Black Diamond Icon (PT Apex) vs. Spark SX Performance

russelwallace

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to decide between the Black Diamond Icon (the new, 2012 or 200 lumen version, which seems to be a completely revamped version and almost a clone of the Princeton Tec Apex) and the Spark SX5 as a herping as well as general night-hiking/camping headlamp. I have settled on these two because they seem reliable, robust, more or less "waterproof" (maybe not for diving, but at least in heavy rains and a dunking or two), and have appropriate power sources (AA, rechargeable or otherwise). Looking for herps means that I need relatively decent lux -- the higher the better -- and a typical session lasts for 6-8 hours, so this output should be able to last this long.

On paper, the BD Icon seems, at first, spectacular -- 200 lumens for 80 hrs?? The Spark SX5, in contrast, reports 180 lumens for 4.2 hours.

However, on close inspection of the specs, I find that the BD Icon's 200 lumen output is the regulated "high" output which only lasts for the first 25% of the battery life. Does anyone know how long this is in terms of clock time using, e.g. alkaline or lithium AA's? And what is the light fall-off after that (e.g., am I looking at a rapid decline to a < 50 lumens, after which things just hang in there till it burns out, or is it a gradual decline)? If I decide, somewhat arbitrarily, that 100 lumens is my "useful" lighting, how can I figure how much actual time the BD Icon can give me at this level and above? I have read that driver in the BD Icon is similar if not the same as the Princeton Tec Apex, so if anyone has this data from the PT Apex that would be great.

If the BD Icon puts out 100 lumens only for, e.g., a couple of hours, then the Spark SX5 is the clear winner, if, as I suspect, its reported performance is actual regulated performance. If, on the other hand, the BD Icon takes a long enough time to fall out of regulated burn, and even then continues to kick out decent lumens for several hours, then it would have the edge, I think.

Do any of you good folk have any information that might be able to help here?

Ktraughb

Newly Enlightened
I watched quite a few reviews regarding the icon. A pretty reliable source said he was resulting 7+ hours of good light from the icon for overnight hiking. Its on my list of potentials. I have researched the apex as well. Its an interesting unit, but I'm not a fan of the battery configuration. It seems a lot of sources like black diamond as the best Headlamps out there, even their entry level stuff.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
I would never consider Icon over Apex - the BD handling and operation in my opinion su**, very limited head angle range, you cannot use any other power sources than AA.
BD runtime is ANSI runtime :
ypoy.jpg

After 10 hours the range drops from 100 to 15m... In reality it reaches about 50m range just after 4 hours to get those 75hours of burn-time.

Spark runtimes ale fully regulated runtimes, the only issue here is that for running the battery pack with 26650 cell will be a bit to heavy, but for walking just fine.

russelwallace

Newly Enlightened
I would never consider Icon over Apex - the BD handling and operation in my opinion su**, very limited head angle range, you cannot use any other power sources than AA.
After 10 hours the range drops from 100 to 15m... In reality it reaches about 50m range just after 4 hours to get those 75hours of burn-time.
Spark runtimes ale fully regulated runtimes, the only issue here is that for running the battery pack with 26650 cell will be a bit to heavy, but for walking just fine.

Thanks.

I used to swear by PT in the pre-LED days (I used to use a PT predator pro for years). But since I got an Apex, I have had the casing crack by itself (i.e., no knocking or mechanical damage). I read that this is a common occurrence with the PT design. Sure, they will replace it without question (best warranty in the business) .... but that is pretty useless when on a three week trip in a rainforest or 4000 m up a mountain! So, no more PT Apex for me.

The BD disadvantages you mention are no big deal (compared to reliability of the light in actual conditions): the head angle range-of-motion is fine for 99% of actual usage, and
standardizing on AA power source is an important part of my trip planning (much of our other equipment, e.g. camrea flashes and GPS' use AA, so we make sure a supply is always available).

So with the BD Icon, light output drops to roughly 1/2 after 4 hours and then 15% after 10 hours? That is still pretty impressive, no? Considering with the SX5 it can run at 1/2 of max (roughly) for 4.5 hours and then it stops? In fact, it seems that this is the most efficient high-output small (=head-mounted) standard-power (=AA or AAA) LED I have come across!

Ktraughb

Newly Enlightened
Holy crap...why am I just now seeing the spark sx5?! This may be the light I have to buy. Those specs and features are incredible!