Foursevens Atom Ao with red Led?

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I just saw them listed online and ordered as its something I've been looking for, for quite some time. I only wish it was in AA. Anyone have one, thoughts?

Etsu

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm intrigued. I may get one, although I already have a couple of other red LED lights. Red LEDs definitely have a place for preserving night vision. I also see they now have an Atom AA. I'd definitely get one of those if they came in a neutral or warm white. But 4sevens seems to just like cool white (and red!).

Illum

Flashaholic
The magnet prevents easy field battery replacements, I have to hold it with my hand at a distance from the table and knock my hand on the table to drop the batteries out. There is reverse battery protection because the anode is recessed. The reflector area has a transparent teal plastic retainer and a domed lens.

Pictures to follow
300cllk.jpg

okvt4z.jpg

Comes in a nice hard case, none of the flimsy thermal mold packaging the E01s come in. Included was a shrink wrapped Duracell AAA, which was stuffed in the light at time of this photo.
2itgfwp.jpg

2eefsdj.jpg

Magnet is recessed, quite strong.
2cnfaeq.jpg

Tailstands just fine
4i1s9v.jpg

Business end, through the transparent "reflector" I can identify some of the circuit components. Like the Atom, it is GITD, but its not self evident with the red LED. I had to excite it with a white flashlight to see it.
2iiix39.jpg

Inside the head, appears the anode contact is also the heatsink for the XPE, recessed anode. There is no spring on the opposite end, it appears to be a battery crusher :green:
ddmhzt.jpg

Two modes, always starts on low, off and on switches it to high. At 1.4V, DMM reads 85mA on low 140mA on high,
Runtime with an alkaline AAA will more likely be 10 hours on low and 5 hours on high. With an L92 likely 15 hours low, 10 hours high.

Low
6eekib.jpg

High
2qbypnt.jpg

I'm happy that I can find another light paralleling the discontinued red Gerber infinities, but a medium of about 5 lumens would have been perfect.

Buying from 4sevens website is $25 shipped. Amazon is $20 shipped. :green:

As you can see, its very small compared to [left to right] Gerber Infinity Ultra, Fenix E05, Fenix E01, Atom A0
2wcmydt.jpg

Last edited:

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
Re: Foursevens Atom A0 with red Led?

I just saw them listed online and ordered as its something I've been looking for, for quite some time. I only wish it was in AA. Anyone have one, thoughts?

I bought one of these, have had it for six weeks. My first and only red LED light. I have no particular application for it right now, but will try it outdoors as the weather improves. It's labeled Atom A0, but it seems otherwise identical to the Preon P0 SS, which has a cool white LED.

I also have the Preon P0 SS and the Atom A0 Ti. They are nice little lights with a GITD "reflector" (it doesn't GITD with the red LED, though). All of these lights have a tail magnet which tends to hold the AAA battery in the tube, but I don't have any trouble getting them out.

For $25 (less with the CPF discount), it is inexpensive enough to try out. Get one before they are gone. And you then can sing, "ROX-anne, you don't have to put out the red LED…"

Moonshadow

Enlightened
. . . pure red, but not deep red . . .

Thanks - that sounds about right. The Cree XP-E will be 620-630nm: what I've noticed with my other XP-E lights is that they usually look red enough in isolation, but when compared side-by-side with true red (660 nm) they do seem quite orange in comparison.

Nevertheless, I've ordered mine: at $25 it's got to be a deal - and I'm interested to see if it will be possible to swap the LED out. Will report back when it arrives.

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm interested to see if it will be possible to swap the LED out. Will report back when it arrives.

Disassembly is pretty easy, the PCB is double sided and sits in a retainer that screws into the inside of the bezel. The red foam piece has a layer of adhesive on the back, with careful work with the tweezers, it comes out pretty easily. Macro pics aren't the best [7 year old camera], but here goes.

51afzc.jpg

down the bezel, the slots for tweezers goes beside the SOT-23-6 chips, its not loc-tited, give it a little pressure and it budges.
b6vyg0.jpg

Pill from the rear end, it would seem the XP-E sits on the positive anode
w1fvvm.jpg

2m32yiq.jpg

Front of the pill is also a rubber membrane like structure. Semitransparent, GITD. Its just held there by its own tackiness.
Window has an O-ring and the pill carrier pushes against it. [No pics, sorry]
eijk9i.jpg

Comparison of the bottom and top
23iihc1.jpg

Front of the pill
28aj0ol.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea how to extract the LED, but I hope these pictures might help. :grin2:

EDIT: Vinh's already selling the P0 modded to XML
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...TS-AtomVN-Brightest-amp-Smallest-CR123A-Light

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! It's tempting, but I sure wish this thing didn't have a magnet in the tail.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Just thinking out loud -- I could foresee a problem if it's stashed near a wallet / credit cards or compass / hiking pack.

Etsu

Enlightened
Just thinking out loud -- I could foresee a problem if it's stashed near a wallet / credit cards or compass / hiking pack.

If you really don't like it, you could remove it, or destroy the magnetism by heating the magnet.

I don't think the magnet is powerful enough to zap credit cards, at least if they're in your wallet (my Preon P0 has never caused a problem). Maybe if you put it right against the stripe for awhile. But most cards use chips now, which are safe.

I could see a problem with a compass, though. Don't put them both in the same pocket, or you could end up with your compass pointing south instead of north. You could always remagnetize it to the proper direction again, using the magnet, but you'd have to know it's messed up.

Illum

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review! It's tempting, but I sure wish this thing didn't have a magnet in the tail.

I'm kinda in the same boat, but meh, its a trivial disadvantage when you realize there's no other lights out there as substitute. Finding a red LED light this size without relying on fauxtons are near impossible nowadays. Really wished the E01 had a run of reds.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Received mine yesterday, and tried it out in the dark last night. On low, it is good for when you only need/want a little light in order to see something that is reasonably close and either do not want to wake up your spouse or child, or want to preserve dark adapted vision. It puts out very little light, but an ideal amount for when you only want a little light. On high, it lights up the surrounding area quite well, and had surprisingly little effect on my dark adapted vision.

This is definitely a special purpose light. It would never be my choice as the only light I carried, but it makes a perfect supplement/backup to a larger light. I almost always have a Klarus XT2C or FourSevens QT2L as my primary light, so the red Atom makes an excellent backup that fills a need that my primary lights cannot fill. Mine has replaced my FourSevens MLR2 on my keychain, but if my keychain light were the only one I carried, the MLR2 would definitely be my choice. The ability to run the light on Eneloops, or on Alkaline in a pinch, is also helpful.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Just received mine in the post - thanks FourSevens

I am very impressed with the small size, and for me the magnet will be useful. The spacing of the two levels is ideal, and although I was initially not convinced by the foam doughnut "battery crusher" design, I'm happy to say that the switching works well without skipping.

The beam is great: smooth and clean - but at 620-630 nm the output does have a definite orange tinge to it :( This was expected, but it would be great if someone could do a light with a proper deep red (660 nm) emitter as standard. Thanks Illum for the photos of the pill - as the LED is mounted directly on the PCB, this might be tricky to swap out.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is simply the red led version of the A0 ( aka P0), then I'm not happy to report that yes, it's "battery crusher" design works as expected, it certainly crushes my eneloop AAA, and skips more often once the battery is dented. Wish they could just put a small spring on it.

Red light is red light. It'll help preserve dark adapted version.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I have been using the alkaline that came with the light, and found no damage to that cell from repeated light activations over the past few days. However, the O-ring had already worn out and fallen off. FourSevens sends extra O-rings with their lights, so I am sure I have a few spares at home.