Surefire L1 in 2014?

Onthelightside

Enlightened
I really like the L1 in the function and style, but the output of the light is very low compared to today's standards. How difficult is the L1 lumamax to modify in order to gain more output. Also, is that output useful in daily tasks?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think its output is plenty for daily tasks. if anything, i think its low mode is too bright.
if you want more output with the same dual-stage momentary you can take a look at surefire's EB1-T.
their EB2-T and LX2 also have the same interface with more output, except that it uses 2 x CR123.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think its output is plenty for daily tasks. if anything, i think its low mode is too bright.
if you want more output with the same dual-stage momentary you can take a look at surefire's EB1-T.
their EB2-T and LX2 also have the same interface with more output, except that it uses 2 x CR123.

I agree with skyfire. I miss my L1 mostly because of the grip the knurling gave but the low was too bright. The outputs on my EB1-T are both low enough and high enough but the body could use more grip, still searching for a fix for that one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I had Milky mod my latest Gen. SF L1.

Low is 40 lumens. High is 200+. (And that's out the front for both settings.)

It's my main EDC light. Absolutely fantastic!

Sadly seems that Scott is no longer taking any new orders and is in the process of returning some lights, unfinished.

Onthelightside

Enlightened
I had Milky mod my latest Gen. SF L1.

Low is 40 lumens. High is 200+. (And that's out the front for both settings.)

It's my main EDC light. Absolutely fantastic!

Sadly seems that Scott is no longer taking any new orders and is in the process of returning some lights, unfinished.
Yes that sounds like it would be perfect. I have a few lights that are really bright, I have never owned a Surefire light and out of all of the Surefires that I have seen the L1 digital seems to be really cool and practical. I might have to try it out and see what kind of modification I can do. I have some electronics background, but this seems like a bit difficult light to modify.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
My guess is that Vinh could modify an L1. I have a Vinh modified LX2 that holds its own against today's lights. The low is nice and low which is very useful with night adapted vision.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes that sounds like it would be perfect. I have a few lights that are really bright, I have never owned a Surefire light and out of all of the Surefires that I have seen the L1 digital seems to be really cool and practical. I might have to try it out and see what kind of modification I can do. I have some electronics background, but this seems like a bit difficult light to modify.

I do know Scott had to modify the stock switch. It still functions like the stock L1 switch for changing mods, but he made it clear that the tailcap switch is no longer stock. Just looks and functions that way though.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
One easy way to bump up lumens is to run a RCR123 in it - from what I've read you can get 200 OTF lumens with that battery.

Onthelightside

Enlightened
One easy way to bump up lumens is to run a RCR123 in it - from what I've read you can get 200 OTF lumens with that battery.

Yeah, I saw some people are doing that but the L1 driver seems sensitive, apparently some have burned up with moderate use.