dslextreme.com dynamic vs static?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was checking out the site listed below for dslextreme, an inexpensive dsl provider. I was wondering if anyone has experience with them. They offer an less costly dynamic ip service and a more expensive static one. Since I'm not a technical person I don't understand the ramifications of each. My take is a static address would be required for web hosting when ones needs for a permanent address are needed and the dynamic one uses a different one on each use.
http://www.dslextreme.com/dsl/index.php

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Static IP's are used generally for web hosting. Dynamic IP's are used more for "home" broadband and dialup. Hosting companies generally use dynamic IP's to keep you from hosting a website. It also offers you a small amount of security. On a dialup, your IP changes with every log-on. With broadband, they have an expiration date. There are a few companies that offer a static IP for slower broadband connections, but more and more seem to be going dynamic.

Tomas

Banned
If you are planning to have your home machine act as a 'server' and accessible easily by others, you will want 'static' IP.

Otherwise, the dynamic IP will be fine.

T_sig6.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been with earthlink (originally mindspring) for 7 years next month. I'm almost afraid to change but I'm also paying $51 a month and would be paying about half that if I switched to dslesteme on the sbc network which I'm already on anyway. I was trying to find out if anyone has had experiences with dsl extreme because if something is too good to be true, it probably is, but then again, maybe they have a lower overhead and can charge less.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woa for a minute there I though we were going to talk about dynamic v. static rope...lol

GregR

dark star

Enlightened
dslextreme always has good reviews on dslreports . I wish I could get a fast cheap static line for hosting a website but the dynamics lines are so much cheaper.