Modding a Maglite 3D - help me pick parts :)

techtrino

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I need some of your endless wisdom.

New in here, but have done my fair share of reading in here :)

Okay - I have 3D i would like to mod. I have considered, buying one of those DX ready made modules like e.g.: http://dx.com/p/5-cree-r2-1200-lume...odule-52-7mm-42mm-8-4v-max-35241#.UuT1NBA1gUH

But thats seems nowhere near as fun as doing it by yourself.

However my problem is that the whole LED module and driver picking stuff is confusing....

I am going to use 3 KD 3AA to D adaptors (or I will make my own), with Eneloop batteries, giving me roughly 3,6V, or 4,5 if I have some duracells lying around.

I will use the H22A P3 bare top heatsink.

Here is the trick - I would like flood over throw and a nice neutral/ warm color and pref. above 600 lumens. What Led?

And then what driver, and where to get it (I live in Denmark, EU)?

Please help

Also how do your properly heatsink the driver?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mentioned LED module won't fit in D M*glite unless if you machine the end lip. And after doing that, you will still need to modify switch contacts.
You may get some idea how to do that in
this thread.
Keep in mind that you will also need proper voltage.

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF and the flashlight hobby.

There are a ton of threads in this section on maglight mods and sources. Consider running a search on this section of the forum and reading through about 20 stories / threads to get a feel for what has been done as a starting point.

I agree that doing as much as possible yourself is more fun than just installing a drop-in. That being said, there is a certain amount of trial and error that goes along with buying / making parts and getting it all to fit and work. Also, consider to budget about $ 100 - 200 for your first round of fun.

The truth is that there are a number of individual LEDs and LED arrays that can get you where you want to go, so the choices are pretty broad. LEDs from Cree and Philips Lumileds (and others) can easily meet your goals, just remember that to get 600 lumens "out the front" plan to use LEDs that are rated at least 50% to 100% higher than that. It isn't that hard to turn down the brightness, but it is harder to increase it.

techtrino

Newly Enlightened
Hi you guys,

I have read some 50 posts or so by now, so I think I got the search thing covered.

My questions is more specific than any answer i have found as most people want throw, I have considered the XM-L2 T6, 4500k 12mm plate with a nanjg 105 driver, but I am not sure if this is the best choice.

Also how would i properly heatsink the nanjg?

yazovyet

Enlightened
Those KD adapters give 3.6 volts each (assuming NiMH, alkalines just cant hold up to the current draws very well), you'd have to put in wires and insulators to have them work in parallel if you wanted to use a nanjg driver. I did this in a 2 D and I like the way it works but with a 3D I think I'd want to go for 3 D-cells since you'd get something like 10,000mA instead of 6000 to 7500 with the AAs. Also charging 3 Ds seems easier than charging 9 AAs.

In my experience the nanjg doesn't need much heat sinking, I just glued mine to the underside of the LED heatsink.

4500K should be a nice colour.