Do you have a digital camera?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a digital camera?
If so:

1.) What do you use it for mostly?
2.) What kind of camera do you have?
3.) How does your camera suit your needs?
4.) Is there a different camera that you think would be better for you? Which one?

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
1. Sharing picures via the internet
2. Olympus D-360L 1.3 Megapixel(all that's needed for internet use.
3. Yes but I wish it had a optical zoom
4. One with an optical zoom

raggie33

*the raggedier*
kodak 6330 i got it 3 days ago maybe 5 days lol. its very nice its 3.1 megapixels its rated very very high. so far i like it

torment

Newly Enlightened
1. Photographing everything I can
2. Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom 5MP
3. Gives me a fair amount of manual options to take the kind of pictures I want. Good optics.
4. Canon Digital Rebel 300D. Friend has some Canon EF lenses so I can make use of his stuff. Even more manual features. My Olympus is for sale(!) so I can pick one of these up.

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
1. everything its all about fun.
2.Canon D60 with a few lenses.
3.the D60 AF kinda slow but I got used to it.
4.yes! the 1DS!

Tomas

Banned
1.) General photography
2.) Fuji 4700 Zoom (4.3Mpix)
3.) Good image quality, fast recycle
4.) Fuji 700 ? Nikon ? Kodak ?

Would like on next:

Very fast recycle times, very good lens, good available light capabilities, broad exposure range, remote shutter release, external flash synch, good ergonomics, non-compressed storage option.

B@rt

Flashaholic
No...
cry.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i bought a fuji 2650 last year i didnt like it when i was at dads last wek i took it back they gave me kodak for free.

Darkaway

Enlightened
I have a G2 and PowerShot S200 (aka digital Elph), both made by Canon. I'm pleased as punch with both of 'em.

I use them mainly to create a record of the events of my life. My frequent trips with the wife and kids, races, peak bagging, pets, holidays, home improvement projects, almost anything. I never attend a significant event without a camera. When I'm an old man and my kids are grown up and gone, I want to be able to sit in my rocking chair on a rainy day and look at what I've done with my life.

I took plenty of pics with film before, but digital cameras have made things much simpler and cheaper.

I use the Elph (it's the size of a pack of cigarettes) for backpacking, hiking and any place where its small size/weight is an advantage. At events like family gatherings I use the larger G2 with its higher resolution and multiple bells and whistles.

Both of these cameras are already obsloescent; each has been replaced by a newer model. But I'm perfectly happy with both of them and they won't be replaced until they either fail or something else that's a quantum leap ahead of them is introduced. But I do sometimes wish that I had at least a 10x zoom for those outdoor shots......

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, do you like your Kodak 6330? Are you pleased with the results, particularly indoor shots? I assume you mean the CX6330, the 3 meg pix, 3x optical zoom one. I got one for a Christmas gift after playing with one at Circuit City. Although I didn't have a compact flash card with me to save pictures, I was amazed at the quality of the camera for the price ($180). Nice and solidly built with an articulate LCD. I've looked at other inexpensive cameras before and usually their LCD if they even have one, is lo-res, grainy and dark. From looking at the review at Steve's digicams, the pictures look OK as well. I bought the camera dock as well. Although I think it is over priced at $80, it will make it easier for my Dad to transfer the pictures.

OK to answer the questions.

I have two digicams, a little Canon S230 Elph and a Nikon CP990.

1. Canon for travelling, keeping it in the car and for capture shots you would have missed otherwise because you didn't have a digicam or your primary one was too big. The Nikon for everything else from parties, to people shots and for flashlight beams in which you really need manual settings. I was surprised but I use the little Canon now at least 75 percent of the time.

2. Answered above

3. Canon, pretty well although it has it's shortcomings. The Nikon fairly well but is slow in operation and focuses poorly in lower light levels. It is nearly four years old now though. Was state of the art at the time of it's release.

4. My next camera will replace the Nikon. I want something with faster operation including focus speed and shot to shot times. The Canon digital rebel fits the needs but is big and lens and accesories are expensive. Some of the newer consumer digicams are faster and ones on the horizon appear to be more so. If the Nikon broke today and I had to replace it, it would be with either a Canon A80 or G5. I am hoping that by tax return time, Canon will have a successor to the G5.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darkaway, looks like you're a Canon man as well. I love my little S230 although wouldn't you know it, one month after I bought it the S400 came out. I almost bought a G3, then G5 to replace my Nikon CP990 but despite Canon advantages in just about every category, the end picture quality differences weren't quite significant enough for me to spend the money. The Canon menu settings are so much more intuitive and easier to use then the Nikon's. I was fooling around with an A80 at the store the other day and easily figured out how to use and change aperture and shutter priority settings without picking up a manual. With my Nikon I still to this day have to consult the manual to do anything but automatic mode shots.

It is rumored in the camera forums that Canon will be releasing a G6 within the next few months. It's rumored to be 6 and change megapixel, with 5x zoom yet 20 percent smaller then the current G5. Of course this is just a rumor and the people are pretty skeptical as to the validity of these rumors.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Raggie, do you like your Kodak 6330? Are you pleased with the results, particularly indoor shots? I assume you mean the CX6330, the 3 meg pix, 3x optical zoom one. I got one for a Christmas gift after playing with one at Circuit City. Although I didn't have a compact flash card with me to save pictures, I was amazed at the quality of the camera for the price ($180). Nice and solidly built with an articulate LCD. I've looked at other inexpensive cameras before and usually their LCD if they even have one, is lo-res, grainy and dark. From looking at the review at Steve's digicams, the pictures look OK as well. I bought the camera dock as well. Although I think it is over priced at $80, it will make it easier for my Dad to transfer the pictures.

OK to answer the questions.

I have two digicams, a little Canon S230 Elph and a Nikon CP990.

1. Canon for travelling, keeping it in the car and for capture shots you would have missed otherwise because you didn't have a digicam or your primary one was too big. The Nikon for everything else from parties, to people shots and for flashlight beams in which you really need manual settings. I was surprised but I use the little Canon now at least 75 percent of the time.

2. Answered above

3. Canon, pretty well although it has it's shortcomings. The Nikon fairly well but is slow in operation and focuses poorly in lower light levels. It is nearly four years old now though. Was state of the art at the time of it's release.

4. My next camera will replace the Nikon. I want something with faster operation including focus speed and shot to shot times. The Canon digital rebel fits the needs but is big and lens and accesories are expensive. Some of the newer consumer digicams are faster and ones on the horizon appear to be more so. If the Nikon broke today and I had to replace it, it would be with either a Canon A80 or G5. I am hoping that by tax return time, Canon will have a successor to the G5.

[/ QUOTE ]
well so far i love it .it has great pics i havve not took many pics yet. but the ones i took was great blows my fuji away.battery life with akilines is a joke maybe 5 pics. i have some nicads ill try them next ill try to post some pics soon it takes great pics.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Shooting pictures of my cat, my fiance, and my luxeon experiements.
2) Canon PowerShot G3, Hoya lens kit, reversed 55mm prime
3) High image quality, manual focus ability, full manual mode, low noise, IR remote, intuitive interface. With the macro lenses, ~10mm frame coverage (lets me get in close to those luxeon dice)
4) If any, the EOS-10D, with a nice zoom, and a good macro. Faster AF and no noise at ISO400 would be nice, but, in reality, it's completely unnecessary.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Nikon 995 to record things; like if I'm taking apart something, and want to have a detailed record of what it looks like without having to open it up again.
When I work on a car, I like getting pictures of things just for the record. It's nice because the 6x playback zoom really lets you see every detail in the picture on the camera screen.
It works well as a quick and dirty scanner for me too, to record documents, statements, rebates, etc, which is much faster than using a real scanner-

The macro is the major feature that works so well I don't really feel any need to get anything else, except for an inexpensive little manual focus Gateway, which I just carry around for spur of the moment snapshots- I'd probably be a lot better off with something like the S230, but this was just an impulse purchase, and I figured I wouldn't need to worry about losing it, and I don't really expect much from it-

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Fuji S5000 and I am still learning to use it.
10X optical zoom. 3+MP.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you that are living in California, Samys camera is having tax free sale on most items. Today 5pm is the last day. They also match prices with other retailers that carry USA warrantied products. Just picked up an EF 17-40mm F/4L for $686.95 shipped. I normally order from outside CA to save on taxes, but this way I get the item in a day or two. Another reason I have it shipped is because they do not honor their internet prices at their stores so I had to have them ship it to my house for $8.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Taking a lot of general photos (flashlights, life happenings, and the like) along with photography shots.

2) Sony F707. (The one before the F717)

3) Excellent when I got it a year ago, and still very well today. I got it because it was 5MP, had a 3x optical zoom, and had a good feel too it.

4) I'm currently looking at getting a Canon Digital SLR or the like. One thing about the 707 or 717 is size. It won't fit in a pocket at all and can be downright big at times, but it has a nice feel too it (feels like a solid camera) and is easy to use.

Overall the Sony has been a great camera and I've shot close to 8000 pictures with it. It has stayed top of the line for the most part for close to a year, and I'm sure it would still be high tech and very useable for the next year or 2 if I so choose. My reasons for upgrading would be that I would like to be able to take more sequential shots, and have bigger memory sticks w/o swaping (the F717 can use sticks that are up to 1gb each.) Image size and quality is still great at 5MP.

-Mike

jtice

Flashaholic
1.) Everything. Family events, adventures with freinds, pics of lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
2.) Canon A10 and HP PhotoSmart 912
A10 is small, and alittle beatup. I use it for hikes, and outdorr things. The HP is higher MegePix, and does better Macros.
3.) The two cameras serve 2 differnt purposes. The A10 for rough and tumble outdoor things, and the larger HP for better, closer, and setup indoor photos.
4.) I want a Canon A80. Same shape as my A10, but smaller, and does even better pics than my HP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have a Casio Exilim that I purchased for its size. It's not bad and I mostly got it because it was so small. I don't like big camaras. Last night QVC had these key-chained sized digital camaras for $25.00. I order (4) of them. They don't have a flash, but do come with SW and USB cable to transfer the images. I figure for that price, I can throw it into my computer bag and not worry too much about it.