Converting flashlight to light for reloading bench

Cgmohler

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I've been a member of the forum for a year or so, but this is my first post. I enjoy Selfbuilt's reviews and have purchased several LED flashlights based on his reviews.

This is is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I am looking for a way to utilize one of my flashlights for my reloading bench. I own a Stack On 66" bench and have conventional fluorescent lights in my garage. Rather than buy an office lamp, I'd like to use one of my LEDs like my First Light Tomahawk. I just can't come up with an idea for a mount to attach to my shelf above the bench.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

m4a1usr

Enlightened
If you have one of the models with the attached clip I'm pretty sure all you would need is to tack a wide staple to the bottom side of the shelf. That would point the light down. But your going to need to figure out the geometry to get the light positioned correctly. Another method would be to put some nails or screws on each end of the bottom of your shelf, say 4 or 5 on each side and string stiff wire. Sort of like an upside down clothes line. Then you could slide the light as needed from one end to the other.

yazovyet

Enlightened
How about mounting (screws or glue/epoxy) a magnet or piece of metal (iron/regular steel, not stainless or aluminum) to the under side of the shelf and a second magnet to the light (epoxy?) then let the magnets do their work (and hope you faced them to attract and not repel).

OR
Take 2 magnets and glue/epoxy a fabric strap (maybe with rubber on the inside for added hold?) between them that will just barley wrap around the outside of the light, in fact make the fabric slightly too short so the magnets pull it tight just before settling in place; to grip the light firmly. (these magnets are not to be glued to each other, just to either end of the strap) Add a piece of steel on the under side of the shelf (a few in different places for different attachment points if you want) and allow the magnets to stick to it.
I've drawn a diagram:
brown is shelf
black is steel
blue is magnets
grey is flashlight body
green is fabric strap
MLSOeNU.jpg

Cgmohler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, great ideas! I'll post pics of both ideas when I try 'em out!