Easy Recharge Malkoff/Streamlight/fivemega Combo...

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Dad and I took a standard Streamlight Stinger charger and ripped out the guts.
Then we installed a cottonpickers 4.20v lithium ion charging circuit inside it,
and terminated the end in a standard USB male plug.

I purchased a Streamlight Stinger dropin which uses an XP-G2.

You can google

MDSTG Streamlight Stinger Dropin [MDSTG]

for details.

This quote tells us that "The absolute maximum input voltage is 4.8v."

The 4.20v max and 3.6v resting voltage of the average lithium cobalt cell should not be an issue.

Next I installed the Stinger dropin into a fivemega host as shown here:

Link

The dropin installed without issue.

However, the XP-G2 in that reflector produces a beam I absolutely do not care for.

I have a rather rare XM-L2 that took months to acquire, and would like it installed in lieu of the
stock XP-G2.

1) Will this swap be electrically compatible?

2) I believe the reflector hole will need to be slightly widened. Is this feasible?

My belief is that this build should be possible, yielding a wonderfully simple, bright,
single mode light, with easy recharge function.

The spec page notes that

"The output is 350+ measured Out the Front lumens for 1+ hrs and 45 minutes of declining output on the OEM (1500mah) rechargable NICAD battery pack. Higher capacity, after market, 3.6v NIMH battery packs can be used for longer runtimes. The absolute maximum input voltage is 4.8v."

My hope is that with the new 3600mAh 18650 cell, we should see two hours of 350 lumen output, easily.

A copper, aluminum, or stainless steel spacer would complete the build to fill the very small gap
between the negative plate of the cell and the return spring.

What do you guys think, both of the build, and of the feasibility of the emitter swap?

The host for the XM-L2 (after pulling off the XP-G2) looks like this:

Link

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like cramming an XM-L2 into the space meant for an XP-G2 might be tricky.

Do you guys think sputtering the reflector would work to broaden the pinpoint beam
to a thicker, wider spot?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only address the sputtering. I've sputtered several reflectors. Start off with very little clear spray. It does not take much sputtering to smooth out a beam. Too much spray can reduce the reflected light.... Good luck with your project!