Elzetta ringy beam

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I just got an Elzetta ZFL-M60 and the beam is very ringy. Is this normal?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked my 3-cell Elzetta with a Malkoff M61LLL-219 in it. I have one ring outside the hotspot - I only notice it when I'm wall-hunting.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's the stock M60 with optic, then I don't think it should be ringy. My one standard M60 has a center spot that's surrounded by bright spill that transitions relatively smoothly to dimmer spill. At close distance to a wall, there are some artifacts, but I wouldn't call them rings.

At what distance to a wall are the rings apparent?

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
At 9 feet and closer, there are 2 outer rings visible, artifacts as well near the hotspot. I was hoping that the beam would be very smooth. Quite disappointing given the cost.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is how my m60 beam look. Hotspot is not perfect oval, but it works for me. You can see a small ring around the hotspot. There are some more rings that show up while white wall hunting.
voo57a.jpg

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems normal to me. All the M60 module I have seen, and that includes mine, are ringy. I swapped out the Malkoff M60 module and changed it to a Malkoff M61w in neutral tint and it is so much nicer. Do note that if you are going to change out the drop-in module, it will have to be a Malkoff and you need to get the lens kit too since the ZFL-M60 came without a lens on the bezel.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is somewhat disappointing. I presumed mine was the standard, not one of the exceptions.

I also prefer the M61 neutral and 219 Malkoffs. My M60 also came in an Elzetta.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is somewhat disappointing. I presumed mine was the standard, not one of the exceptions.

I also prefer the M61 neutral and 219 Malkoffs. My M60 also came in an Elzetta.
I guess you got lucky with your M60. I remember one of the reasons Malkoff "killed" the M60 and went with the M61 was partly because of the many complains about the ringy beam patterns. I know I am taking a gamble for a nice ring free beam when I ordered my Elzetta but kind of regretted it on hindsight. I could have saved the money by ordering only the Elzetta host and drop in my M61w.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The advantage of the "ringy beam" with an M60 Malkoff is the great throw that the M60 produces. One can run an M61 and see a mostly ring free beam, but not achieve the lux, range, that the M60 can offer. I am not a wall hunter.

Bill

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
The good news is the rings are not thick and dark, which would create blind spots at midrange, but based on Malkoff discussions I was under the impression the beam would be smooth. I guess I should have done a little more research on this one. I have other lights for throw. I really was looking for a rugged, mid lumen light with good battery life, and a great beam and tint. I guess 4 out of 5 is not too bad since the bream is only disappointing not horrible.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the day when these XRE emitters were the latest things out, they were known as ringy emitters. They had great throw for their output, but the "Cree rings" were a fairly well known attribute.
It doesn't bother me at all, because I like what it does well, and don't really notice the rings in real use.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I like the throw of the M60, I just upgraded to M61s for the greater runtimes. I bought an Elzetta for the "no-frills, almost nothing to break unless you're really trying" flashlight host.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That M60 beam is not really too bad. The M60 was made to be a good thrower in P60 lights which it does really well. Another thing is the spill diminishes out to nothing with no hard edge. A lot of people like this in tactical situations. If your after the perfect beam, the M60 is not for you. Better options out there for that. My M60 resides in a well used 6P attached (thx to Elzetta) to the side of a Mossberg 590A1 shotgun.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned about 7 M60 variants and I liked them all except the two that came from Elzetta. They all have some faint rings or artifacts, but the two M60's from Elzetta had very pronounced yellow/rainbow looking rings. I exchanged the first and the second one was worse so I took some sand paper to the optic and diffused the beam. It looks much nicer now.