NEBO #5620 REDLINE Select: Partial Review and Warning

xkwr27

Newly Enlightened
A few months ago, well before I joined this forum, I bought a Nebo redline select. I said partial review because I blew the led and thus cannot get any beam shots.
Features:
-Magnetic base with battery indicator.
-1-4x zoom(adjustable beam)
-Stealth ring
-Selector ring on base
Claims:
-100% 310 Lumens max range-216 yards- 2 hour life
-50% 155 lumens- 104 yards- 5 hours
-10% 31 lumens- 41 yards- 12 hours
-s.o.s./strobe- no range- 60 hours

Impression after 3 months use.

The rare earth magnet in the base was a little weak, though in its defense i expected the 1.5mm thick ting to hold on to moving caterpillar haulers.
The battery indicator in mine came on roughly 1 hour before the batteries failed.
The stealth ring in my opinion was just a nifty thing they wanted to add to the light but it does have the habit of sticking open.
The selector bezel gave me no problems what soever, it never changed settings in my pocket or my backpack.
The zoom feature worked well I could adjust the lit from flood to spot without having to use my other hand.

As to the claims a friend of mine has a strion he bought through Matco that is rated at 200 lumens and at full power with the lens adjusted to a spot roughly similar appearance the nebo did seem to be significantly brighter, so I will give it 310 lumens.

At 100% it also said it would hit 216 yards which is an understatement in spot I could put a 40 foot spot on a 50 foot diameter coal silo at 900 feet (office to silo) and with industrial Energizers i got 3 hours at 100% instead of the listed 2.
I did not really use the other two brightness settings except to verify that they worked.
The S.O.S. feature was nifty and as rural as it is where I live i can see the need for it.
The S.O.S. feature and the strobe both seem to operate at 100% brightness.
The strobe was a bit slow in my opinion.

I like this light and would readily own it again or install a replacement led.

I just got off a night shift I will post component images at a later date.

Now the Warning/Horror story.

This light used three aaa batteries to run, in my desk was a set 3 of 10440 batteries I had been maintaining against ever needing again. the 10440's were mostly wore out but they were still showing 3.8 volts about 30 minutes after charging. After researching the best I could here included and finding no info on the board or the bulb, and after receiving a non negatory response from nebo, all they said is li-ions just shut off with no warning so its best not to use them. I convinced myself to put the 3 10440's in my now precious nebo.
I put the batteries in the holder and slid the holder into the flashlight, fearing i had just made a death-ray or a pipe-bomb, and screwed the tail cap back on. i then set the light to 10% and turned the light on.
The 10% beam looked like my friends strion 50% looked like my nebo at 1005 with aaa batteries and 100% looked like the sun (maybe 500-600 lumens). Ecstatic I got online and ordered 3 more 10440's and went about my business untill they arrived. Then I made sure all 3 were charged and read the same voltage and installed them in my light after disposing of the old batteries as they had started showing signs of failing. as soon as the bottom cap made contact with the bottom of the tube I noticed a faint flash at the head of the light and could not get the flashlight to come on. So being true to my nature I tore the flashlight to pieces and after deciding the batteries were undamaged and the boards were likewise i inspected the led, and noticed that 2 of the filaments going to the die had bubbling around them. I had MURDERED the l.e.d. !! I guess 11.4 volts is sustainable for this led but 12.6 volts is too much.

The moral of this story is make absolutely Certain that the led you are running can handle the power you are supplying.

The Warning is DO NOT USE 10440'S IN THIS LIGHT IF YOU WANT TO USE IT FOR LONG.

goodnight all!

Norm

Retired Administrator
From your second attempt at posting.

if this is a repost i got logged out before i could post and got no post succesfull mesage

:welcome:

Click the "remember me" box when you log in and you won't have that problem.

Norm

xkwr27

Newly Enlightened
Thank you and I did. And I'll do another review or edit this one if I find an appropriate bulb for the nebo. The next in line if I can't find any info on it while here will be the streamlight tl-2 x I recently purchased.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk