Fenix instant turbo / burst button: How does it work?

kj75

Enlightened
Latest models Fenix lights, like the E35 Ultimate Edition and TK61 have instant turbo mode or burst mode.

- When will it be activated? (E35 has one button for all modes)
- Can you activate it too when the light is on?

ven

Flashaholic
Hi there,on my tk51 you can hold the power button for instant turbo,also say you have selected medium spot and medium flood(or any combination),by holding power it again goes to instant turbo.When released it reverts to previous mode(again what ever combination was being used before power pressed) if makes sense.

So if the tk61 has "instant turbo" i presume same.In short by holding the power button with it off or on in any mode turbo mode will be activated.

kj75

Enlightened
Hi there,on my tk51 you can hold the power button for instant turbo,also say you have selected medium spot and medium flood(or any combination),by holding power it again goes to instant turbo.When released it reverts to previous mode(again what ever combination was being used before power pressed) if makes sense.

So if the tk61 has "instant turbo" i presume same.In short by holding the power button with it off or on in any mode turbo mode will be activated.

Thanks for you answer Ven.
But the TK61 has two buttons (like the TK75) and the TK51 three. TK51's third button is only for turbo mode...

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for you answer Ven.
But the TK61 has two buttons (like the TK75) and the TK51 three. TK51's third button is only for turbo mode...

True but its also the on/off too,maybe the tk61 on/off power button, you hold for turbo.......

ven

Flashaholic
If light is off and the power button is pressed and held,it goes into turbo mode.When released the light goes back off.

If light is already on and power button pressed and held it goes into turbo ,on releasing the power button it reverts to the original mode it was in.

kj75

Enlightened
Explained by Fenix on their website:

2a9wc5c.gif
[/IMG]

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If light is already on and power button pressed and held it goes into turbo ,on releasing the power button it reverts to the original mode it was in.

Certain tight/loose bezel UIs have a momentary maximum pseudo-function which is a personal favorite of mine - works like car high beam flashers always reverting back to previously used low mode and would be fine for signaling Morse code.

The "pressed and held" mentioned sounds like a nice short cut to max, but prevents the signaling functionality you can get from a true momentary.

Still searching for another momentary max UI from a preset low.

kj75

Enlightened
Certain tight/loose bezel UIs have a momentary maximum pseudo-function which is a personal favorite of mine - works like car high beam flashers always reverting back to previously used low mode and would be fine for signaling Morse code.

The "pressed and held" mentioned sounds like a nice short cut to max, but prevents the signaling functionality you can get from a true momentary.

Still searching for another momentary max UI from a preset low.

The Fenix TK51 has a better UI IMO...with 3 buttons....One only for instant turbo

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK51 has a better UI IMO...with 3 buttons....One only for instant turbo

Dedicated and momentary button?.... that I like :). Wish I could find it in a small EDC light though.

ven

Flashaholic
Dedicated and momentary button?.... that I like :). Wish I could find it in a small EDC light though.

There is a down side though reppans,that is no lock out............unless turn tail cap 1/2 turn which is not always ideal if need light from pocket on quick.

Ideally a lockout on another button,maybe holding the flood/throw together for 2 seconds to lock out,then hold power for 2 seconds and back on with instant turbo.......just a thought to get around the almost perfect UI:D

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a down side though reppans,that is no lock out............unless turn tail cap 1/2 turn which is not always ideal if need light from pocket on quick.

I hear you ven. Interestingly, I find I dislike momentary functions from off... but I really love having momentary max from on (ie, some lower mode in use).

No such thing as a perfect UI... :D

ven

Flashaholic
No such thing as a perfect UI... :D[/QUOTE]

True........i like my 1 mode for a nice change,simplicity sometimes is great,1 mode on/off.My olight m20vn with the 219 is perfect for ease,not sure on the lm but enough and guesstimate at maybe 200 ish..........the x3 2 modes is good too,i like simple sometimes:D...................like me:D :laughing: