486 sink headlamp

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
fa4e234f.jpg

AS greased Q3J batwing pushed down against the CPU sink by the little oring and optic.

fa4e2351.jpg

Epoxy reinforced pak with phonojack, on/off and direct drive/resistor drive switch.

fa4e2356.jpg

Bezel is a plumbing part screwed over a garden hose connector. The foam pillow is to adjust the beam horizontal angle.

fa4e234b.jpg

Oop, messy wires!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
You really going to run it with those heat sink fins digging into your forehead?

Wylie

Enlightened
Hey I like that oring idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Pretty seriuos heat sink I would have to say! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Do you have one of those fancy meter things that tell you how much light your Qj3 is putting out? Is that L/S a high dome?
The garden hose and the plumming are straight from my books of the fod mod! Sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hey Paul R,
A great deal of thermal lose through the body is through the head. All you need to do with this baby is set up a nice chain male bonnet and your on that like to school in the snow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif <<< drunk gremlin needed here!
No offence intended Ale I'm knocking a couple back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr, the fins are covered by the band and the foam pillow. I might remove some of the heatsink later even so.

It is a bit finicky to adjust the beam angle, but also it feels pretty "integrated" as opposed to the flimsy feel of many hinged headlamps.

The reason for the external pak is to run cheap AA's in the winter.

thanks monk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wylie, it is a low dome, and it puts out a decent amount of light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif sorry, no light meter.

Wylie

Enlightened
I thought that oring worked the first couple times myself but it may just be the surface of the L/Ss base that goofs it up. Kind a gets a guy thinking though doesn't it? A little different shape to the base and I am sold on the ring thing.
Edit 2: I think I like inward better as it would help hold the dome on for those who like to OD the poor little Lexeons. :devil: HAH it not a spelling error it's a gremlin error. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Just run a smaller oring and curve the base to accomidate the space of the oring as it moves outwark to accomidate the optics.
I think I need a spelling lesson here! Why is that second C in there anyway?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Oops! Dang beer! I should say either inward or outward! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif