5050 Strip Lighting Wiring Query

stricko

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I've just purchased some Warm White 12v 5050 Strip Lights. Being single colour, I expected there to be only 2 cores to connect to the power supply, But this strip has 4, labelled 12v, R, G, and B, as you would expect to find on a colour changeable strip. My first query was which single connector should I use (together with the one marked 12v). So I tested a small strip, and the answer seemed to be that they all worked. But closer inspection suggests that each of the R G and B Connectors is connecting to different sections of what I assumed would be a single LED. All of the sections are the same colour.

So, should I be wiring to a single point, and if so, which one, R G or B? Or should I be wiring to all 3 at once? Does a single connection give me full output, or do I need all 3?

The LED strip came with one end already wired. 2 cores, but the whole thing is heat wrapped so it's hard to see what they've done with the connections.

I was hoping to buy some solderless connectors, but these seem to come either 2 core or 4 core. The 4 core ones match the connector pattern, but, unsurprisingly have 4 cores..... I can't seem to find any that have the 4 core pattern, but only 2 outputs....

Help

jason 77

Enlightened
The 5050 type LED have 3 individual LED's in each little square. To get all of them to turn on in the strip you bought you have to connect all three R G B solder pads together.

stricko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I thought that was the case. But why doesn't anyone make a solderless connector that does it. There are enough 5050s out there. Crazy

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
They make them with just the 2 pads, I've found it hit or miss when buying on Ebay. More rare to find 2 pad double row strips.
I've found the white with rgb connections useful in light level control options.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have about 10M worth in various locations throughout my house, and more planned....
The oldest set burn on full 24/7 for the last 5 months and no heatsinking, there's been no lm loss or phosphorous burning, even when they've run as hot as 14.7v (off household UPS batteries) with an average of 13v. I've been using the double row (6 5050 chips on each strip segment, total of 18 leds) warm white s from supernight. On my island, I have a mix of WW & CW and it makes a great brightness with awesome color.
On my workbench, I have a set underneath that run 1 chip each 24/7 as a "night light" mode and switched for full power along with an overhead strip 3' long, so far so good (2 months now)
In my bedroom, I have strips if WW with rgb connections and an rgb controller, this allows great brightness control using the diy color mixing pwm... 1 chip each color, fully dimmable, 35 steps each...... That's 105 levels, lol.