ZL SC53 speculation

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
I noticed that the ZL website has the SC52 cool whites on sale for 49.90. Also, it looks like they just added the SC62d within the past couple of days.

Could an updated SC52 (probably an SC53) be coming soon? The new UI would be a welcome addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Etsu

Enlightened
On sale, but back-ordered, so who knows what that means with ZL. But yeah, I think they already announced they're going to update it to use an XML2, so they're getting rid of existing stock. I think the new version is supposed to be released next month, which probably means the summer until it's easily available. :shakehead

If I didn't already have one, I'd pick one up at that sale price. Good deal, considering an XML2 is only 11% brighter at high brightness levels. I see nothing in the new UI that interests me.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
So - the question now for a potential SC52 buyer is the comparison with the SC62d, right?

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
Yes the batteries are different, and so are the runtimes, but the diameters are nearly equal, as are the output levels.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the batteries are different, and so are the runtimes, but the diameters are nearly equal, as are the output levels.

An 18650 is about the same diameter as the body of the SC52. So they can't really be the same diameter. And an 18650 light is going to be a fair bit longer. But yes, an 18650 is going to give a longer runtime vs a AA or 14500. Anyway, an 18650 light is neither a replacement or competition for a AA/14500 light. Both appeal to people with rather different tastes and needs. So the SC62d hardly makes an updated SC52 pointless.

Speaking of the SC62d, I wonder if the next SC52 iteration is doing away with Cree emitters.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't expect Zebralight will do this, but I'd like to see the SC53 have actual knurling.

If it's going to be a flashlight and not a headlight, then it should be optimized to be a flashlight. Knurling improves grip and makes for a superior light.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see an Sc53 coming out before 2015.

they have three or four lights to release (hopefully this year)
as well as emitter options

and how many lights on the back burner (like the Q50)
before they release another UI upgrade or change.

i hope the sc32 and sc82 get released this year ;)

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
An 18650 is about the same diameter as the body of the SC52. So they can't really be the same diameter. And an 18650 light is going to be a fair bit longer. But yes, an 18650 is going to give a longer runtime vs a AA or 14500. Anyway, an 18650 light is neither a replacement or competition for a AA/14500 light. Both appeal to people with rather different tastes and needs. So the SC62d hardly makes an updated SC52 pointless.

Speaking of the SC62d, I wonder if the next SC52 iteration is doing away with Cree emitters.

The SC52 has a diameter of 23.6mm, per ZL website. The SC62d has a diameter of 24.4mm, a difference of less than a millimeter. Let's call that "nearly identical". The SC62 is longer by a fair amount (18.3mm) - but for me the key limiting factor is the diameter, not the length -- this is the reason I don't buy an SC600, since 30mm is too chunky for pocket EDC.

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't see an Sc53 coming out before 2015.

they have three or four lights to release (hopefully this year)
as well as emitter options

and how many lights on the back burner (like the Q50)
before they release another UI upgrade or change.

i hope the sc32 and sc82 get released this year ;)

I agree. They already announced an update to the SC52(w) - basically just a UI update like the H600 II/SC600 II (3 clicks to strobe). SC52w already has the XM-L2. I'm still waiting for the meanie greenies to leave then I'll buy two!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
On sale, but back-ordered, so who knows what that means with ZL. But yeah, I think they already announced they're going to update it to use an XML2, so they're getting rid of existing stock. I think the new version is supposed to be released next month, which probably means the summer until it's easily available. :shakehead

If I didn't already have one, I'd pick one up at that sale price. Good deal, considering an XML2 is only 11% brighter at high brightness levels. I see nothing in the new UI that interests me.
I use Medium levels mostly so the new UI is really nice for me.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
What is a meanie greenie? The tint?

And what does the new UI have to do with medium? Don't both have double-click to medium?

markr6

Flashaholic
What is a meanie greenie? The tint?

And what does the new UI have to do with medium? Don't both have double-click to medium?

Yeah I've seen nothing but nasty green tints to far, but still hopeful this will completely go away...someday.

The new UI will have 3 clicks to strobe. I'm not aware of anything else.

Etsu

Enlightened

Yup, my SC52 jumps to medium with a double-click. Triple-click for low (which is kind of a waste). Quad-click for battery check. Single-click for high.

I wish the single-click was low, and the click-hold went to high, instead of the other way around. I've accidentally turned it on high in the middle of the night because I didn't hold the button down for a full half-second. Very annoying! If the new UI could fix that, it might be worth it. Flashies aren't worth it to me.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah same medium as usual. I think ZL always had that from the beginning. I never really use the double click to medium since it goes thru high anyway. But I guess that's better than holding it down, which I never liked on UIs.

LEDburn

Enlightened
The SC52 has a diameter of 23.6mm, per ZL website. The SC62d has a diameter of 24.4mm, a difference of less than a millimeter. Let's call that "nearly identical". The SC62 is longer by a fair amount (18.3mm) - but for me the key limiting factor is the diameter, not the length -- this is the reason I don't buy an SC600, since 30mm is too chunky for pocket EDC.

There is no mention of head diameter for the SC62d - the 23.6mm you quote for the SC52 is the head diameter, the body is a fair bit less so the SC62d will most likely look like a H600 with forward facing head.
Holding a H600 like a SC52 reveals the SC52 feels MUCH smaller than the difference in numbers suggest..

Compared to a SC52 I feel the SC62 is still going to feel larger but definitely not like SC52 vs SC600..