A Tale of Two A2s

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

I had a really magical experience last night. I hiked up to the ridge line and back down on the High Peaks Trail in Pinnacles National Park last night. I started from Bear Gulch and hiked up the first two miles of the trail. I started at 4:45pm with the intent of watching the sunset but was too late for that. But what I was treated to was a spectacular moon rise. The moon was just about full last night. I did this back in 2008 with a incan version of an A2. Last night I used an A2Z. While both are great lights my current favorite trail light at night is now the A2Z. The 30 or so floody lumens on low was great to navigate by and the all throw high beam was perfect because all the critters rattling around in the bush was kind of unnerving at times. The low on the incan version was too low for my tastes and very ringy. While I prefer incan light over LED light the tight A2Z beam provided more punch IMHO. I got to the ridge line around 5:45pm just as the last embers of daylight were fading.

I got to hike down in the dark. I wish you could have seen what I saw last night. The Pinnacles under a near full moon were beautiful, they were stark and looming. The night was clear and the moon caste a bright beautiful glow on everything and created the coolest shadows. Above me I watched jets cruise the stratosphere and their contrails were fluorescent in the moonlight making them look like fast moving comets.

As I got near my start off point I got to play with my Hound Dog but that is for another thread!

Thanks for sharing!

kelmo

Last edited:

kpangy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sharing kelmo, great read. Shame I don't have something similar within a reasonable distance to me in London, will have to drive out a fairly long way to get a similar experiance.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
kelmo,
I went day hiking once in the Pinnacles decades ago when I lived in the Bay Area. Great geography. I was in much better shape then, but my quadriceps were aching the next day. That was years before I was into flashlights. I learned some lessons about gear on a "day hike" here in Oregon awhile back that went wrong, but could have gone much worse. Sorry if I went too off-topic. Glad to hear about outdoors real-life gear experiences, especially if it's about flashlights.

nbp

Flashaholic
Good stuff man. :) I really need to take the time to do some night hiking. I like hiking and flashlights... Why have I not done this? :thinking:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
that was a good read, most definitely. thanks for posting that!

quick question: is it the AZ2 you're referring to? I'm trying to find the A2Z (A-number-letter) on amazon, but I don't see any real results.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...is it the AZ2 you're referring to? I'm trying to find the A2Z (A-number-letter) on amazon, but I don't see any real results.

You are correct! AZ2. I really prefer the beam profile on high as compared to the A2L which in its own right is a fantastic light.