Reccomend an AA host for P60 drop-ins under $40?

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've got a few 18650 Solarforce P60 hosts, but I would like to expand into the AA/14500 area. I'm currently not aware of any AA hosts with type 3 hard ano under $40 with the exception of the Dereelights (Javelin & C2H). Oveready has some nice delrin 14500 to 18650 sleeve+spacer adapters for $16; willing to use these in an L2P if there aren't any decent AA hosts out there.

Also, does anyone know of anybody that makes low voltage P60 Nichia 219 drop-ins? I know Nailbender makes custom modules, but I haven't seen any low voltage ones advertised in his sales threads.

Thanks.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The solarforce L2M host has a two piece body. If you take it apart and use half of the body as an extension to one of your other solarforce hosts, it can be used as a 2AA light. You'll have to wrap the batteries with something to make up the difference in diameter. You may need to get a low voltage dropin,
The other half of the light can be used as a single CR123 light.

Just a thought.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Again, at solarforce you can get the "Solarforce 6p9p Extenter CR123A" for $4.50 and convert any of your current solarforce hosts into 2*AA format lights.
You'll need a dropin that can run at and below 3 volts.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poppy's exactly right.

As an additional note: if you want to cut down on the rattle, you need the AA -> 18mm sleeve from Oveready. Or just roll aluminum foil around the batteries.

You might need to send Nailbender or one of the other custom builders an email about a low-voltage P60 Nichia 219 drop-in. I can't recall seeing any for sale before.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nailbender 2.8-6v Drop in with a 219.
Mine is a 3 speed.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Poppy's exactly right.

As an additional note: if you want to cut down on the rattle, you need the AA -> 18mm sleeve from Oveready. Or just roll aluminum foil around the batteries.

You might need to send Nailbender or one of the other custom builders an email about a low-voltage P60 Nichia 219 drop-in. I can't recall seeing any for sale before.

Hmmm a custom bulb, that sounds nice :)

Solarforce does offer a lower cost option, but it is a XPG, not a XPG2 and I don't know what the tint looks like.
"Solarforce 320Lms R5 XP-G Cree Led 3 Mode 0.8V-4.2V Bulb"

Is R5 the tint?

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
The Solarforce L2M makes a great host for a 2AA light with the addition of an extender and an Oveready 2AA sleeve. I got my Nailbender XP-G2 low voltage drop-ins from his website, they are listed there, but they are unavailable at the moment, I contacted him a few weeks ago and it sounded like he was still waiting for the drivers to show up. I want to get a couple more of those drop-ins myself, I might have to try a Nichia 219 in one of them this time. If you are concerned about asthetics, the L2M with a second extender looks better than an L2 or L2P with an extender.

Here is a picture of my two L2M's set up for 2 AA's...
L2M2.jpg

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it ok to vampire this thread up? Well, here goes anyways!

Is anybody aware of a config that will support 1xAA?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MD1.5, you can have the body tube cut down from an MD2 by Martin D White of this parish.
Also Malkoff make an MDC AA body which you could put a VME head onto with the drop in of your choice.
They also make a 2 x AA body, but it's way over budget for this thread.

P

Sorry, Scout beat me to it. Back to the beer, then.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not under $40 (and not specifically for generic "P60" fitment) but I like this ...

lGdnuUC.jpg

I haven't specifically tried this with an E2C + Ti Seraph SP-6 bezel for true P60 compatibility, but imagine that could be made to work too.

Last edited:

light-modder

Enlightened
Wow Archimedes that looks stellar. I'm gonna have to try that when my Ti VME comes in. Almost grabbed two. What dropins do the VME heads hold/work with?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Wow Archimedes that looks stellar. I'm gonna have to try that when my Ti VME comes in. Almost grabbed two. What dropins do the VME heads hold/work with?

Thank you, I find it nicely balanced and (specifically for the 1xAA setup) I like it better than the stock McG bezel options.

It takes only standard Malkoff dropins. This particular one is hosting an M30WF.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Options are pretty slim if you want a host made specifically for 1xAA. My 1xAA setup is a Surefire G2, a 15mm spacer, and some paper towel wrapped around the cell to prevent rattle.

--flatline

archimedes

Flashaholic
Didn't Oveready have a Moddoolar 50mm tube ? DB-TL50 ?

EDIT - just checked, and it looks like they also have the Moddoolar Slim (14500) tube too.

Last edited: