• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: High Current AA to D cell adapters for 4D Maglite (stock size) [shipp to Norway]

Zepticon

Newly Enlightened
Hello :)
Im looking to get my hands on two sets of high current D-cell adapters for a 4D maglite. Any configuration is interesting, but i need atleast 8V to the driver using AA batteries.
Let me know if you have anything that might be usefull

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
even in a 12aa/4d holder you'll be up around 14.4v on NiMH rechargables. Might need to pick up a few dummy cells if you need to get down to 8v. Might be equally as feasible to use eight 1/2D cells for 9.6v.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
i need atleast 8V to the driver using AA batteries.
You mentioned "AT LEAST" 8 volt but what is the maximum voltage?
You may consider about
16AA in bored out 4D Mg.

Might be equally as feasible to use eight 1/2D cells for 9.6v.
Nominally 1/2D cells are actually 36mm long. Therefore 8 won't fit in 4D M*g and 7 will fit if tail cap is modified.

Last edited:

Zepticon

Newly Enlightened
I dont have equipment to get the mag bored. And getting it done proffesional would be insanely expensive in norway :D
The minimal voltage is about 8-9V and maximum is 21V. Its going to use 6600mA at max load.

And the reason i posted here was because i am looking for either a fivemega or mdocod adapters used :)

What modifications are needed to the tail cap for the 7x 1/2D to fit?

Zepticon

Newly Enlightened
Now that is interesting!
Those 38mm adapters, are they smoth surfaced or "gripped" like the middle of the light? If they are smooth, then they are the best option i have seen so far.
Is there a tutorial somewhere regarding how to bore the cap? I have access to a lathe so i can get that done if need be.

But will 7x 1/2D cells be able to handle the drain??

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont have equipment to get the mag bored.
I have access to a lathe so i can get that done if need be.
:confused:

What modifications are needed to the tail cap for the 7x 1/2D to fit?
You need to bore out inside tail cap so spring gets further in.

Its going to use 6600mA at max load. But will 7x 1/2D cells be able to handle the drain??
3500Ah 1/2D cells are capable of that load.

Those 38mm adapters, are they smooth surfaced or "gripped" like the middle of the light?
They are griped (knurled).

Zepticon

Newly Enlightened
Ahh.. I would prefer to keep the smooth end surface. I am a sucker for aesthetics (thats why i got a mag).

I have access to a lathe, but it does not have the equipment to bore the inside of the mag all the way in. But the cap is so "short" i can get it done with a regular iron.
This has been enlightning. Thanks a lot! I will try the end cap mod, and if that doesnt work, i will have to get creative.

Where do you recomend me to get those 3500Ah 1/2D cells? Any quality brands?