Reactor 3

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the flickering is due to the sh*tty switch they use..

my original Reactor does this too on occasion.. i find the best way to avoid it is to use the switch in both directions when turning off and on.. give it some variety.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem as you a 2-3 months back, and I sent my light back to CMG. They sent me a replacement, which was suppose to be an 'improved' version.

LightScene

Enlightened
The original Reactor 3 had a bad switch design, and also a problem with the tail cap resistor. If you send it back to CMG, they will send you the new version.

You can overdrive it by bypassing the tail switch resistor, with aluminum foil, but be careful not to burn out the luxeon. It won't last long if you use NiMh with no resistance.

You might be able to add another resistor in parallel to increase the current flow. Or just replace the original resistor.

If you don't screw it up, you have a life time warranty.

george9c1

Newly Enlightened
Had a Reactor 3 myself. Had the same flickering problem. It drove me crazy that I couldn't open up the light to see what was going on to cause the problem. With the help of a screwdriver and channelocks, I had the answer 20 minutes later. The led module ground connection is a thin metal spring that rides in a groove cut into the flashlight body. The spring itself appears to be made from plated copper or brass and thus isn't an ideal material to use for a spring. When you twist the head of the light you are making the head rotate while the module rides up and down in a track. The module comes down and makes good contact with the head of the battery, but the spring clip has only a tiny contact surface with the body of the light. From the way the lights are made it appears that many of the lights have this spring clip overstressed upon assembly so that it's never really making good contact with the body. With a little usage, it loosens up more and you have an intermittent flickering problem. Unless they have changed the design or materials of this light i don't see it lasting through many on/off cycles.

Hopes this helps some who may be ready to tear their light apart. It would be pretty hard to do without destroying it as I did to mine. Better to exchange it and give it to your kid for a Christmas present or someone else who won't need to depend on it.

George