Key Chain LED Flashlight 20 Lumen rechargeable by Saphire II. Any better than this?

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

First post over here from the Auto section and I know you guys know your stuff since I've read a few threads in the past. I've been looking for the brightest LED keychain light with a button activation.

I've seen this one advertised, but its only 20 Lumen and seems to be only sold by these guys unless others know who makes this light:
Herringtoncatalog Sapphire II USB w/Smoked, Armorized-Glass Panels

I've heard of other small lights like Olight with mods, but I want small, and one hand operation.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
20 lumens is more than enough for a key chain light,the idea of a key chain light is to aid your entry into your house and similar tasks.Push button key lights generally use coin cell batts and are designed to last for months on the same batteries.

Your best bet if you need more lumens just buy the smallest AAA/AA cell you can find,there are dozens of posts on here and a quick search will throw up a list of AA and AAA complete with specs and pics and reviews.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has some nice features.
I don't think that it is any brighter than the other quality coin cell lights like the Photon Freedom, because they all use the same Nichia 5mm LED.
I like the USB charging feature, and the build quality looks good. Probably a little heavier than the plastic Photon.
I think it might be a nice light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The cool factor of that light is that it can be recharged with the USB port. Otherwise it is bulky for a little 20 lumen light.

I used to carry a Streamlight Nano on my keychain, but rarely used it. It has a pitiful beam, and the batteries aren't rechargeable, and I didn't want to run them down in case I needed it in an emergency.

I switched to a one of the smallest AAA lights I could find. It has 5 and 60 lumen modes, has a beautiful tint, and is still shorter than my car key.
I carry the one all the way to the left in this picture.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...A-Suggestion&p=4364718&viewfull=1#post4364718

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I checked back because I didn't not get notified so I hope I corrected that issue as somehow my setting in my profile changed.

Poppy: Your speaking of the DGQ light? Does it have a button or do you need to turn the head to activate?

I'm glad I didn't order that Saphire II until I heard back from you guys. Has that light been seen by you guys for sale cheaper other than that expensive mail order catalog link that has been removed?

Looks like I've been labeled as scum since I posted that link.....sorry Norm.:whistle:

I just want the coolest brightest keychain light!

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Headover to Xtars site they are well known for there charger but make some good lights to.

They do a coil cell light that is the photon that has already been mentioned (It is the same as I have the photon as a freebie from flashaholics and it says Xtar on the back, if you want recharable they also make a awsome USB rechargble keychain light and then various other mini AAA lights and 123A ligths all of wich will fit on a key chain, just up to you on form factor / power source and size and output really they have a light for almost anyone idea of a keychain ligght.

Have a look you might see something you like.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
... link that has been removed?

Looks like I've been labeled as scum since I posted that link.....sorry Norm.:whistle:

I just want the coolest brightest keychain light!

You are not scum nor have you been labeled as such. There is a post by the forum owner about posting links you could read.

Now when you say you want the brightest; that kind of gives you away.

You will have to decide how much weight you are willing to carry, balanced with how much runtime and maximum brightness. There are so many choices, it is wonderful. For many years I have been carrying a rechargeable Microlight but have since transitioned to an MBI HF, with the Microlight as a back up.

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
That's a serious piece of equipment re; the MBI HF. I went to their site.....just a little confused on the options. Are all of these small hi-po keychain lights available at any dealers in S. Florida to hold and play with them or do you guys all buy dealer direct based on all the info here?

I really likey! :twothumbs

"I'm not worthy" :bow:
"I'm not worthy" :bow:
"I suck" :bow:
"I'm scum":bow:

"Party on Wayne....Party on Garth"!:rock:

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I checked back because I didn't not get notified so I hope I corrected that issue as somehow my setting in my profile changed.

Poppy: Your speaking of the DGQ light? Does it have a button or do you need to turn the head to activate?

Regards,
Chris

Yes, it's the DQG AAA. Its a twisty, but can be operated with one hand.
I used to carry a button switch light, but had to loosen the tail cap to keep it from accidentally lighting while in my pocket.

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
I won't be putting my keys in my pocket....too many. I usually have my hands full which is why I wanted a button switch but I'm sure I can twist it with one hand...... I've been just used to the cheepy's that use a button that is either momentary, or a slide, but those always seem to loose power when not in use.....I talked to the guys at my local Batteries Plus franchise and they said the same....

I think I maybe buying a few different lights. Any good sources on the DGQ AAA?

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready sells the MBI HF or you can get one from the man himself. Are you talking about options from MBI? Or in general?

If you lose lights the HF is a fair chunk of change. I'm banking on the switch on the HF to be long lasting, something that is not so assured with cheap lights. And it requires due diligence, not a play-around and see what happens kind of light.

Be careful if you take a look at the Oveready website. There be dragons and such, and some other lights you may take a fancy...

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Olight i3s for $20 shipped, along with an Sanyo Eneloop, will blow that thing out of the water, IMO. If you want something small, Battery Junction sells a coin cell fob light that's $1.20 and runs on two 2016s.

Chris

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
I'm still goof'in off looking for the perfect flashlight. Came across so many. I can't believe how many flashlights there are and amazed and confused! I'm still stuck in the 70's when you only had a choice of only a few like the classics....I'll never forget my AA Mini "Everready" or "Ray-O-Vac"! $18 on Ebay!

Anyway, I found the maker of that "Sappire USB" light I originally posted. I found it on a Youtube Video "Sapphire USB".

It's made by a company who makes police handcuffs and batons called ASP. "ASP-USA . com" They make some other USB tactical flashlights so I'm not sure if you guys know about that company. I'm only interested in the keychain size. I left a Youtube comment to see if they can make one that cranks out 100 lumens but I guess it only puts out 20 lumens.

There is a spec sheet on their site with an internal diagram. I wish I could post the link here. So it uses a built in 3.7 "Lithium Polymer Battery".
Anyone think this can be modded for higher output or use a different battery type?

Still searching for the perfect mini keychain LED with a switch!:candle:

Or maybe something like "E.T." had built into his finger!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too many AAA lights with a clicky.
image.jpg

Peak Eiger large optic from Oveready with momentary switch and microstream clip (the SS is very tough and it is very bright on a li-ion - other heads are available), Lumintop Tool (also very bright on a li-ion), Preon P1 (ti with a clicky and it actually has a split ring), MicroStream, Pelican 1910 (I hear there is a new 2-mode version now). The last light is not a keychain size.

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely check them all out. Will any of these also take some kind of rechargeable lithium ion?

A company I saw on Youtube did a review of a: Nitecore EC1 Explorer Series 1 x CR123 280 Lumen LED Flashlight

The Youtube video is under " Nitecore Explorer Series Flashlight Review EA1 EA2 EC1 EC2"

I like the EC1 but its probably too big for a keychain at 65mm or 2.5" in length for a key chain, but I like that it has buttons on the top. I think it was this guy who said in this 27 min video or some other expert to buy only a flashlight that uses CR123 or rechargeable 16340 for the best output and performance??????

On some thread here that I saved, someone remarked about some high $$$$$$ micro keychain LED that was $200+ dollars. This person found it at a garage/yard home sale and bought it for around $5. Found It.

POST #27: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-battery-flashlight-in-the-30-50-lumens-range

So it was the Lummi Raw 280 lumen..... very small, but it's a twist. I do see some controversy in sales about that flashlight and a seller. The UK seller's site no longer works. I'm sure you guys know all about the backstory....

By the way, I need something really bright and on my keychain to blind the "F" out of our apt. buildings security cameras because they watch and log me coming and going. Long story of harassment and lawsuits flying back and forth!
Terrible way to live..............
:shakehead....then they cancel my key entry door fob just to be creeps and laugh when I can't get into my own home.....
:mad::sigh:
But I have ways around that!

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MBI HF is very small (bodies for either a proprietary 10250 or AAA 10440 li-ion cells) and very bright. Check the threads on CPF, the MBI site or Oveready. MBI is a customer service oriented company and has a devoted following.

You can also get a Peak Eiger with a 10180 body. That's about 1/3 the length of an AAA cell. Just remember that bright lights on small cells (10180 or 10250) won't have long runtimes. Not a problem for a keychain light, IMHO.

Concerning Lummi, it is much more than just controversy.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a new torch off a cpf vendor with a few other bits and bobs and i got a free key ring torch for nothing,small with on and off switch and works on coin cells would suit you. :wave: