Best Book for a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

spookyspiff

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've always been a gadget and gear geek, but recently i've become much more interested in electronics and electricity.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book that teaches watts, ohms, volts, etc? Something at about the level of a "howstuffworks" article (but more in depth) or high school science book. Maybe with some projects thrown in too.

(I just can't justify buying lots of flashlights without learning something too!)
?

Thanks!

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Try: Starting Electronics by Keith Brindley. Available on Amazon and Borders.

Pros: Starts with basics, but doesn't get too deep into things like valence electrons, current flow vs electron flow... Instead it starts at the circuit level. You work lessons in this book on a breadboard so you do hands-on which sometimes makes more sense than just theory.

Cons: He should have put a consolidated list of parts necessary - you find out what you need as the lesson progresses. You require a breadboard (available at Radio Shack, Jameco, Mouser...), a multimeter, and electronic parts (resistors, capacitors, LED's...)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Do a "Google" search for "Compton's Learning Electronics". It's a 5 CD set, learn at your own pace that runs about $20 (a very good value!). It's for ages 16 to adult, so I think it would would be a versatile piece of software for you.

Here's a little "snapshot" of cover information:

"Electronic Devices, Integrated Circuits, Digital Systems, Networks...1000's of turorials on 80+ topics, 700+ practice problems, 3+ hours of video, and 100s of helpful illustrations".

It's alot of info for the price! Compton's has a line of this type of software from Astronomy to Lauguages...and who knows what else! I'm looking for that "Brain Surgery" set!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.