• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired looking for someone to build me a 300 lm red head lamp

bigstick1973

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for someone to build me a wearable 300+ lm red headlamp. Power supply can be external and

5 hour run time.
. Would like adjustable beam.

Epsilon

Enlightened
300lumen is a very serious amount of light in Red.

You will need around 6A on a Luminus PT54 Phlatlight. (@2.5v) or something similar.

For a 5Hour run time, you will need:
6A*2.5V*5H = 75Wh

A 3400 18650 lithium cell is ~ 12.5Wh so you will need 6 of them in a pack.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Lumens are measured with a bias around 550 nm or so (More green/yellow range of the spectrum). If you use lumens to describe a different, narrow part of the spectrum (red for example), its not really going to provide equivalent illumination as the same lumens of full spectrum, as the red would have been a small PART of the over all spectrum measured.

So, a 300 L of "normal" light would provide a certain level of illumination....and, depending on the beam angle it was projected with, a certain amount of lux on what you wanted to see.

If the same 300 L light simply filtered out the "not red" light, so ONLY the red part of the spectrum from that original 300 L is sent OTF....the red being sent out would be quite dim in of itself.

If you were to then use your meter to measure that red emission, it would be a VERY low lux level, as it would represent only the red part of the original total 300 L.

If you want to end up with a NEW TOTAL of 300 lumens, with just RED, now you are trying to make red in a scale that mostly counts that green/yellow band, and would require proportionally MASSIVE power to make enough RED to compensate for all the MISSING parts of the spectrum.

Did you specify 300 Lumens of red, with the assumption that it would "look as bright" to you as 300 L of normal light, but just look red?

OR

Did you actually MEAN 300 L with only red light?

bigstick1973

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Right now I have a nebo protec red light and its listed at 150lm now I don't know if it is or isnt it also has a 4x zoom and at 4x it throws a nice red beam that I can see pretty well out to 100 yards. Iv been looking that the pt54 led and is love to use that in this light. Since my power source will be external would it be possible to use something like a rechargeable cordless drill battery? What do you think as far as lumens I'd be able to get. I was thinking of using a miners light as the host I know the led needs a good heat sink. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Icehole

Enlightened
Iv been looking that the pt54 led and is love to use that in this light.

Vinh has a few of the Red PT-54 PhlatLights laying around, and could probably do everything you are looking for.
he made me one driven to 5A in a Z6 18650 aspheric host that is focus able from flood to a square die... Incredibly bright red!
i don't know, but I am guessing if it was a white beam, it would be over 1700, hard to focus your eyes on!

bigstick1973

Newly Enlightened
Iv been looking at the PT54 the problem is i have no was of milling a heat sink for it. At 5A was how large was the heat sink. im thinking now maybe i could just mount the light on a hat clip. the aspheric host could be smaller. i need this to throw a red beam out to 300-500 yards. so im not sure where i need to be to get that done. ive seen the 2d mag mod that used the PT54 and that would almost be 2 much for what im useing the light for. Maybe if that came with high med and low beam. but i wouldnt know how to mount a 2d mag on my head..lol

Icehole

Enlightened
Not much of a heat sink, it was made for a 10 second burst only...
got REAL hot quick when I ran 8.4v thru it :devil:.
get in contact with Vinh, I really have no idea what I am taking about!
he can make you something at a lessor amp, that runs longer and cooler...
it does sound like you want an aspheric lens to me, though.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need that much drive current. According to the datasheet, a red SST-90 BH bin will put out 350-475lm at 3.15A. Perhaps you could get close to 300lm by swapping emitters with an existing headlamp. Not sure which headlamp though.