Destroyed LGI

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I gave my brother a Classic LGI for Father's Day. He's a Mazda mechanic and the LGI became his daily use inspection light.

Someone went into his toolbox and borrowed the LGI without his consent. This is how my brother found the light the next time he went to use it.

fa500c0f.jpg

Apparently, whoever borrowed it took it apart to look at it. When they put the head back on they obviously didn't know when to stop screwing it down. They broke the LED first and when the light wouldn't work they kept turning the head until the glass lens broke.

I gave my brother my Super LGI to replace this one. I told him to put some RTV on the head threads so it can't be turned easily by the next idiot who doesn't know what 'tight enough' means.

Now I don't have an LGI. It was the light I always turned to when I needed a light at home. I guess my McLux will have to step up to the plate.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer, i knoe there is always stu... people that don't know how tight is "tight enough" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

dude, just change the led /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
it is simple to change it. What you might actually have to do is to get another optic and lens (maybe emitter if you don't have one)

DrGwat

Newly Enlightened
My two LGI's met a similar fate. MrBulk suggested removing the heatsinks in order to properly replace the emitters (resolder new leads down into the bulb socket contacts).

Could someone perhaps provide a link to some simple instructions and materials choices that I could use to attempt my first LED surgery? Maybe I could replace just the emitters without disturbing the epoxied heatsink plug. I do have a small soldering iron with a fine tip.

I too would always reach for my LGI's (good size, brightness, battery life, AA's).

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer. I feel lots of pain looking at a shot like that and just thinking of the ja*k**s who did that. I would hunt him down and tighten his "nuts". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

It was probably a fellow mechanic and these guys are supposed to know better! Never touch another guys personal toolbox without permission, and if you do, it had better be because of a life and death emergency. And if you break anything, you make good on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats what happened to mine a few months back, my sister turned the head down so tight it crushed the LED. I sent it in to Mr. Bulk and he created the original Super LGI with it.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouchers! And the bastich probably didn't have the guts to step up and say he broke it, right?

Wilkey

richpalm

Banned
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif for those that touch my stuff, period!

My S-LGI is on the shelf right now 'till I get some loctite for it... I'm afraid of the same thing happening.

Rich

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was probably a salesman or a "Lot Lizard". These two groups never understand the unspoken rule of "Keep your effing hands off my tools!!". As a former Mazda mechanic (and as an active flashlight nut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), I feel your brother's loss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dan

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
People like that really pi** me off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Then the jerk didn't even have the balls to tell you they did it. They probably thought, oh well...it's just a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owwwww.. owww... ouch!!! Put a LuxIII on it and a Fraen LP optic. Then you'll have a SLGI... Oh yeah, don't forget the loctite. Perhaps put a wrap of electrical tape around the head. Won't stop it from turning but maybe people will see it and see you don't want it turned.

Velcro

Enlightened
May the emitter rest in peace.
423.gif
And may thunder (and power outages) strike upon the person who committed this hideous and evil deed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
MrMom,

A setscrew -- hmmm...helluvan idea. May try that on later SLGIs. I did do a "few" LGI heads by special request in the past where I wire brushed all the anodizing off the threads of both head and body and Arctic epoxied the head in place, but found that the ability to swap emitters (not to mention the entire head if and when that "turbohead" ever comes out for the LGI) was far too valuable to eliminate forever by permanently gluing everything.

But now a setscrew...one HELLUVA good idea!

Thanks!

jtice

Flashaholic
WTF did he tighten it down with? A damn wrench? GEEEZ

I also am afraid of ppl borrowing my lights, and using the wrong batts, wrong packs, or twisting things they shouldnt.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'll be opening the FAB foundation.
Flashaholics Against Borrowers.

the only person i let handle my lights is the lady of my life.

i honestly don't trust anyone else that isn't a flashaholic to handle my lights.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
You're right PercaDan; it could have been a salesman, porter, or even the shop manager who did it. My brother's lifts are the first ones you come to when entering the garage from the sales side of the building. I have seen people walk in and get stuff from his box when he wasn't around.

That's why at work my box is always locked when I walk away from it. It's not that I don't trust my fellow mechanics but someone might borrow a tool and forget to return it and I would have no idea who borrowed it.

I suppose whoever borrowed my brothers light, no one has stepped forward and admitted it, might have thought it worked like a Mag and was twisting the head to try and turn it on. When I show some of the mech's I work with my 2AA Legend (which I just put a BB750 3W TVOK sandwich into, WOW!) they're unsure how to turn it on.

I really like the idea of a setscrew. It would be easy enough to drill and tap a hole through the thick part of the head where the threads are. I will do that to this one when I can find a Luxeon III to repair it with. I'll then give it to my brother and see how long it will last.

I myself don't need such precautions; I have never had any worries when putting the head back on. I just screw it on until resistance is felt than stop. If the optics still rattles I tighten ever so slightly until the rattle stops.

I have never done a real mod so I haven't paid much attention to the details. It's Arctic Silver that I need to bond the Luxeon to the heat sink, right? Anything else I need to know to replace the Luxeon?