First post! Questions about counterfit flashlights and Surefire U2 Ultra ???

tbarton84

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have always been interested in having flashlights for recreational and emergency use and have always owned the cheaper lights such as Maglite "which is a good brand "imo" and cheap chinese made lights from big box stores "Cyclops, Techlite, Rayovac etc. I started to get into the "higher end" flashlight market a little less than a year ago with my Surefire P2X Fury Defender, it is a great light and everyone is always in awe whenever I have to illuminate something.
I wanted a flashlight that lasted longer than my 500 lumen p2x and that wasn't so bright and could last for days out on a camping trip or in an emergency. The 175 hr run time caught my attention so I went with the u2 ultra even though it is discontinued now? My main question is I just purchased one of these off ebay in original box never opened, it should be here today or tomorrow. I hope it isn't fake. Though I hear because ebay does not allow the selling of counterfit items i'm assuming if it does turn out to be fake paypal and ebay will be on my side. Anyone here ever buy a counterfit surefire such as this off ebay?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are counterfeit Surefires on ebay, but most of what I've seen are weapon lights, and weapon light related parts. How many ratings does the seller have, and what is their feedback rating/percentage? Take detailed pics of the lettering, serial number, emitter, and tailcap when you receive it and post them here and we'll confirm if it's real or not.

:welcome:

tbarton84

Newly Enlightened
There are counterfeit Surefires on ebay, but most of what I've seen are weapon lights, and weapon light related parts. How many ratings does the seller have, and what is their feedback rating/percentage? Take detailed pics of the lettering, serial number, emitter, and tailcap when you receive it and post them here and we'll confirm if it's real or not.

:welcome:

The feedback from the seller looks good. I will take some pics and post them here if I feel it is not real. I thought I read somewhere that the fake ones did not have the same dial functions that the real U2 Ultra has. Such as the six levels of brightness.

tbarton84

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pictures I took. I blanked out part of the serial #. It appears to be real. Feels very similar to my P2X Fury. The led looks very different from my p2x but I know they are totally different flashlights.
What do you all think?

P1030194_zps7dbc576e.jpg
P1030195_zps109f764a.jpg
P1030202_zps2a9661db.jpg
P1030211_zpsf62ec4dc.jpg
untitled_zps0bdce880.jpg

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I had the original U2 a few years ago and carried it for some time. Its a nice light but the clip gave me problems first the plastic thing at the tip was loose then the clip caught on something and snapped, surefire sent me a new one at no charge and it bothered me that it might happen again so I sold it, but other than that its a nice light I just wish they would start using solid clips that screw on with a couple screws.

tbarton84

Newly Enlightened
I had the original U2 a few years ago and carried it for some time. Its a nice light but the clip gave me problems

That is unfortunate. That sucks its not stronger for people who carry it that way. I usually always carry my lights in cargo pants and jacket pockets with velcro or buttons, keeping the pocket closed, so the clip for me isn't a big deal. Maybe I will try a holster at some point.
I am really enjoying the light so far. One of the reasons I bought it was because of the low light feature and long run time. I like the cr123 battery a lot but I also want a flashlight with a more common style battery type. I wanted a flashlight I could use as a backup to my sf p2x defender. I have now realized the U2 is a little big for a back up so I have now been looking at the Peak Logan 17500 or Fenix LD12 to maybe be the backup to my defender. Joining this forum has certainly opened my eyes to all the nice flashlights out there.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out FourSevens, Klarus, and Nitecore. They all make small, AA powered lights you might check out.

The clip on the U2 is pretty commonly known to be the most durable Surefire has ever made, so don't worry that it will catastrophically fail on you.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't want to start a new thread so i thought I'd bump a relevant one.

Just picked up an E2D LED Defender body and Tailcap. Quality seems top notch, however, although it's got the usual patent numbers under the model of the light, there's no serial number under the Surefire logo. Fake or what?

51b8f7ef209e1d352b8a267527a81fb6.jpg

2b4393f3c01300a536cf467be3a59bad.jpg

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could it be that the serial number was on the head, and not the body? I'd heard they are moving toward that with newer models.