4 7's ATOM ALR2 First Impressions

bitslammer

Enlightened
I've only had the ALR2 for a day now but I'm already positive this will become an EDC for me. This light has some great draws for an EDC.

• It's small
  • It's light
  • Has 2 very useful modes
  • Has some of the best flood I've ever seen
  • Magnetic tail is a great feature

The light is perfect for close up tasks such as working on stuff. The pattern is an amazing smooth pool of light with almost no hotspot. Tint is fine with a slight bit of green on the outer edge. This may be from the glow in the dark "reflector." I put that in quotes as it really has no reflector. The lens seems to be pretty tough so we'll see how that holds up the rigors of being an EDC with the hazards of keys, change etc.

I've always wanted a real floody light and now I have what looks to be a great one. I won't be using it to illuminate critters high up in trees as it lacks throw, but I have plenty of other lights to grab if that need comes into the equation. I'm guessing that this will meet 99% of my EDC needs.

Razzle

Enlightened
Very nice.

I chose the Atom AL (modified by Vinh Nguyen to ~500 lumens) as I have many CR123/RCR123/16340 batteries.....don't know if I've ever seen a CR2, is it a fairly easy to find cell?

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Very nice.

I chose the Atom AL (modified by Vinh Nguyen to ~500 lumens) as I have many CR123/RCR123/16340 batteries.....don't know if I've ever seen a CR2, is it a fairly easy to find cell?

It is sometimes used in cameras. They can be found in big box stores, but are expensive to buy there. Titanium Innovations CR2 cells can be purchased from Battery Junction for about $1/cell.

wjv

Enlightened
Very nice.

How are the run times on the modified ones?

moveingfaster

Newly Enlightened
Very nice.

I also bought a modified atom by Vinh Nguye, how is the low on that light? The stock is related at 6 lumens. I just bought mine and can't wait to receive it. I also have the Atom ALR2. I love the light. It's great for walking my dog.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure I'd risk a full output runtime time test on a Vinh 500 lm modified one..... you'll probably burn this little light up and melt the GITD :)