Thrunite TN32 Question

beamis

Newly Enlightened
It appears that the TN32 runs the three 18650 batteries in series for a nominal 11.1V (why not in parallel for 3.7V)? Anyway, my real question is about using protected cells in this light. In this review, JohnnyMac writes that the TN32 can only accept cells up to 69mm, which rules out a lot of Panasonic-based protected cells. I'm a little nervous about running unprotected cells in a multi-cell light, especially if it doesn't have a low voltage cutoff. I can't tell from any of the reviews or Thrunite specs whether the light will cutoff when the cells get low. I'm guessing that since they're in series there is no cutoff.

I'm inclined to use unprotected NCR18650B cells since Panasonics are quality cells with their own internal protection against runaway thermal events. Any advice?

hikingman

Enlightened
Another review and my own experience with my TN31, has protected cells fitting. Eagletac 3400's go in just fine.

mmander

Newly Enlightened
I think there is an advantage as far as regulation when your driver input voltage is considerably higher than the Vf of the LED, so the series setup makes sense in this hard-driven light I'd say.

As far as battery sizes, I have some Fasttech supplied Panasonic NCR18650B button-top protected cells that measure about 69mm and while a little tight, they do fit fine. You might get another 1/2mm or so of compression out of the springs and maybe even 70mm cells would just barely squeeze in, but that would probably be pushing it...

TN32_NCR18650B-prot.jpg

For my Soshine or EagleTac protected 3400mAh button-top batteries, no fit issues since they are both about 68mm in length and they both use Panasonic cells as well. I didn't think there were that many Panasonic based protected batteries longer than 69mm these days? The Soshine cells seem a bargain BTW and they are what I am regularly using in my TN32. IlluminationSupply has them for $20 a pair so I cannot see any real reason to buy anything bulkier or unprotected to try and save money when they're to be used in a fairly expensive light like this?

TN32_Soshine3400-prot.jpg

As far as unprotected batteries, why risk it when you can get decent protected ones for $10 each? It's not like the TN32 requires batteries that supply more current than the Soshine cells can manage, which are rated to have a 7-8 amp protection cutoff. The protection circuit might not be needed for overheating when using Panasonic cells internally, but it's nice to have to prevent over-charging or, especially, over-disharging...

Capolini

Banned
Will the UltraFire 5600mah 18650's fit in this torch ok???

Stay away from anything ending in "FIRE"!! There is NO SUCH 18650 W/ 5600MaH!!! Those batteries are falsely advertised, unsafe, sometimes recycled and not worth the risk,besides being bad quality.

Edit: mmander covered several types you can use. I also use the NCR and E'tac for this torch. Cytac[$15/each] from IS will also fit.

Last edited:

olemil

Newly Enlightened
I know that Nitecore and Orbtronic 3400mah protected cells fit in the TN32 fine also.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac 3100 batteries fit great in these carriers. I believe the 3400 are the same dimensions as the 3100, too.

RemcoM

Enlightened
About the TN32,

Where can i get one?

Is it in production?

I not see it on the website of Thrunite.

Love n Light

Newly Enlightened
I have the Keeppower 3400 m with Panasonic cells from illumination supply and they work great in my Tn32

JulianP

Enlightened
I think there is an advantage as far as regulation when your driver input voltage is considerably higher than the Vf of the LED, so the series setup makes sense in this hard-driven light I'd say.

As far as battery sizes, I have some Fasttech supplied Panasonic NCR18650B button-top protected cells that measure about 69mm and while a little tight, they do fit fine. You might get another 1/2mm or so of compression out of the springs and maybe even 70mm cells would just barely squeeze in, but that would probably be pushing it...

TN32_NCR18650B-prot.jpg

For my Soshine or EagleTac protected 3400mAh button-top batteries, no fit issues since they are both about 68mm in length and they both use Panasonic cells as well. I didn't think there were that many Panasonic based protected batteries longer than 69mm these days? The Soshine cells seem a bargain BTW and they are what I am regularly using in my TN32. IlluminationSupply has them for $20 a pair so I cannot see any real reason to buy anything bulkier or unprotected to try and save money when they're to be used in a fairly expensive light like this?
What is the mAh capacity of the Panasonic in the photo? There are a few variations with different lengths. I got my TN32 today and a few mm could make all the difference to whether they fit or not.

mmander

Newly Enlightened
What is the mAh capacity of the Panasonic in the photo? There are a few variations with different lengths. I got my TN32 today and a few mm could make all the difference to whether they fit or not.

They are 3400 mAh Panasonic protected button-top batteries from FastTech that measure to just a hair over 69mm. How consistent that measurement is over time though, I could't say since I only ever bought a set of four once. I bought these last June or July I think.

For what it's worth, I have bought two sets of 3400 mAh EagleTac and 3400 mAh Soshine batteries now, both several months apart, and they do seem totally consistent at just over 68mm each time.

Dogtown

Newly Enlightened
Stay away from anything ending in "FIRE"!! There is NO SUCH 18650 W/ 5600MaH!!! Those batteries are falsely advertised, unsafe, sometimes recycled and not worth the risk,besides being bad quality.

Edit: mmander covered several types you can use. I also use the NCR and E'tac for this torch. Cytac[$15/each] from IS will also fit.
Oh turd I have 8 of the ultra fire 5600!! I must say tho I've used them in my nitecore p16 for a while now and not had any probs. BUT today I tried them on my new thrunite 32 and the torch would not turn on to its full power setting. It would flash bright and then be on its lowest mode even tho the switch was on full power. I then pulled apart an old laptop battery from my Dell studio, charged those up and the torch works fine. Can you guys recommend me a good 18650 please.

kj2

Flashaholic
Oh turd I have 8 of the ultra fire 5600!! I must say tho I've used them in my nitecore p16 for a while now and not had any probs. BUT today I tried them on my new thrunite 32 and the torch would not turn on to its full power setting. It would flash bright and then be on its lowest mode even tho the switch was on full power. I then pulled apart an old laptop battery from my Dell studio, charged those up and the torch works fine. Can you guys recommend me a good 18650 please.

For good recommendations, check the battery-section here on the forum. :)