Which light for camping/emergency? Fenix, Four Sevens, Surefire, Peak

tbarton84

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a general purpose flashlight to take with me for camping/emergencies. I want the light to meet the following criteria:

1. 100+ hour runtime on low
2. Be reliable
3. 100+ Lumens on high.
4. Run the more common AA battery type
5. Have some waterproofing

Now that being said, I have had my eye on a few flashlights since joining this forum not that long ago. Here they are:

Four Sevens - Quark Tactical QT2A
Pros: super long run time 720 Hours? Simply unmatched, from what flashlights I have seen. 246 Lumens on high and uses AA batteries.
Cons: I have read a few stories of the reliability not being so great have they fixed this?
are they waterproof?

Fenix - LD22

Pros: 150 hour run time on low. No where near the 720 hour claim from the Quark but still acceptable. 215 lumens on high. Waterproof
Cons: I'm not sure about the other power button. I usually prefer the button to only be in one spot, the tail cap. Less places for it to be accidentally be turned on from if bumped in a pack or bag.

Surefire E2L Outdoorsman

Pros: American made, AA battery type. 115 lumens on high. 100+ hour run time on low. If it is like my other surefires, it is tough.
Cons: again nowhere near the four sevens quark runtime on low but that that seems very hard to beat from what I have seen.

Peak Logan 17500

Pros: American made, multiple battery options "which I love the idea of that, specially for emergency situations"
300 lumens on high

Cons: It is smaller so it uses a single battery. I am not sure on the runtime but with only a single AA or other, the runtime even on low I would think could not match the other lights I have listed.

So what do you all think? Which flashlight would you choose as a tough emergency/outdoor type flashlight that isn't going to break when you need it the most? One of these? An entirely different light? etc

Thanks for your help

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for proven reliability then go with Surefire.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC52 L2 runs for 3 months on low.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a minimalist camper and traveler with a bit of prepper in me. You should add the Malkoff MDC AA to your short list, it blew away all my AA/sub-lumen lights in a side-by-side efficiency run (Quarks, ZLs, D25s, Peak, etc) and is a built-proof, uber quality US manufacturer.

I prefer single AAs since you don't have to worry about finding pair batts, and in a pinch, it's much easier to use AAAs and AAAAs (from 9Vs) with piece of MacGyver tinfoil. I also prefer mechanical clickies since they are easily field serviced, repair/replaceable, and at the very least by-passable with a piece of tinfoil. After drop testing, clickies tend to be the first point of failure as the most significant moving part and wear item.

Quarks are my favorite (a lego'd QPA-X), as the most versatile. Fully supports all "AA" chemistries (NiMh/Alk/L91/CRAA/14500), and in a pinch with a piece of MacGyver tinfoil, anything between CR123s and 18650s (from laptops). Lego-able bodies and batt configs, of course. One of brightest (ie, broadly useable), most efficient moonlight modes (might be my most often used mode). US-style warranty, CS and location.

One word of advice... the spec sheet claims of some manufacturers are pure BS :)

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for reliability then I'd recommend 2 flashlights.
Maybe a good 2 x AA light and a good 1 x AA light - sharing the same widely available battery type and if one fails you still have the other.

I've never had any problem with 4Sevens or Zebralight or Fenix or Jetbeam or Fenix, but in an emergency I don't think I'd be comfortable with only 1 light.

KQL

Newly Enlightened
If you go the Zebralight route, take a look at their headlamp equivalents (H52 for SC52), the 90-degree head makes them very versatile, can use them as headlamps, they can be put on a surface to light a task area for you, glue a magnet to the bottom for even more options. I like using mine with the supplied clip, just clip it to your shirt pocket and you have freed up both hands and your work area is well lit.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Take a look at the best/worst purchases thread in the general light discussion section, and you will find a very high number of "best" ratings for both FourSevens and Fenix. Nothing is totally issue-free regardless of how much you pay. I agree with getting a second, smaller light so that you have a backup.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also agree with having at least two lights for camping. I would not want to be stuck with one light and have it fail on me while out in the woods.