FordEx Group LED lights - anyone have experience with them?

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
There's a 300-lumen LED flashlight from the FordEx Group that's very popular on Amazon right now. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E0QAFY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The specs are nice, but the price seems seems a little too good to be true. Does anyone here have any experience with these lights? How do they compare with lights from, say, 4Sevens or Surefire?

ipig

Newly Enlightened
I have several, and actually just ordered another 3 mode today.

Brightness is a good value, i would say it's at least 85-90LM on AA if not closer to 100.

The zoom is pretty cool, it can hit trees from a good distance. Entertainment value.

They can be a bit inconsistent depending on who you buy from. It's kind of a random grab bag.

Worst case scenario you get a single mode with a bit of a blurry lens.

Best case scenario you get a 1 or 3 mode with a crisp square output.

I had one leak an alki & had to toss it. (i may have left that one on for an extended period not sure)

They are not water resistant (because of the zoom)

I have yet to have a problem running protected AW 14500's in them. Seems to stay cool. Really bright on those.

Shipping is usually 15-20+ days.

swan

Banned
Its a sipik 68 clone which is a copy of a nitecore, they are everywhere under many different names- run a 14500 and dedome for some throw.

Ruislip

Newly Enlightened
I have 2, both single mode. Bit of play in the zoom heads. One will tail stand, the other will not as the clicky cover protrudes more on one of them. Ceiling comparison shows them as slightly brighter than the max 80lm of my mc10. At max zoom you can see the image of the Led emitter projected onto your ''target'. Tail clicky seems the same as those on the cheapo 9 led you find everywhere. Good to shove in a bag for occasional use.

Edit: should have said I use them with alkalines, but they can also apparently handle 14500s, which would make them a lot brighter [and hotter]. One report of them lasting for 30 minutes continuous use on alkalines.

Last edited:

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information. It seems the flashlights from 4Sevens or similar companies would still be much better performers, then.

weekend warrior

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of them, they're great.

Like ipig said, the quality can be hit or miss, luckily all the one I got were good quality. For the price you can't beat em. Buy a dozen, hid one everywhere.