Newly Enlightened
Surefire newbie here

If you could only choose or have one, which one would you get:
Surefire L6 or M3?

which one is brighter?

Thank you!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would lean towards the M3, probably. I haven't handled both so that plays a big part in my decision. From what I've seen the L6 is no different than the L4/5, only a different angled/sized reflector. That sucks IMO.

I wouldn't even bother with the M3 unless I was prepared to run the HOLA and use up alot of lithium cells. The standard output lamp sucks.

Actually, I would just get the Streamlight TL-3 for less than half as much, better output.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Manila said:
Surefire newbie here

If you could only choose or have one, which one would you get:
Surefire L6 or M3?

which one is brighter?

Thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you are going to use it for.

L6 is for lower light & longer run-time (65 lumens for close to 2 hours)

M3 is brighter and runs shorter MN10 125 lumens for 60 minutes, MN11 225 lumens for 20 minutes.

You can get an L6 and buy the M3 head and lamps seperately, or the KT-4 (would make the L6 into the M3T and includes the lamps)

Manila

Newly Enlightened
thank you all for your input

I'm currently waiting on the 10X and was looking for a smaller backup flashlight.

very particular in having the brightest possible light no matter how small the flashlight will be

Lithead

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the M3/M3Ts for the last three years. I have an L6 coming but I would not go the L6 route if that is going to be your only light.

What is the intended purpose for the light?

An M3 is a pretty big light to carry around for a "backup." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Lithead

Newly Enlightened
Oops, forgot to answer the other Q.

The M3 is brighter. 125 lumens or 225 lumen with the high output lamp (20 minute run time tho).

The L6 is only good for about 65 lumens I believe.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford, go for either an L4 or L5 (for it's compactness) for normal use and add in the M3 with a 225 lumens bulb for that extra boost in case you need to see further, IMHO.

Andy Ho

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M3 is a bad a$$ light without getting really big. I run the MN11 lamp with two Pila 150S cells. It's very bright and throws like a beast with good sidespill.

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Chop, I just tried that combination, WOW! I think this will be my standard configuration for the M3. What kind of run-time have beem able to produce?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop,

You should consider reaming out the inside of the M3 to accept the wider Pila. The HOLA will run longer before you start to get some yellowing. M3 is going to be my next incandescent after discovering the advantages of Li-Ion, particularly the 18mm varieties.

CM

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM,
Once I get my lathe, I have a LONG to do list to get through. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I think I'll try to get my hands on some 150A's (I think they are). I don't have the batt know how and want to stick with what is fool proof and believe me, I need it.

Aluminum Junkie, I've never run the batts in the M3 until the light went out, but I did run the MN11 for 20 minutes once and I turned it off before the batts went out. It does run pretty good on the Pilas. When I first got the rig, I think it was CM that told me that the MN line of lamps do better with the li-ions because they are more efficient than the P series of lamps. I can't disagree as I've had good results.

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Manila, As you can see, this is a great group of people ready and willing to share an incredible volume of information, just read and ask.

Chop, thanks for the info, if I get a chance I will post run-times. Bottom line, how can you go wrong with this much light in a re-chargable format! I love my Tiger Light but this is a very compact, bright option.

Manila

Newly Enlightened
surely am impressed with all the responses

thank you all

will go with the M3 based on your positive responses

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manila-

I have the M3 it's a very nice light and you will be pleased with it. But since you mentioned small as possible and back up, have you considered the Surefire C3? I have both.

Like the M3, the C3 it is a three cell light and has two lamps available for it (100 lumen/60 minutes and 200 lumen/20 minutes).

The deal is that the C3 almost 3/4" shorter and the head being 3/8" smaller in diameter. While that might not seem like much, it is much easier to slip into a pocket and less obtrusive. It would seem better for a backup if you already have a main light.

Of course you pay for this smaller with a different beam, the larger head of the M3 can produce a tighter beam with a brighter central hot spot, whereas the C3 has a slightly more even beam with a less noticable hotspot and a less throw.

The price difference is substantial the C3 being less popular goes for $110-$120 compared to the $170-$210 for the M3.

Both are great lights. If you like I can send you a photo I just took showing the M6, M3, C3, E2e, TW4, ARC LSHF-P, and the Firefly side by side.

GregR

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg, pls post the pic here for all to see - if you can´t host it pls email it and I will host it for you.

Thx

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go

greglight.jpg

Thanks Greg

Klaus

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus, Thanks for posting that for me.

Manila,

I'm not sure if it's readily apparent, but it is basically the larger head diameter than makes the M3 a little less carryable as a backup.

GregR