New Mag 2C Switch Feel?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a new mag 2c. The switch doesnt seem as firm as all the D cells mags ive had. Are the C cell switches just like that? It's got a "cheap" feeling when i click the light off.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new 2C as well. The switch is softer, and it also feels like it requires more switch travel to click on.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I bought a 2C mag a few months ago and the switch on mine is exactly the same way. I like the switches on my 2 and 3 Ds better. They were all purchased several years ago so I'm not sure if this new switch is in all of their models now or if it's just the Cs.
John

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
All the MagCs feel like that at least all the ones that I've owned in the past few years. Soft, cheap, and seem like they'll fail but haven't.
Then the new designed MagCs came out (have letter C before serial # and have the Mag logo on the switch boot) which I thought would have improved switch design. The only thing that was improved was removal of the assembly is from the rear like MagDs and not the front like older Cs. Switch is still soft, the internals of the switch remain the same design as the older ones.
I've tried changing the internal springs to various stiffer ones with very little improvement at all. Still nowhere near the nice feel of MagD switches. Maglite needs to make the design of "C" switches the same as their "D" which are totally different. I've learned to live with em'.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Mag 2C feels soft, too. Not like any of my D cells. It feels exactly like an old Mag 5D that one of my friends has. It doesn't bother me, though.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I just bought a second 2C Mag, and I see now that it is the older version: No 'C' in the serial number; head contains O-ring seal vs. on the body; spanner wrench type retaining ring. Neither of my 2C switch covers nor the one on my MagCharger have the Mag logo that darkzero mentions.

As an aside, despite having both the spanner wrench and hex (Allen) wrench for the 2C, I still can't figure out how to remove the switch assembly. The Allen wrench doesn't appear to do anything. Just spins and spins. I have a wide selection of hex, torx, blade and Phillips drivers; nothing seems to fit. (I suppose my real frustration is at my failing eyesight. I just can't make out what it is I'm looking at when I look down the switch) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

New on the left - Old on the right
cmag1.jpg

cmag2.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
For the older style MagCs, first you must remove the spanner type retaining ring completely. Then remove the switch cover boot w/ needle nose pliers, using a 2mm allen key (long side), loosen the set screw that is deep down in the switch. With the switch in the "on" position push the switch assy. out the front. Sometimes if the switch seems stuck, with the allen key still in the switch I move it side to side to break it loose.

For the newer style, with the switch boot removed & the switch in the "on" position, loosen the allen and just slide the switch assy. out the back the same way you would disassemble a MagD.

I have a Mag3C and had a Mag2C that I modded for someone that both have the Mag logo on the switch boot. Both have a "C" in front of the serial # indicating the newer style MagCs. As far as D's I have never seen the Mag logo on the switch boot on any of them neither have I seen any MagDs w/ no letter "D" in front of the serial being sold in the past few years. All MagD's I've seen all have "D" in front of serial #.