented...

Sent the lights back. They seem to be older than what you see in the market. My serial starts with 3112....
All new lights have new emitters XM-L2, white OLED display and it shows 3\150\600\1850\3800 lumen modes.
If you're interested in the light, buy it from trusted dealers. You can view the tm26 thread to find one, and, if possible, get them to let you come and see the product.

What I think is people who got bad ones try to sell them... Don't buy one if you're suspicious of its quality.
Also post reviews and rate supplier or seller. It helps not only people who buy products, but also makes sellers\suppliers to contact the manufacturer to send the replacement (manufacturers review the quality of their product via replacement statistics.)

Good luck...

Foot Hill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advise, the light was a gift (told them what I wanted not where to get) so wasn't involved in original purchase.
I'm sending both lights back tomorrow and will be receiving a in store (amazon) credit. As I just didn't want to strike- three!
Ill Wait till the newer version is out then purchase again.
I've been waiting for the zebralight s6330 for 6 months now and really just settled for the nitecore. Although I really did like the tm26, wish it had mode between 3 and 95 lumens.

Foot Hill

Newly Enlightened
So.... While I wait.. Should I consider closer look at another light?
Zebra light has waited too long to rerelease the s6330. And the format of four LEDs seams more efficient than three. So might have to wait awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoctaDocta

Newly Enlightened
I mentioned this issue in the thread about general reliability of our lights, but I'll post it here too having just come across this area.

As have others apparently experienced, my 3800 lumen TM26 frequently fails to shut off from the 'day to day' mode upon a full depression of the switch. I've sometimes had to press the switch up to 8 times before it will obey the command. As well, several times now the light has jumped to a higher level in the process of trying to turn it off -- 600 lumens from either the 3 lumen level or the 150 position. In as much as the very same problems have been described above by Foot Hill in his 3500 lumen model, it sounds like there's a quirky, intermittent logic defect in the switching circuitry that may be more common than has been noticed thus far, or which may afflict the TM 26 on an inconsistent basis.

I too really like the thing otherwise, and I'm considering taking a chance on another one -- Amazon is accepting mine back under their usual high quality guarantee arrangements. (Whether or not I buy another TM 26 from Amazon (or at all), I will certainly continue to buy from them otherwise. I was amazed at how painless they make such a return.)

By the way however, I'll also add that while I like the light's output and many of its characteristics, I don't particularly like the switching scheme at all. Having to control the depth of pressing a switch as part of maneuvering through various levels and modes such that a particular function's operation usually requires TWO TYPES of switch pressing is convoluted and prone to mistakes that can be annoying. For example, turning on the 150 lumen level from standby requires a half press where turning it off and back into standby needs a full depression of the same switch. It's a natural impulse to reverse the 'on' procedure to obtain the 'off' result. That is, the desire is to reverse the process by using the same '1/2 press' that got you to 'on.' That's especially true if one has turned the light on just a moment ago for a very brief interval. Still, I'll buy another one if I think the switch will at least behave as it's supposed to under this unnecessarily complicated scheme.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a natural impulse to reverse the 'on' procedure to obtain the 'off' result. That is, the desire is to reverse the process by using the same '1/2 press' that got you to 'on.' That's especially true if one has turned the light on just a moment ago for a very brief interval. Still, I'll buy another one if I think the switch will at least behave as it's supposed to under this unnecessarily complicated scheme.

Sorry to hear about your issue. I have been following the TM26 threads here since they started, and have had two myself...both worked flawlessly. If it works properly, it is a fantastic light - it is still one of my absolute favorites. There have been too many quality control issues for a light of this cost, but it is still relatively uncommon to have a problem. If you have a second one with a problem, I wouldn't blame you for avoiding it, but any light can fail...I'd encourage you to give it one more chance.

Just a note about your comment - if you only want a mode for a few seconds, you don't need to do a half press, then a full press to turn it off. The TM26 has a momentary function - if you hold the button (half press) from off, you enter momentary mode. Then, when you want to turn it off, all you have to do is let go. Definitely easier and more intuitive than your method. It does take some getting used to, but overall I like the design. Nice to be able to do everything quickly with one switch, for me at least.

Good luck!

Khabbi

Newly Enlightened
I mentioned this issue in the thread about general reliability of our lights, but I'll post it here too having just come across this area.

As have others apparently experienced, my 3800 lumen TM26 frequently fails to shut off from the 'day to day' mode upon a full depression of the switch. I've sometimes had to press the switch up to 8 times before it will obey the command. As well, several times now the light has jumped to a higher level in the process of trying to turn it off -- 600 lumens from either the 3 lumen level or the 150 position. In as much as the very same problems have been described above by Foot Hill in his 3500 lumen model, it sounds like there's a quirky, intermittent logic defect in the switching circuitry that may be more common than has been noticed thus far, or which may afflict the TM 26 on an inconsistent basis.

I too really like the thing otherwise, and I'm considering taking a chance on another one -- Amazon is accepting mine back under their usual high quality guarantee arrangements. (Whether or not I buy another TM 26 from Amazon (or at all), I will certainly continue to buy from them otherwise. I was amazed at how painless they make such a return.)

By the way however, I'll also add that while I like the light's output and many of its characteristics, I don't particularly like the switching scheme at all. Having to control the depth of pressing a switch as part of maneuvering through various levels and modes such that a particular function's operation usually requires TWO TYPES of switch pressing is convoluted and prone to mistakes that can be annoying. For example, turning on the 150 lumen level from standby requires a half press where turning it off and back into standby needs a full depression of the same switch. It's a natural impulse to reverse the 'on' procedure to obtain the 'off' result. That is, the desire is to reverse the process by using the same '1/2 press' that got you to 'on.' That's especially true if one has turned the light on just a moment ago for a very brief interval. Still, I'll buy another one if I think the switch will at least behave as it's supposed to under this unnecessarily complicated scheme.

When I look at this flashlight on Amazon, it appears to be sold by several re-sellers, and not by Amazon itself? Unless I'm missing something.

I just bought one this morning and it will be here on Monday (Next day prime shipping for $3.99). I have used Amazon quite a bit in the past and I've never had an issue returning something... although I've never had to do it with a flashlight.

Foot Hill

Newly Enlightened
FYI. I purchased last one from Andrew and Amanda and after over three months I had a charging circuit problem(light would not charge)
It was out of the standard warranty but Andrew himself called me and arraigned for me to send tm26 back and he then replaced head. Still had a charging failure and he replaced the entire light.
I was very impressed with his eagerness to help. Really neat to see owner of company handle Cust. Service and they've got a cust. For life!

Since having problems with my first tm26 and now almost 6mo. Later I still do not see a better light (for my use) as Andrew gave me option to try another brand of light.

I considered
Jetbeam rrt-3

Sunwayman m60c
And
Eagletac mx25l4

Tm26 just has lower low's and higher high's

And I really like the fact that I can operate light and change modes with one hand because most of the time I've got something in the other.
Andrew also commented that he has seen very few returns with this light.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery carrier needs serious modifications in order to work with both protected and unprotected cells. After feeding it with eagletac 3400mah protected which are almost 70mm long, the -ve contact is so recesed it won't take button top unprotected panasonic 18650B anymore. I ordered 4 springs to try to deal with this issue.

The voltage measurement in my unit is way off, cells fresh off the charger at 4.18 after 15 minutes rest, show only 4.10v, when they get to 3.8v, display shows 3.6. Temp displaying also seems to be incorrect, it seems to measure temperature from the time is has been turned on, and not real temperature. right after it's turned off ater 5 minutes in turbo, it inmediately drops 20 celcius per second, which is imposible.

Lately I also been having issues with the switch, specially when trying to activate low mode. If it's not pressed hard enough, it wont turn on; but apply 0.1lb more of pressure and it jumps to turbo.

It is indeed a great light but the design needs more focus in the small details. I recieved my MM15 Nova few days ago and I already feel it is a better quality product.

DoctaDocta

Newly Enlightened
When I look at this flashlight on Amazon, it appears to be sold by several re-sellers, and not by Amazon itself? Unless I'm missing something.

I just bought one this morning and it will be here on Monday (Next day prime shipping for $3.99). I have used Amazon quite a bit in the past and I've never had an issue returning something... although I've never had to do it with a flashlight.

Hi Khabbi -- I can't say that I fully understand how some of the Amazon sellers vs Amazon itself have set up their arrangements either. There seem to be several scenarios. Mine was bought from 'Lumen Tactical,' but the order was fulfilled by Amazon. I've come across this one many times. In any event, the outcome is that it's Amazon itself which is covering the return and just like your experience seems to have been, mine is a pleasure in returning the current TM 26. They give a wide time-frame for the decision to make the return, and they're covering the return postage all without need of justification. (I have informed them of the issue, nevertheless.) Point is, .... I LOVE 'EM!

Also, I like the TM 26 well enough that I've ordered a second one already. Provided yours doesn't have any issues with its switching and such, you're in for a treat. Best of luck with it!

DoctaDocta

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your issue. I have been following the TM26 threads here since they started, and have had two myself...both worked flawlessly. If it works properly, it is a fantastic light - it is still one of my absolute favorites. There have been too many quality control issues for a light of this cost, but it is still relatively uncommon to have a problem. If you have a second one with a problem, I wouldn't blame you for avoiding it, but any light can fail...I'd encourage you to give it one more chance.

Just a note about your comment - if you only want a mode for a few seconds, you don't need to do a half press, then a full press to turn it off. The TM26 has a momentary function - if you hold the button (half press) from off, you enter momentary mode. Then, when you want to turn it off, all you have to do is let go. Definitely easier and more intuitive than your method. It does take some getting used to, but overall I like the design. Nice to be able to do everything quickly with one switch, for me at least.

Good luck!

Hi Doc007 -- I'm familiar with the momentary contact function, thanks. I wasn't pointing to trying to turn the light on for an *intentionally* short interval. Sometimes you turn it on and relatively soon thereafter, you find that you don't need it and ya' wanna' turn it off. ;-) But while I'm on the subject, I'll amplify my own perceptions of the TM 26 navigation system as I find its characteristics an annoying detraction from an otherwise phenomenal light!

My criticism of the switching scheme is of it's unnecessary convolution, in general. One good example of that is as I'd mentioned, needing to employ a different operation to turn off a level from that which was needed to turn it on. This issue is all the more concerning in my eyes, when there are numerous modes, and several of them are arrived at and departed from, by a different pathway.

Save for when you're dealing with one that misbehaves and doesn't obey the logic commands it's given however, the system does indeed work to maneuver around the various levels. But I feel there's no reason to employ differing levels of switch pressure -- especially for a single, given function -- toward that goal, even if it does work. By way of counter-example, after reading Selfbuilt's AMAZING review, I've ordered a Niwalker MM15vn -- the MM15 modified by Vinh Nguyen. That light (in all of its variations including the stock unit), uses a single switch to accomplish the same tasks too, but a more direct flow chart having to do with how many times the switch is hit and for how long at some points, successfully takes care of the navigation. It does so without need of excessive switch activations, nor applied pressure differentials. A couple of logical clicks, sometimes with a time consideration -- two variables -- does it.

The TM 26 by contrast employs three variables in its navigation scheme: multiple depressions which take place at two different pressure levels, and for some operations, the consideration to the duration of such a press or a half-press. Not only is there no need of this, but it's inherently error prone -- even when one is comfortably familiar with the scheme. Just as an example of that, walking my dog I've many times overshot an attempt to go from 150, to 600 lumens to light up the woods in response to a sudden animal sound, turning the light off instead. The transition from 150 to 600 needs a low-pressure 'half press' where the full press turns it off completely, of course. When walking an adored 20 lb Boston Terrier/Jack Russel mix and ya' hear coyote within 200 feet, it turns out to be a challenge to suppress the 'DANG! HIT THE SWITCH!' drive and gently touch it instead. ;-) I feel that 3 variables is an unnecessary complication that increases the probability of navigation errors. Unfortunately, I also suspect that the physical complexity of the switch itself, and that of the circuitry needed for this scheme, are likely related to the trouble that is cropping up with quality control in the switching functions of the light.

But Doc, (and anyone else reading this who's interested in the TM 26), all that said about about the somewhat convoluted interface of the light, its other characteristics and its performance are just too hard to live without! I'm right there with you, and I've ordered a replacement already! If the second one jumps around like the first one and/or sometimes fails to go out sometimes, I might even accept the 'squirrelyness' to be able to use it. ;-) I hope however, that I have an experience like yours this time around!

Be well!

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Doc007 -- I'm familiar with the momentary contact function, thanks. I wasn't pointing to trying to turn the light on for an *intentionally* short interval. Sometimes you turn it on and relatively soon thereafter, you find that you don't need it and ya' wanna' turn it off.

Fair enough...just wanted to make sure you knew.

By way of counter-example, after reading Selfbuilt's AMAZING review, I've ordered a Niwalker MM15vn -- the MM15 modified by Vinh Nguyen. That light (in all of its variations including the stock unit), uses a single switch to accomplish the same tasks too, but a more direct flow chart having to do with how many times the switch is hit and for how long at some points, successfully takes care of the navigation. It does so without need of excessive switch activations, nor applied pressure differentials. A couple of logical clicks, sometimes with a time consideration -- two variables -- does it.

I find it funny that you hold up the MM15 as an example of how it should be done. I, and several others, HATE the MM15 interface. It is actually the very worst of the lights I still own...there are worse ones out there, but generally I don't keep a light for long if I don't like the interface. The MM15 has that DREADFULLY annoying problem of being very slow to respond, even when you do it correctly. The press and hold to change modes is something I really dislike...it can take several seconds to get through them all. And if you are on level four, and want to go to level five, you have to go through L1-L4 in sequence to get to L5. Simply awful. Double click from off gets strobe, but double click when on gets turbo. Stuff like that drives me nuts. I greatly prefer the TM26 interface. It may be more error prone, but at least if you do it correctly you can do any switching you want quickly.

But Doc, (and anyone else reading this who's interested in the TM 26), all that said about about the somewhat convoluted interface of the light, its other characteristics and its performance are just too hard to live without! I'm right there with you, and I've ordered a replacement already! If the second one jumps around like the first one and/or sometimes fails to go out sometimes, I might even accept the 'squirrelyness' to be able to use it. ;-) I hope however, that I have an experience like yours this time around!

All I can say is good luck!

DoctaDocta

Newly Enlightened
[The press and hold to change modes is something I really dislike...it can take several seconds to get through them all. And if you are on level four, and want to go to level five, you have to go through L1-L4 in sequence to get to L5. Simply awful. Double click from off gets strobe, but double click when on gets turbo. Stuff like that drives me nuts. I greatly prefer the TM26 interface. It may be more error prone, but at least if you do it correctly you can do any switching you want quickly.]

Hey Doc --

No doubt that an eyeroll accompanies waiting for a light to cycle through its levels if you're trying to get to one that's at the 'far end of that rainbow. ' I'm expecting that it won't be an issue for me with the MM15 however, given that the light stays where you last were and I tend to hover in a useful low-medium range popping up to very high levels briefly when circumstances call for it. (Walking the aforementioned pup on my 'sparsely-populated-suburban-bordering-on-rural' road twice at night is my major daily use, and it calls for that pattern of operatio.) So a light that offers non-error prone access to turbo & back to where you were is appealing to me.

But I just noticed that your lights are listed at the bottom of your posting. Clearly, they've been so listed from the get-go, but I decided to actually open my eyes while looking at the screen this evening. ;-) I see that like me, you too have the SC600 MK II -- the warm spectrum version is my favorite compact! It offers 11 potentially useful levels to choose from, and its native un-modified capabilities are truly impressive in a tiny package. Of course, when the rare moment arises that ends in using its automated hold-to-cycle-the-levels function, we probably both give a good yawn. But with a selectable 2nd Hi position of ~150 lumens and the simple and reflexive pathway back and forth between that H2 and the full 1050 lumen H1 level, I have 95% of everything I desire and *need* for my nocturnal canine adventures. (The missing 5% is having a killer ~3000+ lumen level in one form or another, available to play with for *fun* on my dark road, which fun can be had with the TM 26, the MM15 or say, the Fenix TK75 at its conservatively rated 2900 lumens. But I digress ...) Our discussion has me wondering about your take on the SC 600? I feel that while it's certainly not perfect, especially with the brief delays that arise as the light processes the commands it receives, and the need to develop a feel for its timing, it overcomes these issues well enough through its impressive basic abilities, and through programmability in conjunction with many level choices to select from. Despite the flaws, the UI works well for me, and I love the light the way you love the smart, sweet, gorgeous girl who's chronically very late. What are your thoughts?

Oh, and thanks for the good luck wishes where the TM 26 is concerned! ;-)

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our discussion has me wondering about your take on the SC 600? I feel that while it's certainly not perfect, especially with the brief delays that arise as the light processes the commands it receives, and the need to develop a feel for its timing, it overcomes these issues well enough through its impressive basic abilities, and through programmability in conjunction with many level choices to select from. Despite the flaws, the UI works well for me, and I love the light the way you love the smart, sweet, gorgeous girl who's chronically very late. What are your thoughts?

The SC600 isn't perfect, I agree, but it is among the best as far as usability is concerned. The reason the MM15 is so annoying to me is because it has too many modes for the press and hold to be appropriate. While I never like it, it is FAR less irritating with fewer modes, as the cycle is much shorter. And the SC600 can get there without holding at all, if you want to avoid it. Shortcuts to each mode from off, and almost instant access to three more sub-modes, make it one of my favorite interfaces. The only one off hand that I like better is the SRT7, with the rear switch + control ring. The MM15 I like DESPITE the interface - the SC600 I like BECAUSE of the interface. The TM26 is somewhere in between...I admit I have entered the wrong mode a few times (mostly when getting used to it), but it does allow me to get what I want quickly. And that is more important to me than almost anything else.

DoctaDocta

Newly Enlightened
The SC600 isn't perfect, I agree, but it is among the best as far as usability is concerned. The reason the MM15 is so annoying to me is because it has too many modes for the press and hold to be appropriate. While I never like it, it is FAR less irritating with fewer modes, as the cycle is much shorter. And the SC600 can get there without holding at all, if you want to avoid it. Shortcuts to each mode from off, and almost instant access to three more sub-modes, make it one of my favorite interfaces. The only one off hand that I like better is the SRT7, with the rear switch + control ring. The MM15 I like DESPITE the interface - the SC600 I like BECAUSE of the interface. The TM26 is somewhere in between...I admit I have entered the wrong mode a few times (mostly when getting used to it), but it does allow me to get what I want quickly. And that is more important to me than almost anything else.

You know, I was suspicious that you'd like to SC600's UI for its quick access features, as well as appreciating the all around utility of the light! I have to acknowledge that part of its appeal for me too, is that direct access, although if I have medium in mind, I sometimes choose to get there via the press and hold cycling through low because the brief flash of high that takes place with the two-click-from-off access pathway annoys me under some circumstances. But low and high are truly available directly, and the quick route to medium is nice really to have. It's a brilliant interface.

I love the SRT7's UI Doc -- it's my favorite UI in this or frankly, an other size class. Anywhere you are, you simply twist in the direction you want to go, and you do so with the ability to 'fine tune' the brightness to either need or taste in moment to moment terms. And the ability to choose between standby with the ring as the only control necessary, and immediate access to the last level used if you turn it off from the tail cap switch adds more choices while retaining simplicity of operation. Of course, by virtue of the incredible compactness of the SC600, the otherwise small SRT7 seems a hefty fella by comparison, but by comparison only. It's also a pleasant fit to my hand when carrying it, and I'm often in the mood for its superior throw out on the dusty trail in search of my dog's sense of relief. ;-)

Have you ever noticed that the SRT7 isn't in fact, continuously variable? It has many discrete levels located near each other that you can detect when you move through the range slowly. I'm sure someone else has written about this or mentioned it in passing -- I'm guessing that all magnetic ring interface lights would have that profile as I imagine that what's going on in flow chart terms is: physical ring --> magnetic 'commands' --> logic circuitry --> discrete, small level changes. I made two quick attempts at counting the levels when I first got the light a couple of months ago, and I came up with something in the range of 35 to 37 discrete and repeatable changes. Of course, for all intents and purposes this is as close as could be needed to truly continuously variable, but I found it fun and really cool to see it in action.

Hope you're up for a good 4th!