RC40. TM26. Night game of disc golf in the woods. A few impressed COPS. Great night!

spazmatt527

Newly Enlightened
Just had a pretty awesome experience that I figured I'd share with you, CPF.

Went out for a night game of disc golf at this course near my house in the woods. I had my RC40, and I lent my TM26 to my other friend and my HC50 headlamp to my 3rd friend. (Had "fun" trying to tell them how to operate them. I told them they should try my Zebralight...) Lemme tell you, with everything on turbo, we might as well have been playing in the daytime!

So, since the course technically closes at dusk, we had to park about a quarter mile away and sneak in. On the very end of the 18th hole, my phone rings. It's a private number. I answer, and it's the local deputy inquiring about why I had parked my car on a private road/driveway. I tell him we were just out for a walk, but that I'm on my way back to get my car right now and sorry for parking where I shouldn't have.

So, we exit the course, and start the walk back to my car. We get to the main road and start the quarter mile walk. It's a fairly flat/straight road and I could see, without any flashlights on, that there are two squad cars parked by our cars, with their orange running/parking lights on. The deputy on the phone sounded like a pretty alright dude, so I decided, "Hey, cops usually appreciate good gear, such as flashlights." So, still about a quarter mile away, I pull out the RC40, put it up against my chest so that only I could see the light, turned it on, cycled up to turbo (3500 lumens), turned it off, aimed the direction of the cops and lit 'em up! (For about a second, at least...RC40 can be bright, even from those distances and I didn't wanna go from "messing around" to "being a jerk" and potentially pissing off the police.) I turned the light off, then like a second later they shined their car spot light right on us (paled in comparison to the RC40!), and I said to my buddies, "Oh, it's on!". I turned the RC40 back on, threw a split second of strobe in, and suddenly they have two or three LED flashlights pointed at us, strobing out too! The whole time my buddies are telling me, "Knock it off, dude! Stop, you're gonna **** them off!". And I said, "Nah, dude, they're strobin' back, we're good man. They're cool. You watch, when we get there they'll ask me about my flashlights and I'll show them off to the cops and you guys will hate me even more! :D" (They think I'm obsessed with flashlights, and that no one else gives a poop about them. Boy was I hoping to get to prove them wrong and watch them eat their words.)

So, after a little back and forth flashlight battle, we finally have made our way up to the cars. As I walk up, literally the first thing out of the cops mouth is, "Alright, first thing, let's see that flashlight!". For a split second I think, "Oh poop, he's pissed. He's gonna confiscate it and deem it "illegally bright" or something." So I say, "Haha, what're you jealous or something :D ?". He says, "Yeah man...what make is that, a Fenix?" So I tell him yeah, it's an RC40 and he's like, "Shiiiit! Turn that thing on high and point it at those houses over there on that farm! (~200 meters)" So...I did. I put it on high. Let's just say they were very impressed. Then I asked if they wanted to see "turbo", haha. They were pretty taken back with how bright it was. I also showed them the TM26 and they loved it, too. They showed me their lights...had a few Fenix TK35's. We talked flashlights for a few minutes, then they took off and we got our cars outta there. I turned to my friends with a poop-eating grin and had the best "told ya so" moment in a long time.

I'd say that was a pretty good/fun flashlight night!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad it turned out okay but it could have gone very differently. Personally, I wouldn't have done what you did. While I am a civilian I do understand that being law enforcement can be a very stressful job. One has to also consider that they have to be alert at almost all times. That goes up at night. Presenting a situation where they may feel threatened (blinded in this case), they could have gone on the defensive or offensive and I don't mean them shining the car's spotlight back at you. Nothing wrong with wanting to talk lights with them, but show them don't blind them. Just my two cents.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad it turned out okay but it could have gone very differently. Personally, I wouldn't have done what you did. While I am a civilian I do understand that being law enforcement can be a very stressful job. One has to also consider that they have to be alert at almost all times. That goes up at night. Presenting a situation where they may feel threatened (blinded in this case), they could have gone on the defensive or offensive and I don't mean them shining the car's spotlight back at you. Nothing wrong with wanting to talk lights with them, but show them don't blind them. Just my two cents.

This. Maybe to impress them you should have walked toward them shining it straight up like a lightsaber :p

RemcoM

Enlightened
Just had a pretty awesome experience that I figured I'd share with you, CPF.

Went out for a night game of disc golf at this course near my house in the woods. I had my RC40, and I lent my TM26 to my other friend and my HC50 headlamp to my 3rd friend. (Had "fun" trying to tell them how to operate them. I told them they should try my Zebralight...) Lemme tell you, with everything on turbo, we might as well have been playing in the daytime!

So, since the course technically closes at dusk, we had to park about a quarter mile away and sneak in. On the very end of the 18th hole, my phone rings. It's a private number. I answer, and it's the local deputy inquiring about why I had parked my car on a private road/driveway. I tell him we were just out for a walk, but that I'm on my way back to get my car right now and sorry for parking where I shouldn't have.

So, we exit the course, and start the walk back to my car. We get to the main road and start the quarter mile walk. It's a fairly flat/straight road and I could see, without any flashlights on, that there are two squad cars parked by our cars, with their orange running/parking lights on. The deputy on the phone sounded like a pretty alright dude, so I decided, "Hey, cops usually appreciate good gear, such as flashlights." So, still about a quarter mile away, I pull out the RC40, put it up against my chest so that only I could see the light, turned it on, cycled up to turbo (3500 lumens), turned it off, aimed the direction of the cops and lit 'em up! (For about a second, at least...RC40 can be bright, even from those distances and I didn't wanna go from "messing around" to "being a jerk" and potentially pissing off the police.) I turned the light off, then like a second later they shined their car spot light right on us (paled in comparison to the RC40!), and I said to my buddies, "Oh, it's on!". I turned the RC40 back on, threw a split second of strobe in, and suddenly they have two or three LED flashlights pointed at us, strobing out too! The whole time my buddies are telling me, "Knock it off, dude! Stop, you're gonna **** them off!". And I said, "Nah, dude, they're strobin' back, we're good man. They're cool. You watch, when we get there they'll ask me about my flashlights and I'll show them off to the cops and you guys will hate me even more! :D" (They think I'm obsessed with flashlights, and that no one else gives a poop about them. Boy was I hoping to get to prove them wrong and watch them eat their words.)

So, after a little back and forth flashlight battle, we finally have made our way up to the cars. As I walk up, literally the first thing out of the cops mouth is, "Alright, first thing, let's see that flashlight!". For a split second I think, "Oh poop, he's pissed. He's gonna confiscate it and deem it "illegally bright" or something." So I say, "Haha, what're you jealous or something :D ?". He says, "Yeah man...what make is that, a Fenix?" So I tell him yeah, it's an RC40 and he's like, "Shiiiit! Turn that thing on high and point it at those houses over there on that farm! (~200 meters)" So...I did. I put it on high. Let's just say they were very impressed. Then I asked if they wanted to see "turbo", haha. They were pretty taken back with how bright it was. I also showed them the TM26 and they loved it, too. They showed me their lights...had a few Fenix TK35's. We talked flashlights for a few minutes, then they took off and we got our cars outta there. I turned to my friends with a poop-eating grin and had the best "told ya so" moment in a long time.

I'd say that was a pretty good/fun flashlight night!

Hi,

How intense and bright, is the fenix RC40 against your cars headlights?

At High beams?

The RC40 should be brighter, and more intense.

Have you compared it, with your cars high beams?

What type car you have, what brand? If not, can you compare it, to your cars headlights/HIGH beams?

Regards,

Remco

warmurf

Enlightened
Showing off with an RC40 and TM26?? No where else to go after that!! Lucky they didn't say "show us something brighter then we'll let you go"...

wedlpine

Enlightened

I agree.

spazmatt527

Newly Enlightened
We were a quarter mile away from them when I shone it on turbo. The rc40, while an amazing light, is not "blinding" at a quarter mile. And I shone it at their cars, not at their faces. I know the capabilities of my lights, and how close is "too close" to shine it at someone.

If I was 50 feet away or something, then I'd agree with you.