I need your help...

BigTzzy

Newly Enlightened

I need your help identifying a flashlight.

I know it has "Brinkmann" on the side of it.

I have no idea what model.

I would also like to know how difficult putting an LED in would be.

Thank you.

Your biggest problem is that the body is plastic, which will limit the amount of power you could run before the LED overheated. But conceptually it would be pretty "simple" to solder or arctic-alumina some pieces of metal together (Cylinder and disk) to duplicate the plastic bulb holder. LED on a 10mm star on the front, and appropriate driver on the back and you are good to go. I don't expect the beam would be too great without a lot of fiddling. There are a lot of technical details involved in LED and driver selection so that they play well together, and with the batteries, and with the plastic host.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can unscrew the internals from the bezel and use any number of P60 LED drop ins that are offered on ebay or by our own CPFers Vinh and Nailbender. Just remove the outer spring.

You cannot use Malkoff-style P60's however.

BigTzzy

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the quick replys.

I just ordered THIS

Do you think it will be brighter than the stock incandescent bulb?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I think you'll be extremely pleased with the increase in brightness, and the longer runtime on a set of batteries.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for the quick replys.

I just ordered THIS

Do you think it will be brighter than the stock incandescent bulb?

It'll most definitely be brighter than the incandescent bulb. The problem is that your host is plastic and that drop-in will get quite hot from prolonged use. Without a good thermal path to allow the drop-in to cool off you'll damage the emitter and/or electronics in no time at all. Even a custom drop-in using a 400mA driver will be a lot brighter than the incandescent bulb you are replacing and it will not have any heat issues. That drop-in you've selected runs at approximately 1.5A, almost four times more current than what I'm suggesting.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't run it for more than 10 minutes at a time, the heat probably won't be an issue.

BigTzzy

Newly Enlightened

Just so you know the intended purpose of this flashlight. It is mounted on my AR15 with a Viking Tactical mount. It should never be on for more than a few minutes at a time. I think most of the time it will be quick on and off while clearing rooms of my house.

Last edited:

BigTzzy

Newly Enlightened

Ok, more questions from the noob....

The drop in I am putting in my Brinkman is rated for 3.6v - 18v.

2 x CR123A in series equals 6 volts.

Is there a rechargeable battery that will fit in the same tube that the 2 x CR123A batteries were in that is higher than 6 volts??

BigTzzy

Newly Enlightened

Correct me if i'm wrong...The higher the voltage applied to an LED rated from 3.6v - 18v the brighter the light?

Like I said...earlier I don't expect runtime to be a factor. It is mounted on my AR and will only be used for very limited time.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Correct me if i'm wrong...The higher the voltage applied to an LED rated from 3.6v - 18v the brighter the light?

Like I said...earlier I don't expect runtime to be a factor. It is mounted on my AR and will only be used for very limited time.

Not necessarily. If the optimal voltage to the LED is 3.6v, then anything over 3.6v from the batteries is going to be bucked/withheld from the driver/LED. I think your best bet is to stick with 2 CR123 batteries and call it good.