I'm confused

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I\'m confused

Thinkning about trying to make myself an HID light. Would like to do it cheaply. (well, as cheap as HID can be) I was thinking I could get a kit on ebay for converting a car to HID. If I was to buy something like this, would I be able to put that into a spot light that takes an H3 bulb? I mean, the balast would probably be external, but other than that, would it just drop right in?

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Re: I\'m confused

Well, you could do something like that.
You would have to figure out what that will cost you in the long run.

The other option is the X990, now called the BH990 (?).
It runs about $430 dollars (last time I checked), comes with two batteries, a charger, and a 5 year warranty. Essentially the X990 is the professional version of what you are attempting.

Now, if you got two light modules and ballasts, you could actually build two lights for the $280 that those sell for. You could possibly sell the second one here....

As for the bulb focusing in a standard spot, I'm not sure. The only problem that I am aware of is that most bulb reflectors are set up for the planer filament that they expect out of a halogen. Once you put the longitudinal HID in its place, you won't end up with the same pattern you had before. A problem? Maybe not....

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Floating Spots said:
Now, if you got two light modules and ballasts, you could actually build two lights for the $280 that those sell for. You could possibly sell the second one here....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What do you guys think a well made HID spot light like that would be worth? Has anybody made something like I'm talking about?

I guess the main question I'm asking here is, does an H3 HID bulb fit into a standard H3 socket?

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

If they are selling the kit for cars, then I can't imagine they wouldn't, but you should check with the seller, but, caveat emptor!

I think if you found an HID of more that 35 watts, then messing around to make a superlight brighter than the BF990 would be worth it.

cheese