TerraLUX Upgrades

pweber

Newly Enlightened
I just installed a TerraLUX TLE-6EXB in my 3D Maglite, and I'm pleasantly surprised with how nicely it upgrades the old doorstop. I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade my 6D as well, but the 6EX version gets some "iffy" reviews on Amazon. Anyone know what would happen if I installed the 6EXB (intended for use with 2-3 cell units) in my 6D? Will I fry the emitter? If there are any other upgrades out there for less than $30 that would work with my 6D, I'd be interested in hearing about them. Thanks.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just installed a TerraLUX TLE-6EXB in my 3D Maglite, and I'm pleasantly surprised with how nicely it upgrades the old doorstop. I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade my 6D as well, but the 6EX version gets some "iffy" reviews on Amazon. Anyone know what would happen if I installed the 6EXB (intended for use with 2-3 cell units) in my 6D? Will I fry the emitter? If there are any other upgrades out there for less than $30 that would work with my 6D, I'd be interested in hearing about them. Thanks.

For a few dollars more, you could get a Malkoff XP-G2. Then again, I'm biased. Using the 6EXB in a 6D, the voltage will be too high. I believe it boosts, where as the 4-6 cell bucks. I think I did that and it just failed to work but the unit was ok. Or perhaps it was the other way around, I can't remember.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
The TerraLUX TLE6EX (no "B") is intended for 4, 5 & 6 cell Maglites. Available on eBay for less than $20.

pweber

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the Malkoff info. I picked up a 1 watt Nite Ize LED at Lowes (along with two clearance-priced AA Maglites!). I'll see how it goes.

Latest posts