TN32-"I hope it does not happen to you!!!"

Capolini

Banned
Ever hear of the group called "Cream"..........from the 60's,,,,,Eric Clapton? Anyway In the song, "BORN UNDER A BAD SIGN" they say, "If I didn't have bad luck I would not have any luck at all"!!! :shakehead

In all honesty it has not been that bad but I have had my share of Condensation issues with Four of my power house torches,,,,,,,the silica gel treatment has resolved and is resolving those issues.

The TN32 was one of the lights that had condensation under the lens the second time I used it. Tonight was the 5th time I used it and since I started Silica Gel therapy it has not come back!

Ok,,,,,,,,tonight, 20 minutes into my mini hike w/ Capo My Siberian I just happened to check the lens. I was baffled! There was not condensation, the lens looked FROSTED! I took another look and realized this must be some gas or vapor,,,,,,,,I could not see the LED. It was Opaque, like a dense fog! I turned it off and then back on and noticed the output had diminished tremendously!

Thank God for my TK35[and other back up lights I bring!]. I mean that! This dirt country road had more travel because of a road closing! Without a torch , I would be *%##%%!!!

Back to the TN32. After a few minutes when the Fog had settled I shined my TK35[on low at an angle of course!] across the lens and noticed that THE LED WAS FRIED!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Things happen,obviously a defective LED or something shorted out causing it to BURN UP!!! BTW I bought it on January 12, 2014!

I do not know exactly how these operate. I do know Thrunite boosted the amps. on this version to around 6amps. Could that be the cause?? I do not know,,,,,,,,the experts can evaluate, discuss and determine that!

The good news is I am a FLASHAHOLIC!! I get to use the K40vn more,,,,my newest torch and a very awesome one! I love my TK75, M3X, OSTS TN31mb and my X10vn!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Also,,,,,,,,,,,,I love my dealer!! They have ALWAYS taken care of me,,,,,,I have my return label, box is packed and they[IS] will be sending me a new TN32 in a few days!

I did take pictures before I packed it in the box!! I probably do not need to tell you this but I will!!

The REFLECTOR has magnified the Burnt LED and displays the image of it!!! Pretty cool pics.!

What is the cause Gentlemen? "TIME IS YOURS" PICTURES BELOW!

TN32BURNTLED005_zpse1fc6eca.jpg

TN32BURNTLED006_zpsc6cd8ced.jpg

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is wild. I have not seen an LED look like that before. I wonder if it was just a weak LED or something? Many people have been driving XM-L2 LEDs on copper MCPCB at 6-6.5 amps with no problems. Thanks for posting pics as that clears up people questioning you about saying the LED is fried!

Capolini

Banned
Wow, that is wild. I have not seen an LED look like that before. I wonder if it was just a weak LED or something? Many people have been driving XM-L2 LEDs on copper MCPCB at 6-6.5 amps with no problems. Thanks for posting pics as that clears up people questioning you about saying the LED is fried!
Your welcome!! Craig from IS said he never heard of one frying!! Leave it to me to get one!

If the TN32 was my only high powered torch, I would be bummed!........I have a healthy collection like most of us "Flashaholics!"

ThruNite

Newly Enlightened
Don't worry, Capolini, we will get a replacement to you since the light is covered under a 2 year warranty. It looks as if there was a small gap between the LED and the copper star. Due to the high current of 6.5A the LED probably overheated in that spot and was damaged. Please don't worry, we will replace it for you.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
Holy cow! Looks to me like the emitter die was missing solder under the half that went bad and the heat from that area couldn't get into the MCPCB.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Sorry to hear that,Roberto! That light does not look good at all! :eek:

I´ve never seen anything like that before happen to a LED. It´s good to know however that your going to get a replacement light for this defective TN32. It would be interesting to know if the condensation in combination with cold has anything to do with this issue or if it´s caused by something else?

Capolini

Banned
Sorry to hear that,Roberto! That light does not look good at all! :eek:

I´ve never seen anything like that before happen to a LED. It´s good to know however that your going to get a replacement light for this defective TN32. It would be interesting to know if the condensation in combination with cold has anything to do with this issue or if it´s caused by something else?
Hi David!,

It only formed condensation under the lens once,this was the 5th time I used it. Something was defective with the LED and or the way it was mounted. That is my guess. Temperature[outside] and condensation [10 days ago] I do not think had anything to do with its self destruction!!!

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Hi David!,

It only formed condensation under the lens once,this was the 5th time I used it. Something was defective with the LED and or the way it was mounted. That is my guess. Temperature[outside] and condensation [10 days ago] I do not think had anything to do with its self destruction!!!

If so then the issue is probably caused by some other defective with the LED. However i can read from ThruNites reply that you will get a replacement light so it will be allright.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
My guess is the LED was not mounted on the heat sink with enough solder paste. I have witness MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY LEDs not mounted with sufficient solder paste from every company.

Capolini

Banned
My guess is the LED was not mounted on the heat sink with enough solder paste. I have witness MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY LEDs not mounted with sufficient solder paste from every company.

Makes sense to me! I am sure you have seen Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds of LED'S throughout the process of all your Mods!! :thumbsup:

My TN32 "was" a great torch!. The TN32 still "is" a great torch.

I would not let this DETER anyone from purchasing the TN32 unless what appears to be an isolated incident becomes a somewhat common occurrence.

Roberto's TN32, "QUI RIPOSA IN PACE"!!!:huh:

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's good to see Thrunite is taking care of it. My guess is this will be an isolated incident but only time will tell.

Capolini

Banned
It's good to see Thrunite is taking care of it. My guess is this will be an isolated incident but only time will tell.

I agree Mr. Tone!! In fact, you "SET THE TONE[!!!]" by being the first person to post on my thread! :cool:

This is a bit technical!

However, It is more like this! Illumination Supply is taking care of me[ as they always do] and in turn, Thrunite Should take care of Illumination Supply, resulting in both Capolini and Illumination Supply being taking care of by Thrunite,,,,,,,AS THEY SHOULD BE! ;)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Sorry to here roberto,you are the man to test these lights to their full(in more than one way) be it outside temps and time on high/turbo.As said by the experts it sounds like a manufacturing issue.
I am sort of on the line about this light,more for getting one and how things are resolved certainly gives piece of mind come any issue(which can happen to any make of light)
Very reassuring its all in hand and Thrunite/IS will soon have another in your hands.

:thumbsup:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree Mr. Tone!! In fact, you "SET THE TONE[!!!]" by being the first person to post on my thread! :cool:

This is a bit technical!

However, It is more like this! Illumination Supply is taking care of me[ as they always do] and in turn, Thrunite Should take care of Illumination Supply, resulting in both Capolini and Illumination Supply being taking care of by Thrunite,,,,,,,AS THEY SHOULD BE! ;)

Yes, that would be the proper chain of events :)

swan

Banned
Gday Roberto, your real world use provides a valuable and real guide of reliability and performance to all of us with your ever expanding collection of the latest and greatest lights. I think as others have said it looks like a poorly mounted led to pcb and 6amps of current took care of the rest. It will be interesting to see how quickly this is resolved and more importantly how the new one handles the 'The Capolini factor' real world use-thanks.

Capolini

Banned
Gday Roberto, your real world use provides a valuable and real guide of reliability and performance to all of us with your ever expanding collection of the latest and greatest lights. I think as others have said it looks like a poorly mounted led to pcb and 6amps of current took care of the rest. It will be interesting to see how quickly this is resolved and more importantly how the new one handles the 'The Capolini factor' real world use-thanks.

Gday mate!!

As far as how quickly it will be resolved,,it is already in motion as Illumination Supply will be sending me my new torch next week.I live 30 miles NW of Philadelphia,,,,,,,,,I sent it back at 9 AM[was first person at V.F. Post office]!! It is ready to board a plane destined for San Jose, Ca. as I type this!

Unless the "This" in how quickly it will be resolved is in regards to Thrunite correcting the glitch,,,,,,I don't know. Like they say,,"Haste makes Waste".. The person who built the defective part of my torch was probably RUSHING/IN A HURRY!! lol!

As far as "The Capolini Factor"[I got a kick out of your terminology!!]. I am actually toning down "Constant Turbo on all my torches!!I am starting to use the other levels about 15 to 20 minutes out of my 65 to 70 minute mini hike!!

GUESS WHAT??? IT WILL BE DARK IN 25 MINUTES!!:thumbsup::twothumbs:twothumbs

TONIGHTS LINEUP: K40vn with the X10vn getting around 20 minutes of use as the back up torch!!
:)

Have a good Day/Night,,,,Down under!!;)

FlashLion

Enlightened
The heating should not be a problem for this big lights used outdoor in the cold weather.
You and Capo are the best real world testers for this lights.
Hope you will have a new TN32 soon.

Capolini

Banned
The heating should not be a problem for this big lights used outdoor in the cold weather.
You and Capo are the best real world testers for this lights.
Hope you will have a new TN32 soon.

Thanks Flashlion! :)

Illumination Supply is very accommodating. the new torch will be here next week.

I am grateful to have so many torches to enjoy! I went on one of my favorite hiking trails that is close to home. I really enjoyed the K40vn and the X10vn! They are both awesome torches.

The TN32 is no slouch,especially for a stock torch! I am moving to Norway so i can have more darkness to enjoy all my torches!!!

dss_777

Enlightened
For some reason, the lyrics for "Hound Dog" keep playing in my head.

Wonder why that is?

:whistle: