NEW: Streamlight Protac HL3

zombieguy85

Newly Enlightened
I work at batteries plus in Waco and I just told my boss we have to order some to sell. I can't wait to get my tester from my rep.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I really like the protac line up. My only complaint is the PWM, but I might have to get one anyway.

mmercil

Newly Enlightened
I received my hl3 last week. Some vendors are shipping them already. Haven't experimented with it much yet so not much to share. I did learn it won't run on rechargables.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder when local venders are getting them here? I may wait till there sold locally, since I haven't had time or the energy to research the light. I'd like to handle it before I buy, I've had a few off centre emitters with Streamlight

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you select among the different programs, where you can have just hi, or hi-lo, etc.? There's a switch? HOw/where is that? don't see it in the pics.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you select among the different programs, where you can have just hi, or hi-lo, etc.? There's a switch? HOw/where is that? don't see it in the pics.

There are three programs - 1) High/Strobe/Low, 2) High only, and 3) Low/High

To advance to the next program - starting from OFF - quickly press and release the tailcap switch 9 times, then hold the switch on the final (10th) press until the light shuts off. Repeat as necessary to keep advancing through the programs . . .

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah "ten tap", great, that sounds way better than a separate dedicated switch like I was imagining how it was described.

Thank you.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone, pwm does not generally apply when on hi, correct?

PWM on high means a 100% duty cycle which means no actual PWMing is happening. So you are correct, there is no PWM on high. Unless your high is actually a lower PWM mode. But then its not really high, is it ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my HL 3 today and so far I have been a little bit surprised and impressed. I haven't yet put it through all of its paces but I would say that it's pretty much as advertised. The biggest surprise so far has been the size of the light. Unlike SureFire with the P2X/P3X Fury, Streamlight used a larger head on the HL 3 compared to what is found on the 2 cell ProTac HL.

FlashlightGuide_2052.jpg

The bezel measures about 1.7" at its widest point and I would estimate the reflector to be about 32mm in diameter. When compared to some other 3 cell lights, it's closer in size to the Malkoff Hound Dog (with MD3) than the P3X Fury.

FlashlightGuide_2051.jpg

FlashlightGuide_2046.jpg

It uses a smooth reflector that produces a really tight, well defined hot spot with a narrower spill beam than a light like the Fury with its smaller and shorter reflector. Beamshots and such will have to wait for the weather to improve (hopefully this weekend).

The advertised ANSI runtime of 1.5 hours is spot on.

Streamlight-ProTac-HL3-Runtime.jpg

Output declines over the first 7.5 minutes of runtime down to what I would estimate as 600-630 lumens. It stays in regulation for almost 45 more minutes before output begins to taper as the batteries are depleted.

For the price, it's looking like this will be a very competitive light.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my hl3 last week. Some vendors are shipping them already. Haven't experimented with it much yet so not much to share. I did learn it won't run on rechargables.

You can't use any type of rechargeables in it?

mmercil

Newly Enlightened
You can't use any type of rechargeables in it?

I tried using 3-RCR123A's. I got a brief flicker and then it shut off. It runs fine on regular primary cells. The book does say rechargables aren't recommended.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this could use rechargeables it would be amazing, but only being able to use primaries is a deal breaker for this light IMO. It would cost a fortune to use this light in the high mode frequently.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it takes 3x123, it is almost sure to run perfectly on 2x17500s. Voltage would be totally within safety of the circuit as it's slightly less than 3 primaries, but still way over the vf of the led.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProTac HL 3 review is up :thumbsup:

Its larger reflector gives it a noticeably tighter beam than most other XM-L2 lights that don't have full-blown turbo-heads on them. It's able to easily reach out over 100 yards. Like most other similar lights it has a fairly bright spill beam with an abrupt cut-off at the edges. The proverbial "cone of light." It's BRIGHT!
i.php

20140308212308-66d62b89-sm.jpg

Side-by-side comparisons with several other lights are in the review.