Keeping track of Output/runtime

ryukin2000

Enlightened
hi guys, i recently bought a NC HC50. my second multi mode headlamp. the first being the H51F. as with my other lights i always find myself looking up the modes/output/run time on the internet or manual because i don't remember them and it happens a lot. I decided to print off a label and stick it on the HC50 as it is big and has the room. downside being its not waterproof and eventually will wear off and leave something sticky behind. not planning to do this for the other lights. I have seen a few lights here with labels on the head but only stating the voltage parameters. what do you guys do to remember the output and run times?

Etsu

Enlightened
I usually just turn it on. Low modes = long run time. High modes = shorter run time. Works for me.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at it on a lumen-hrs basis (lumens x hours). For example, both the Fenix LD-12 and Zebralight SC52 spec ~300 lumen-hrs across the board, so 100 lms for 3 hrs or 3 lms for 100 hrs, etc. In reality, the efficiency drops at the extremes of Max and Moonlight. I personally find FX/ZL ANSI interpretations (both lumen scale and runtime) on the too-liberal side and, use a more conservative 150-200 lumen-hrs (for 1xAA) used by some other manufacturers.

Etsu

Enlightened
I look at it on a lumen-hrs basis (lumens x hours). For example, both the Fenix LD-12 and Zebralight SC52 spec ~300 lumen-hrs across the board, so 100 lms for 3 hrs or 3 lms for 100 hrs, etc. In reality, the efficiency drops at the extremes of Max and Moonlight. I personally find FX/ZL ANSI interpretations (both lumen scale and runtime) on the too-liberal side and, use a more conservative 150-200 lumen-hrs (for 1xAA) used by some other manufacturers.

Yes, lights seem to become very inefficient at high outputs. When I measure the current on my Quark QP2A-X, it's sucking about 0.5A from 2xAA Eneloops on "high", which is putting out about 115 lumens (what I measure, approx.)

When I switch to max output, which is approx. 350 lumens (what I measure), the current jumps to 3A. So it's producing about 3x the light, but using 6x the power.

This may be because AA's and low-current heads are less efficient at high output, not just the XML emitter. But you can check out the efficiency of the Cree emitters at various power levels at their website: http://pct.cree.com/dt/index.html

ryukin2000

Enlightened
Sorry I think I miscomunicated my question. For eg. You grab a light that you havnt used in months. You forgot what it can out put and for how long. Leading me to always look it up. Short of makinge a chart and pinning it up on my fridge, probaby not a big deal but i was just wondering what others did or if didnt care about it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a paper address label on the side of my TK35 with lumens and run-time for each of the four out put levels.
I put run-times on another label under the selector ring for my TN30

Neither light gets much use, so I didn't do anything to protect the label. If they get worn, I'll just make another.

On my old snow-blower, and mini-bike, I put pertinent information on a printed paper, and I then adhered it to the cover with clear packing tape. For all intents and purposes, the tape made it water proof.

Sometimes I create a tag, and throw it into a zip lock baggie and whatever components I wanted to tag.

I haven't tagged any of my other lights, and have been thinking that I should at least check runtimes of my various dropins.
For the most part, I don't use my lights long enough to have to worry about runtimes and depleting batteries, if I carry a spare.

Etsu

Enlightened
Sorry I think I miscomunicated my question. For eg. You grab a light that you havnt used in months. You forgot what it can out put and for how long. Leading me to always look it up. Short of makinge a chart and pinning it up on my fridge, probaby not a big deal but i was just wondering what others did or if didnt care about it.

If it's a modern flashlight from a decent manufacturer, and has a Cree XPG or XML LED in it, then they all have roughly the same efficiency. You should know approximately how long you'll get out of it just by looking at the brightness (and knowing the battery capacity). You don't need a spec sheet for it to take a good guess.

Most small lights will give you about an hour on max, many hours on medium, and several days to weeks on low.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
If it's a modern flashlight from a decent manufacturer, and has a Cree XPG or XML LED in it, then they all have roughly the same efficiency. You should know approximately how long you'll get out of it just by looking at the brightness (and knowing the battery capacity). You don't need a spec sheet for it to take a good guess.

Most small lights will give you about an hour on max, many hours on medium, and several days to weeks on low.

I think I jus like the novelty of knowing the specs. And to bladerunner, I only edc a fenix ldo1. I should carry a backup.

markr6

Flashaholic
That's a good question. I usually just try and remember the runtime for the highest setting, and maybe the next highest. This past weekend I was backpacking with my H600wII. I never used the highest setting. Even using the 330lm often, I knew I would get nearly 4 hours. The medium modes hardly put a dent in the battery. I was pleased to still see 4 flashes on the voltage indicator at the end of my trip. Amazing light!!

It may not fit, but what about taping a cheat sheet onto the battery? If you always use it in that same light you'll always have something to reference without getting a sticky mess on the light.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
That's a good question. I usually just try and remember the runtime for the highest setting, and maybe the next highest. This past weekend I was backpacking with my H600wII. I never used the highest setting. Even using the 330lm often, I knew I would get nearly 4 hours. The medium modes hardly put a dent in the battery. I was pleased to still see 4 flashes on the voltage indicator at the end of my trip. Amazing light!!

It may not fit, but what about taping a cheat sheet onto the battery? If you always use it in that same light you'll always have something to reference without getting a sticky mess on the light.

That's a good idea!. i think i will do that. or just leave it rolled up inside the battery tube. at least then its away from the elements. Thanks.